• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax 80 and Baader Zoom - Not Coming to Focus (1 Viewer)

I also tried the the XW10 at the same time and I couldn't get along with it, kept getting blackout. ...

It's simple to avoid this problem on the XWs - just turn the eyecup up until the blackouts disappear - I read this several times but is just a misuse of the ep...

The recent Baader Morpheus seem also very good being that the XW have the advantage of being waterproof. I hope to test a Morpheus 4.5 next month and I'm curious to see the extra 6º AFOV when compared to the XWs...

It's simple to avoid this problem on the XWs - just turn the eyecup up until the blackouts disappear - I read this several times but is just a misuse of the ep...

Yes, but when you do that you lose the FoV, which is one of the attractions of the lens. I don't get any blackout with the Morpheus 9mm.

As requested here are some photos of the spacer I constructed yesterday for the Baader zoom. Here in BC our milk comes in plastic 4L jugs. This material is easy to recycle and use for misc projects.

I removed one wall of the jug and cut it into 1.5cm wide strip. Then I taped one end of the strip on the nose of the zoom and marked the gluing area. Then I glued up with regular household contact cement. When the glue was ready I wrapped the strip around the nose, taped it in place then inserted the zoom into the Pentax80 and tightened the collette.

Then I left the unit overnight and went out this morning. There is enough space between the "plastic wrap" and the collette to allow for it to be snuggly tightened. And the "plastic wrap" is tight enough on the nose that it stays secure in the collette without fear of the EP sliding out if I get sloppy handling the EP. But it is loose enough that I can remove the "plastic wrap" when I need the EP for my astronomical binoviewer.

Hmm...the sequence of these photos is a bit odd but you get the idea.

Attachments

• 20160320-2016-03-20 15.18.10-2.jpg
    20160320-2016-03-20 15.18.10-2.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 210
  • 20160320-2016-03-20 15.16.24-2.jpg
    20160320-2016-03-20 15.16.24-2.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 20160319-2016-03-19 11.29.44-2.jpg
    20160319-2016-03-19 11.29.44-2.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 20160319-2016-03-19 11.30.40-2.jpg
    20160319-2016-03-19 11.30.40-2.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 149
Yes, but when you do that you lose the FoV, which is one of the attractions of the lens. I don't get any blackout with the Morpheus 9mm.

Nope! If the eyecup is in the correct position you see all FOV and don´t have blackouts!... However is nice that the Morpheus don't have blackouts, also because you can't regulate the eyecup position, besides totally up or folded down.
In astro use I read that the Morpheus have a cool detail that is that, with the eyecup down, you can find a position where you "seem to not see the eyepiece". Did you noticed that also for birding?

I had the lens for a week, I don't wear glasses and I tried it in various positions. Maybe the exit pupil was too small for the 65mm scope. I don't know. The Morpheus are brilliant , but the eyecup is next to useless. It's very soft, as soon as you go anywhere near it it collapses. And it's a poor fit in the lens. It could easily be lost just by rubbish on you clothing.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back