• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mhg 8x42 (1 Viewer)

dries1

I have been looking to obtain a 8X42 glass for a while now and decided on a MHG 8X42. I was deciding between a LXL/premier or the new MHG , well my wife said I could it for Xmas. So being curious I got it the other day, wanted to make sure I got a good sample.
This is the second new out of the box for me besides the EIIs I purchased new. I have a Cabelas near me, however all they have in store are the Monarch Prostaff/5/7s. I used some points and got it for $900.00 with the Nikon warranty, all my other Nikons were bought used. I figure I can look at a Premier 8X42 down the road, perhaps at a discount price since they are discontinued I believe, not sure about that.

Caviat
I have only spent a short time with the glass, so some of my thoughts on minor issues may change and I do not have other really high end roofs to compare it to except my HGs from 2002-2004, and my SE and EII 8X32 roofs.

Re the MHg, I am impressed with the case finish, ergonomics of the function, shape/feel, diopter, and the surprising light weight, the storage case is better than the ones that came with the HGs. The strap is a bit long but has some stretch to lower the bounce.
The eye relief is more than enough, though I do not wear glasses. The focus has a longer travel than my Hgs, I had to get used to this. I believe Brock, (I have read many of his posts regarding the HGs and has extensive experience with the glass) spoke of the HGs quick focus like quick mcgraw, (my 10X32HG has a very short field of focus, a bit too fast, so it is used more for viewing at distance), the 8X32HGs much easier to live with.

Well I got used to the MHGs focus travel and once the diopter was locked and set, I had a chance to view the very wide field. And that was a surprise, for this format (8X42) the view is WIDE close to the EII for FOV at 8.3 degrees.

As a side note, IMO, The older HG has a better locking mechanism but I guess that this was sacrificed for lowering the weight on the MHG).

It handles glare well, and it is very bright.
The view is not as flat as my HG 8X32 7.8 degrees FOV, but has a IMO a very generous size sweet spot, (I look straight ahead I do not peek up at the corners)

I look forward to using this glass for years to come, I am getting used to the general shape/handling of the roof and am beginning to like it.

Cons, I know I may offend some roof aficionados, but the detail and texture say of tree bark and branches viewed longitudinally are not as clear as my new 8X32 SE or the NEW EII (the new coatings on this glass rival my Se from say 2009?) I still love the 3-D view of porros.

My older 8X32HGs under bright conditions may even have an edge with detail but the MHGs bright overall wide FOV is great viewing, I am sometimes distracted with the EII because of the wide FOV, so with the more time I intend to spend with the MHG in different conditions I will likely have better defined observations.
Now I am not an optics veteran but I wonder if some of these new coatings which enhance light to the occular (view) may take away some of the contrast from certain objects under view. I don't know how to explain it but the view through my 8X32s Hgs is warm, and relaxing (only under bright conditions) - under dim conditions it lags behind in brightness. Perhaps it is a balance. At dusk the MHG suits my viewing needs, here the obvious exit pupil allows me to see what I cannot see with a 8X32 glass and that is why I purchased them.

I summation I am very pleased with my purchase, since for me spending this $$ on one glass was a tough decision. I want to thank all the forum members for their insight, discussion and observations, which aided me to make this decision.
The MHG is a keeper for me, and also forgot to mention, through a contact of mine I was able to procure another HG 8X32 mint in box, never opened for a great price. Pics below.

The old vet with the new member in the pics below, and by the way

THE SE AND EII STILL PROVIDE THE BEST VIEW IMO FOR OVERALL NATURE VIEWING, after all I see with my own eyes in 3-D.
Just having fun, starting to really like the roofs. Hopefully, I won't be that fool soon to part with his money for participating on this binocular forum.

Regards,

Andy W.

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

I see in the third picture that you decided to remove the Flip Down Objective Covers that came with the HG and put the alternative rubber objective rings on it instead. I ultimately decided to do the same thing with mine.

I am quite confident that you will be happy with your new HG. It does indeed have a very generous sweet spot. The field flattener probably has something to do with that. Note on Nikon's Performance Icons Compatible Chart (for Roof Prisms only) that the Nikon HG is Nikon's only wide field binocular with a field flattener to date. The big, very expensive 7x50 and 10x50 are not listed.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/sportoptics/binoculars/pdf/Performance_Icons_Compatible_Chart_En.pdf

If you decide to keep it be sure to register it on-line with Nikon. I know from experience with my 4 year old Nikon 10x32 EDG I that Nikon honors its warranties. When the cover on it started to bubble after 4 years of use they replaced it with a new 10x32 EDG II.

Bob

Last edited:
Enjoyed reading your thoughts on your binoculars. I have a few porros but I really can't use them as much as I'd like to due to eye relief. I use them some without glasses. I appreciate the nostalgia and the optical performance of porros but I find a nice roof so much more user friendly....probably because that's what I'm used to.

Glad you like the MHG....I bet you will like them more in time...

Chuck,

I was kidding with the statement about the porros, just what I used for years. My father had a 8X56 Hensoldt roof and it was like carrying around a log. The porros back then were better and more common. I am now realizing how roofs are easier to handle and the quality of the optics are so advanced. I only use 8X30/32 in porros, and the first roof I purchased HG 8X32 got me hooked with the quick focuser, now I am finding that it is best used only when bright outside.

I feel that the MHG is growing on me, the ergonomics are perfect and now getting used to the longer focus travel. I do really like the field of view, when I was out in the open terrain yesterday, it really hit me having a glass with a wide FOV is so much more relaxing. I am glad that I bought these instead of the LX L 8X42 since it is so light and a full degree+ wider view. I just got a Legend 8X42 M, and if that is lighter than the LXL, I don't think I will go back to heavy glass. The 8x32 and the 10X32 Hgs are the only Hgs I will keep.

The MHG is bright, and works well in the field, for the money I am gaining satisfsction, but now understanding the potential for stepping up. I read your birding excursions with some high end glass, great applicable information was garnered by me, more than a discussion of optical characteristics in a lab. That was a lot of work and now I am curious about the Zeiss SF and the EDG 8X42s. Not for a while though, with the $$$$ amount and I want to stay married.
I am truly enjoying the Nikon and yes I am liking it more each time I am out observing.

Andy w.

Andy:

I am enjoying your reviews and how you have such a nice Nikon selection to choose
from. It is fun comparing binoculars, and you are getting lots of practice it seems.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back