• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Vulture on a windowsill??? (1 Viewer)

Terry O'Nolley

Cow-headed Jaybird
I was heading back to the car after spending 2+ hours walking along the old C&O canal state park near Potomac, Maryland when something caught my eye behind a tree up in the second floor window of a 100+ year old, abandoned house.

I stared through my binos and saw the window frame and then noticed that the frame on the window I was looking at had 2 vertical bars instead of 1 (as in the other window). I thought this curious so I moved a little closer and the "bars" moved! YIP!

I looked really close and I realized I wasn't looking at window pane bars - I was looking at the legs of a large bird.

It was very hard to make out as the tree had grown right up against the house and branches blocked a good view. So I moved in closer until I could see that what I was looking at was a Black Vulture sitting in a second-floor windowsill of this old house.

I'd never seen a vulture perched on a windowsill like it was a sparrow before so I took a picture.

Attachments

• bv.jpg
    bv.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 177
According to the last breeding bird atlas for MD and DC, black vultures will nest on the floors of abandoned houses and other such buildings.

dendroica_john said:
According to the last breeding bird atlas for MD and DC, black vultures will nest on the floors of abandoned houses and other such buildings.
Oh wow. I had no idea. It makes sense though - it seems like a perfect place to hole up.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back