• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

JMikeB

Hi eveyone

I currently have a Leica APO 62 Televid with a 16-48 zoom eye piece. I am looking for a suitable camera for digiscoping, originally had my sights on a Coolpix 4500 but this seems to be a discontinued range.

Has anyone any suggestions for a suitable camera in this sort of price range and also an adapter?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike

CP4500 is discontinued but there are some about if you hunt around for them. My local shop (N R Green in Poole) has still got one at about £400. Alternatively they crop up second hand both here and on Ebay fairly regularly.

I haven't used anything else so hesitate on recomendations but the Canon A95 seems fairly popular. For anything else you may struggle for adapters unless you can improvise or have access to a friendly engineer/machinist type.

I still think the CP4500 is about the best digiscoping camera around. The Canon A95 and the Olympus C7070 produce very good results as well and are cheaper and newer technology.

Check out London Camera Exchange (LCE) for digiscoping adapters and also EagleEye once you decide on which camera.

Hi Mike

I'm not sure I'd recommend the cp4500 with the little Leica, I feel it might be a bit heavy on the back of the scope. That said it's a great camera that will give you excellent results. If you are thinking of getting one it might be worth giving warehouse express a call as I notice they have one in their 'bargain basement' for £249.

Last edited:
There is also a brand new one just been advertised in the BF classified. To solve the back heavy problem get a tripod head with a sliding plate so you can adjust the centre of balance. I have just had a QR plate with a sliding block made for my Velbon 157Q head and the difference is phenomenal - it now stays exactly were I put it.

Nikon 4300's can still be picked up for under £150 if you want a lighter, cheaper option that still can give a 28mm thread. It's a bit more basic but not a bad little camera.

I own two Nikon Coolpix 4500s and a Canon A95. The Nikons were good in their day, but their day was a long time ago. The cheap little A95 is clearly better in almost all respects.

Pro:
Much faster.
Noticably better image quality
Better controls, easier to use
Lots cheaper - about half the price.

Con:
Alarmingly light and flimsy feeling, even more easily broken than the CP-4500
Weird zoom (but you get used to it)

All in all, in hands-on use, the Canon feels exactly like what it is: a much newer and more capable unit. Possibly the latest Nikon models can match it (I haven't tried them), but the old 4500 has reached it's use-by date.

i just managed to buy a canon A95 on wednesday, got the last in the shop, as they are now discontinued like the coolpix 4500.

search high and low and you will still be able to get either camera from somewhere/someone!

Nigel G said:
Hi Mike

CP4500 is discontinued but there are some about if you hunt around for them. My local shop (N R Green in Poole) has still got one at about £400. Alternatively they crop up second hand both here and on Ebay fairly regularly.

I haven't used anything else so hesitate on recomendations but the Canon A95 seems fairly popular. For anything else you may struggle for adapters unless you can improvise or have access to a friendly engineer/machinist type.
Hi Nigel,I started out using a CP885 through a Kowa TSN1 and got some fairly good results. I then progressed to a CP4500 and have never had a decent picture. Any advice would be very welcome. (I spend most of my time digiscoping on the Poole estuary)

okkiN said:
Hi Nigel,I started out using a CP885 through a Kowa TSN1 and got some fairly good results. I then progressed to a CP4500 and have never had a decent picture. Any advice would be very welcome. (I spend most of my time digiscoping on the Poole estuary)

ask around for some settings that people are using with success, thats what i found i was lacking with my A95.

instead of constantly going through trail and error, i know have something to go off, and my results are getting better every time!

:t:

okkiN said:

As Salty said - check for recommended settings - particularly Andy Bright's sticky which is where I started. As I said in my PM very happy to meet up and swop notes or help any way I can just give me a ring.

Sony Cybershot P200

Somebody on the largest photo community site in Sweden claims that the Sony Cybershot P200 is the best digiscoping camera on the market at the moment. I've never seen it mentioned in BirdForum. Does anybody have any experience of using it for digiscoping?

Last edited:
Hi JMikeB

i think you will find the contax u4r a worthy buy im sure you can get an adapter for the leica and the camera itself is great ive got one myself connected to an opticron scope good look in finding the right camera.

Regards Nez.

nez said:
Hi JMikeB

i think you will find the contax u4r a worthy buy im sure you can get an adapter for the leica and the camera itself is great ive got one myself connected to an opticron scope good look in finding the right camera.

Regards Nez.

I'd agree that the Contax U4R (or the Kyocera sl400r) would be good options, if you can find one. They are small, light weight cameras, which is great when they're attached to the back of the scope. They are very fast, shooting at just over 3 frames per second and will just keep going 'til you run out of memory.

I have an sl400r and have been using it with my APO62 using an SRB digiscoping sleeve, at just £35 it is a really good option as an adaptor. Another BF member (Deja-vu) makes cable release adaptors and external battery packs for this camera, at just £11 for the two they are essential extras.

This is a link to a shot taken with the Kyocera and the Leica APO 62 with zoom, using the SRB sleeve - http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/63472/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

kyocera 400r still available

postcardcv said:
I'd agree that the Contax U4R (or the Kyocera sl400r) would be good options, if you can find one. They are small, light weight cameras, which is great when they're attached to the back of the scope. They are very fast, shooting at just over 3 frames per second and will just keep going 'til you run out of memory.

I have an sl400r and have been using it with my APO62 using an SRB digiscoping sleeve, at just £35 it is a really good option as an adaptor. Another BF member (Deja-vu) makes cable release adaptors and external battery packs for this camera, at just £11 for the two they are essential extras.

This is a link to a shot taken with the Kyocera and the Leica APO 62 with zoom, using the SRB sleeve - http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/63472/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

The kyocera is still available mailorder direct from opticron,not too sure about the u4r though they are quite a rare camera now.

Hi guys and gals

Went for the coolpix 4500 eventually. Playing with it has been limited so far - my first impressions are as follows:

Reasonably impressed with the focus and the sharpness of the photos
The weight on the back of the scope is a problem - I get focused on somthing and then as soon as I put the camera and adapter on I am struggling to find the bird again - usually end up using the LCD display instead of the eyepiece (not ideal)
Don't have a cable release and I was surprised at how much the camera vibrates when the shutter is pressed
Battery doesn't last very long
I am not a good photographer!

Sounds negative, however I have invested in a spare battery and intend to buy a mechanical release. The rest is practice and perseverence - I will improve when I get used to the kit.

Positive bit is I enjoy a challenge and I will get some half decent photos if it kills me!

JMikeB said:
Reasonably impressed with the focus and the sharpness of the photos
The weight on the back of the scope is a problem - I get focused on somthing and then as soon as I put the camera and adapter on I am struggling to find the bird again - usually end up using the LCD display instead of the eyepiece (not ideal)

This is a fairly common problem, especially using a relatively heavy camera (like the 4500) on the back of a small scope like the Leica 62. There are a couple of ways to counter this problem, one is by adding weight to the front of the scope, the other is to use a tripod head with a sliding section so you can move the scope forward. What tripod are you using?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back