• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recent Sketches (1 Viewer)

jomo

I'm always delighted to see people's sketches on the forum -- post, post, post, everyone! Here's a few recent ones of my own.

Attachments

• sketchbook-2006-06-20.jpg
    sketchbook-2006-06-20.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 194
  • sketchbook-2006-06-27.jpg
    sketchbook-2006-06-27.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 225
  • sketchbook-2006-06-28.jpg
    sketchbook-2006-06-28.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 190
A few more from last weekend's trip up the Bruce Peninsula. Beautiful up there, and some great birding too.

Attachments

• sketchbook-2006-07-01.jpg
    sketchbook-2006-07-01.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 183
  • sketchbook-2006-07-02.jpg
    sketchbook-2006-07-02.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 189
  • sketchbook-2006-07-03.jpg
    sketchbook-2006-07-03.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 179
I made a little field sketch of an Eastern Meadowlark the other day when I was out south of Saint Joseph, Missouri, at Muskrat Lake.

Both the Eastern and Western Meadowlarks were present and I spent some time studying their similarities and differences.

Not a great sketch, but it will help me remember how to tell these two similar species apart.

Attachments

• Field Notes July 11.jpg
    Field Notes July 11.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 178
Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Larry, I don't think anything makes me more aware of how unconsciously I recognize a bird until I attempt a field sketch. So many times I've tried to finish up a drawing of even the most familiar of birds after the bird has gone, and find that I can't for the life of me remember facial patterns I've seen a hundred times before. It's such a good exercise to force me to acknowledge what I'm seeing -- and it helps loads when I see something that looks a little different but can't quite put my finger on why.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back