• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will I ever be able to paint? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
These long winter nights are tempting me to start ''attempting'' to paint.

Trouble is,at present i'm not that good at birds.I'm highly inspired by some of the landscape watercolours posted in the various forums and would quite like to dabble.A few years ago I used to draw ink and pen sketches of old churches and buildings,but these are angular inanimate lifeless objects,much harder to draw living organisms.

So,my question is thus...is it possible (with practice) for someone to aquire a
level of artistic merit worthy of wall space from being a total talantless
(at present) novice.

I've always been of the opinion that good artists have a natural gift,hence
you either have it or you don't?

Matt

In my opinion, birds ain't the easiest things to paint, really. I've been painting for years and I still need lots of work on birds. Keep trying and you will probably surprise yourself. And keep the old sketches-not only will you learn from your mistakes, you will have a "progression" to admire. Go for it! And keep going for it!

Definitely. I've only been doing this for less than eighteen months, but it's slowly getting there. Still a long way to go, though as the latest one didn't sell on fleabay.
Also depends on what you want to paint and what style. Do you want paintings that look like plates from an ID book, or majestic (if somewhat fanciful) scenes, or free style coloured sketches? I had a go at the 'bird on a white background' style for a while, but a few people who sold a lot of stuff said I should go for full painted backgrounds, so I did. Now I'm told I should white backgrounds again - but honestly, I'm happy either way.
Here's my painting gallery: http://tonykeenebirds.co.uk/plist.html
Some larger versions are in my BF gallery: http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/40117
The ones on white backgrounds came first (A5), then the full backgrounds (A4). I've lately gone from cheap A4 canvas to 5x7" acrylic paper - you can spend more time on the details without spending forever on a big painting.
But, as with all of this sort of stuff, it's very personal and up to you what you do.
Didn't help much, did it?

Just go for it Matt!

Just my penny's worth, others will have different advice: Try experimenting with loose drawings and messing around with splashes of colour - ie. quick cartoons etc. Perhaps using charcoal and chalk, or pencil and watercolour. Maybe try experimenting on flowers too. (Do guys paint flowers? Van Gogh did, and very well - looking at some of the post-impressionists might give you some ideas about light and colour use) I wouldn't worry too much about technical correctness at the moment - think one of the problems I found, (still find!) especially with trying to start on birds, was I was looking at plumage detail and missing the all important 'form' - ie. Shape and colour Jizz - the danger being one can end up with a totally lifeless flat diagram of a bird with all its feathers in perfect alignment! You have powers of observation as a birdwatcher already and will have a trained eye, so you are halfway there.

The other thing: and this is the hard one - try not to worry what anyone thinks. I kept my drawings hidden away for years after leaving Art College, too embarrased to let anyone see them - in fact I deleted several paintings from the Forum Gallery for that very reason! Now, I'm beginning to have more confidence, as such that breeds the desire to keep going - Going to Scotland and being inspired by the landscape and birds there has been an enormous help (as was actually having the time to do some sketching as well as birding). What is even more of a help, has been the encouraging remarks from people like yourself - it's amazed me that people have actually enjoyed some of the stuff - guess point is, we can be overly self-critical sometimes, to the point of not doing any drawing at all!

As for drawing, painting, photography, music, dance etc etc (as with birdwatching of course), its PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE - every human being is 'artistic' by nature, but not everyone has the patience to master their chosen media of expression which can be a lifetime's work.

If we were 'born artists' we'd be painting like Leonardo de Vinci, the moment we could crawl - he trained for years and so did all the greats. So, no Matt, I don't believe it's a question of you've either got it or you haven't - it's a question of using what's inside all of us, a creative being, and learning, through prolonged practice of observation, getting used to the equipment you are using, then playing around to bend the rules to suit your own taste when you've learnt some basic techniques.

(sorry for the long post, but you've given me so much encouragement with my work, I wanted to offer some back)

Ps. In response you your previous query, I'm not particularly inspired by Japenese art, however, changing light and colour in nature does inspire me and I find water colour, a fairly new medium for me, is actually one of the most enjoyable ways I find of expressing that inspiration.

Another PS! I'm not particularly bothered about 'owning' anything I post on the Internet - if people want to download sketches and paintings for themselves, that's fine by me - I don't sell my work, never will - I only ever give them away. If they want to download them and sell them off as their own, so be it - the One who gave me the inspiration to paint will get you in the end :'D

Last edited:
Thanks for those reply's mabel,Colonel and Deborah

Colonal,those fantastically detailed illustrations in the bird guides are certainly out of my league,to be honest I'm more interested in free form type landscapes,birds might come later.

Some artists i'm interested in are

Maggy hamling
jane sanger
Ross loveday
Various other contemporary artists from the norwich school etc

Deborah

Much thanks for the encouragement,think i'll start by buying a half decent
set of sketching pencils and a pad.

Incidentally,one aspect of art that really appeals to me is how very desciptive
and suggestive details can be rendered by the slightest brushstrokes.
A good example of this is your seal painting from your recent trip,the way
the light is captured glistening across the top of the seal in the foreground
is very effective.

Matt

normjackson said:
Sounds like Sumi-e painting might appeal. Here's result of a little Googling. An example :
http://www.jcollector.com/stores/hosoge/items/322942/en2jcollector.html
And a page from an art course :
http://www.clevelandart.org/educef/asianodyssey/html/sumiemi.html

I love all that stuff too!,and thanks for the links;)

Only the other day I was looking at old drawings by the old japanese zen
masters.

Storks and herons among grasses seem to be a favoured subject matter,
nodoubt due to the gracefull proportions and flowing lines.

Looks easy enough on paper but quite difficult in practice.

Matt

normjackson said:
You've got me anxious now timeshadowed. I can just imagine Matt's next thread on this forum :
"Will I ever have time to paint?"...

Or will I ever leave the house again for birding ;)

Matt

deborah4 said:
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE

This is the main thing to do, I think. Get some paints and just mess around with them and see what you can do with it. Play with brushes and brushstrokes. You might find that you get some of those elegant movements that you seem interested in.

I discovered for myself that gestural drawings and paintings meant more to me. And I am finding the more I work at it, the more people know the birds just through those slight variations and brief line movements. I like to think it is the essence that I am capturing, not the bird. Of course, I have limited myself to only doing those birds that I have observed from real life, so, as I said, I am limited, but that is okay with me. I'd rather get it right than not even close.

Best
Elizabeth

Hiya Matt - You've really started something now, haven't you. Couldn't let the thread pass without my twopenneth worth. If you never look at another bird artist - see Eric Ennion (The Living Birds of . . .) - For pastoral work and for just being all round fantastic (with elegant and economical brushwork) see Anders Zorn - for landscapes with life, vigour, colour and meaning - please PLEASE see Sir Stanley Cursiter (an Orcadian!!!!!) and then when you've mastered their techniques and combined their overall brilliance - please can I be your agent???!
All the best and good luck - Tim

normjackson said:
You've got me anxious now timeshadowed. I can just imagine Matt's next thread on this forum :
"Will I ever have time to paint?"...
Hope a bit of customary frivolity there doesn't seem rude, timeshadowed o:D As Matt has acknowledged that's surely a great resource you've posted there for learning from. Then again, must admit my view is somewhat coloured by witnessing my dad who seems to possess every known instructional book and video known to man but whose output is, shall we say, restricted. I tell him he has genius but not according to Edison's definition but his own : "Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine percent procrastination" :cat:

I remember talking to Ian Lewington, one of my favourite artists, at the Bird Fair some years ago, and asking him what the key to such good art was. 'Plenty of practice' was Ian's reply and I'd agree with that.

Personally I think that art is 20% talent and 80% application.

Having taught art to young and older people I would say that some people are born with more of an eye for painting. Some people are more naturally stimulated by pictoral images and colour and so find it easier to do and improve much faster than others. Having said that it is certainly possible for someone who thinks they have no talent to create wonderful art. Art is wholly subjective and should come straight from yourself. Do not be discouraged by anyones comments in the beginning. Painting birds much like photographing them is a very difficult thing to do and does not suit all styles of painting. Study bird shapes to understand their anatomy and bodies and draw them over and over again so that you get familiar with them on paper. Loose strokes come from familiarity and the paint will flow much more naturally with practice. Experiment with all forms of media and just have fun. That at th eend of the day is what it is all about. Good luck! ;)

matt green said:
These long winter nights are tempting me to start ''attempting'' to paint.

Trouble is,at present i'm not that good at birds.I'm highly inspired by some of the landscape watercolours posted in the various forums and would quite like to dabble.A few years ago I used to draw ink and pen sketches of old churches and buildings,but these are angular inanimate lifeless objects,much harder to draw living organisms.

So,my question is thus...is it possible (with practice) for someone to aquire a
level of artistic merit worthy of wall space from being a total talantless
(at present) novice.

I've always been of the opinion that good artists have a natural gift,hence
you either have it or you don't?

Matt
hi matt
as someone with no artistic talent whatsoever i can asssure you it is possible for you to have paintings which you can hang your walls as i have three landscape paintings on my walls which i painted and everyone who has seen them says are good
the secret of my success is i went to a class which is run by a lady i work with she shows you how to paint using a technique which i believe was origanally used by bob ross it involves oil paints you can find out more about it on her web site she runs regular classes which are very enjoyable and i beleive more or less guarentees you will take home a painting at the end of the day
i'm not sure how you link to websites but if you put ayoubart into google its the first result you find

Thanks for all the extra tips,advice and links everyone :t:

Been looking through some old alwyn crawshaw tutorials today that mother purchased some years ago,most helpfull.

Matt

Last edited:
Very well argued post, Psilo - to which I can only agree 100% (unlike at football matches where, apparently, teams can give 110%!!!!?). It's about ATTITUDE and APTITUDE - if you like what you want to do - you'll do it, if you have a 'feel' for it - you'll do it well!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back