• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (20 Viewers)

I've just had a year tick on the moors - a male Kestrel hovering over the nearby fields. The Avos were nice to see on the flashes.

What's all this about Firecrests? I take it that was a typo. I'll check it out just in case.

My thanks also go to Phil C for the very kind donation of tools for the work party. Generosity like that restores my faith in people.

I am sure it was a typo, just thought the oppurtunity to be a sarcastic idiot was unbearable :t:

If there was Firecrests on the reserves then I will look like a fool, but I assume Phil meant Goldcrests.

Jim

I've just had a year tick on the moors - a male Kestrel hovering over the nearby fields. The Avos were nice to see on the flashes.

What's all this about Firecrests? I take it that was a typo. I'll check it out just in case.

My thanks also go to Phil C for the very kind donation of tools for the work party. Generosity like that restores my faith in people.

Hi Dave - if I had found a Firecrest you certainly would have got a text! Typo I'm afraid :-C

The 4 Avocets looked at home despite some of the BHG`S trying to play tag with them at times.B :)
One pair couldn`t wait to get down to business.o:D

Chris

Attachments

• avo 1 copy.jpg
    avo 1 copy.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 57
  • avo 4 copy.jpg
    avo 4 copy.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 55
  • avo 6 copy.jpg
    avo 6 copy.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 67
Work Party Sunday 4th March

Tomorrow will see the last Work Party at the Flashes for this season.
This traditionally sees us preparing the habitat for the breeding waders. Unfortunately we still have a bit of work to do around the hide such as screening and fox fencing, as well as island clearing, grass cutting and fox fencing.
I won't try and kid anybody that the weather is going to be nice, but come what may we still have to get the work done for the soon to be arriving waders. If anyone was thinking about helping out, well this is the one where we will need you more than ever before.
If you can make it bring some water proofs, certainly for the morning session. We have got plenty of refreshments including some quality cake ( so I am led to believe).
Hope to see you there tomorrow
B :)John

Really. We mean it guys and gals. Even if you can only spare a couple of hours, please come down and lend a hand. Nobody is pretending that it's going to be a glorious day, but the long term reward will (if we're successful with everything we plan to achieve) far outweigh the short term discomfort of getting a bit wet.
This is the big one... please come along and get stuck in.

SJV

Do we need any extra tools or equipment as I havent got a clue what was stole the other week. I might have some bits and bobs that may come in handy if we need them. I have your wire cutters John and I have them packed to bring with me.

See as many of you as possible tomorrow!
Jim

Do we need any extra tools or equipment as I havent got a clue what was stole the other week. I might have some bits and bobs that may come in handy if we need them. I have your wire cutters John and I have them packed to bring with me.

See as many of you as possible tomorrow!
Jim
Jim just bring the wire cutters and yourself more importantly, all tools and equipment are sorted. :t:John

Really. We mean it guys and gals. Even if you can only spare a couple of hours, please come down and lend a hand. Nobody is pretending that it's going to be a glorious day, but the long term reward will (if we're successful with everything we plan to achieve) far outweigh the short term discomfort of getting a bit wet.
This is the big one... please come along and get stuck in.

SJV

Don't Panic!! Captain 'John Belsey' Mainwaring and Sergeant 'Sy V' Wilson! We'll be there early tomorrow morning and we'll knock this bugger off. If we don't then this year's breeding season will be dooomed!;)

Don't Panic!! Captain 'John Belsey' Mainwaring and Sergeant 'Sy V' Wilson! We'll be there early tomorrow morning and we'll knock this bugger off. If we don't then this year's breeding season will be dooomed!;)

Can I bring Uncle Arthur? Mum's put my scarf on me.

Thank you Private Pike ...'you stupid boy'8-P but not so stupid this time

Nice one Dave:t:
see you all in the morning B :)

i spent most of y'day down there and managed 42 species photographed and missed a sprawk over car park! only managed 39 at belvide day before, see ya all in the morn.

Great day with a magnificent turn out and (I believe) all task accomplished despite the somewhat inclement weather conditions. I'll leave the details to John and Phil, suffice to say the experience was made all the more pleasurable by the superb company and esprit de corps. If I still wore a cap badge I'd salute each and every one of you. Thanks gang - terrific effort.

As Sy has alluded to earlier, what a fantastic work party with huge amounts achieved. My recollection of March work parties is usually working in T-shirts as the sun beats down. Today we endured sleet, snow, hail and torrential rain before it finally started to dry up early afternoon. We also were thwarted by variousm mechanical failures, resulting in no mowers and just one strimmer running for most of the day.

However the full worklist was accomplished with included (apologises if I have missed any items off):-

- strimming of the foreshore
- clearance of the islands
- re-erection of the secondary fox fence
- securing the gate to the sewage works
- a thorough fox flush (nothing seen)
- completing to project to connect the fox fence to the hide
- fill in holes in the fencing along the boardwalk
- reviewing the fenmcing either side of the hide to ensure there is no visability of visitors to birds feeding on the Flashes
- strengthening the two stretch of fencing extending into the water
- creation of more gravelled areas for breeding waders
- filling in holes in the fox fence at the rear of the third flash
- infilling the gap between the hide and the blackthorn scrub with more cut blackthorn
- creating a screen by the ground floor entrance to limit the light flooding in
- clearing the Hen Brook of blockages
- installing the new weather station

Overall it was a stunning performance by the 22 attendees - Upstarts (John), Beyonder (Paul), Wheatearlrp (Mike), PeterE, Phil Q, Tim, Midlandsbirder (Craig), Hen Harrier (Jim), Hagar (Mark), Derek, Dennis (Waterrailus), Binus (Tracey), Woodchat (Dave), Gertatron (Gert), Whoever (Daniel), Sy V (Simon), Oriole Boy (Paul), Simon (Hairy Birder), Guy, UW82 (Des) and Paul A.

So many "thank yous" I dont know where to start but special mention needs to go to those on their first work party (Whoever, Midlandbirder, PeterE), Paul Moseley for interupting his Sunday to collect the equipment at the end of the day and Upstarts for his hidden work behind the scenes in preparing for the day and bringing all the tools together. Even those who turned up after the rain had finished played their part (didnt want to get your hair wet L'Oriel Boy ;))

However the biggest "thank you" needs to go to kingfisherajh for his stirling work through his recent posts for motivating the work party, which worked a treat. It was a tremendous turn-out and an amazing schedule of work completed in the circumstances; 99 out of 100 we would have called the work party off but I didnt have a single text or call questioning whether it was cancelled. This mirrors the efforts put in week in, week out by the Moors Pool work party every Tuesday. Many thanks for giving the work party even more purpose and commitment :t:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back