• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (10 Viewers)

dbradnum said:
Also as predicted by the rare-o-meter.... someone's doing a good job there!

They certainly are!

Also RED-BREASTED FLYCATCHER at Great Yarmouth Cemetary!!!!!!

Went to Snettisham 4pm, dull and grey, windy wintry, misty weather!

Wore my Fair Isle woolly hat for the first time!!!

List for afternoon, LINNETS, LITTLE EGRETS 10+, GREY PLOVER X 2, lots of RINGED PLOVER, hundreds of TEAL, lots of SHELDUCK, GREYLAG GOOSE (loads), CORMORANTS, hundreds of KNOT and DUNLIN, several CURLEW, WHIMBREL, REDSHANKS, 2 LITTLE GREBES, 3 KINGFISHERS, 14 RED LEGGED PARTRIDGES. Not anything exciting at all!!!!! :-C It was nice to see 2 kingfishers flying together across the the water though, leaving a 3rd sitting fishing by the sanctuary hide!

Supposed to be sunny tomorrow – sun - insects - warblers/flycatchers etc etc!!!!!!! :t: ;) :girl:

Caister beach early this morning - 7 Brent Geese heading south plus a Lapwing & a Ruff, both apparently in-off the sea (wow)

and this sunny afternoon (a good deal better) ...

along the track between the Nelsons Head, behind the dunes & along to Horsey Corner car park i counted 7+ Wheatears (could well have been more), 1 Whinchat, 1 Redstart, a few Stonechats, 2 Kestrels & a Marsh Harrier across the fields

Just back from Norfolk,had a great week.Spent an hour this morning trying to photograph a Cettis Warbler by the Island Hide at Titchwell.It appeared for about 5 secs then disappeared back into the bushes and out of view.This is the one and only shot I got,not the best I'm quite pleased I got one at all.

Attachments

• cettis.JPG
    cettis.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 206
Geoff, you were lucky getting a shot of a cetti's! :t:

My bird list for today is virtually nothing apart from 2 wheatears late afternoon!!! (long boring story). Went to NOA AGM afternoon + talk + slideshow by Jed Andrews on his 10 years as Warden at NOA - very entertaining. 2 people arrived late to AGM and whispered to me they had just seen a Yellow browed W. at Holme!! and somebody else had seen Wryneck - I was so tempted to walk out!!! The second the meeting finished I went to have a look, but alas didn't see them!!!!! (Roll on my weeks holiday!)

Birds seen in Norfolk today (not by me!):

RED BREASTED FLYCATCHER at Great Yarmouth Cemetary + PIED FLYS.

RED BACKED SHRIKE at Winterton.

POM. SKUA at Horsey Gap.

RED BACKED SHRIKE by Coastguard carpark, Cley.
YELLOW BROWED WARBLER at Cley.

WRYNECK and RICHARD'S PIPIT on Blakeney Point.

RED BREASTED FLYCATCHER at Gun Hill and Holkham and also one at Wells.
GREAT GREY SHRIKE at Burnham Overy Dunes.

WRYNECK and JUV. RED BACKED SHRIKE at Warham Greens.

WRYNECK at Burnham Norton on Saltmarsh

3 ROSEATE TERNS at Titchwell RSPB

YELLOW BROWED WARBLER and WRYNECK at Holme (forestry - NWT) (mid afternoon).
SPOTTED FLYCATCHER and PIED FLYCATCHER at Holme (NOA).

WRYNECK ringed at Snettisham Coastal Park (am)

Last edited:
Pretty good weekend in Norfolk staying with the folks:

- lovely RB Fly at Gun Hill (Burnham Overy) yesterday pm - showing almost non stop, in full view for much of the time. Showiest one I've seen for sure.
- Red-backed and Gt Grey Shrikes rather less showy (in fact, pretty distant), but nice to see all the same
- relocated the Waxham Barred Warbler this lunchtime after a lot of searching - great views when it finally gave itself up, with a couple of Whitethroats. Glad to have a reward for some perseverance
- smart Lapland Bunt at Cley on the shingle
- plus several Pied Flys and Redstarts

Weird birding though - fair few scarce migrants scattered about, but no real quantity of common stuff.

Can't beat Norfolk though... well, you couldn't this weekend, anyway! ;)

Tim Allwood said:
Scops Owl in Holme Village last week for 45 mins one evening

plenty of stuff moving on coast..., a few minor rares

Tim

Hi Tim

Wow that was nice!!!! Whereabouts in the village did you see/hear it please?

Cheers Penny

It was a good weekend in Norfolk, unfortunately I had to work Saturday and missed the best of it... but on Sunday managed to get wryneck at Warham and red-back and great grey shrikes at Burnham. The highlight however was walking through the pines at Holkham, had a few spotted flycatcher, a pied flycatcher, numerous chiffchaff, blackcap and goldcrests and big numbers of garden warblers and lesser whitethroats.

Thanks for confirming your Id Penny, that's 4 BF ticks for me now. I saw the alleged Scaup at the bottom of the lake before the end of the buildings on the opposite bank, I also saw a Kingfisher there and a Little Egret. I notice from your report that you didn't have Golden Plover there or Curlew Sandpiper.

The Norfolk Autumn is shaping up nicely.

Siberian Thrush must make a return to Nelson's county soon - any other predictions?

Last edited:
Hi Tim

Hope you didn't stain anything!

I'll be sure to mention sibes a little less prominently...unless I find one.

Sea (a)Palling or Waxham have my vote for that late afternoon sibe panic twitch.

This is a brief account of my visit to Norfolk. We arrived on Friday the 8th but I wasn't "allowed" to do any birding until Monday the 11th, when I drove the 50 or so miles to Weeting. After spending an hour in the East hide with no Stone Curlew sightings the Warden cam in and stated that two were showing pretty well from the West hide. I got over there as quickly as possible but still struggled to get a sighting, the warden came in not long after and put me on the birds. I had excellent if distant views of three birds, two adults and a juvenile. B :)

On to Titchwell in the afternoon, I started at the Fen hide but things were a little quiet so I moved on to the Island hide where there was much more going on the highlights were Curlew Sandpiper, Little Stint and Avocet all of which were lifers for me. B :) Other great birds that day included 2 Marsh Harriers over by the dead trees and as I was making my way back along the path a Bittern flew over the reeds for about 200 yards.

Tuesday 12th a short stroll on Hunstanton promenade produced an Arctic Skua which was chasing a Common Gull in what was quite a spectacular display of flight by both birds.

Wednesday 13th I met up with Firecrest/Jyothi and we walked the promenade in the early morning which produced an exceptional Grey Plover in full breeding plumage, we then arranged to meet later and go to Holme for the morning. First bird we saw there was a Whinchat, then we saw a couple of Whitethroat and some tits, then we saw the alleged Black headed Bunting and we got very excited as you can well imagine. I won't go any further along the Bunting road here. We also saw at Holme 2 Hobby (lifer for me), Sandwich Terns and another Arctic Skua. We then decided to look for the Red Backed Shrike which was at Kelling. We arrived and asked at the coffee shop for directions which we duly followed and we found the bird quite easily. We bothe met SJS there, a BF tick for both of us. We then moved off to Cley and parked at the visitor centre. Highlight for me was a Yellow Legged Gull (lifer) and all the usual stuff was there and we had a very late sighting of a Cuckoo as we walked back to the car.

The 14th saw a return to Titchwell for me along with Jyothi and his mum, once again all the usual suspects were seen along with Curlew Sandpiper, Spotted Redshank and at the beach Red Throated Diver, Red Necked Grebe, Little, Common and Sandwich Terns. There was also a Guillemot sunbathing at the top end of the beach. We then moved on to Holkham and walked to the hide over looking the pool there. We had excellent views of a male Marsh Harrier hunting and later a female also showed well other highlights were Pintail, Sparrowhawk and a Hare sitting in a field which gave great views through the scope. We then moved on to Cley again to twitch the Pec Sand which Jyothi found with no trouble.

The 15th I managed to see Gyr, Saker and Peregrine Falcons along with Harris Hawk and European and Bengal Eagle Owls at Sandringham although I was watching a rather lovely young lady giving a falconery display. I also had an hour at Snettisham and managed to see Curlew Sandpiper, Teal, Shelduck, Curlew, Little Egret, Ringed Plover, Kingfisher, Scaup, Grey Plover and Golden Plover amongst others.

We decided to stay an extra day and leave on Sunday instead of Saturday, lucky for me as I got to see the Great Grey Shrike and Red Breasted Fly at Burnham along with a Pied Fly, Redstart and Garden Warbler.

So to sum up, all in all a great week for me, even if I didn’t do as much birding as I would have liked but I would like to comment on the standard of driving in North Norfolk or rather the lack of it, does the national speed limit actually mean anything there? Or does everyone drive at 30 wherever they go? I am not a fast driver by any means but I do like to make progress.

iainvaughan said:
Or does everyone drive at 30 wherever they go? I am not a fast driver by any means but I do like to make progress.

Often a problem in Norfolk, Stiffkey is the place where the totally inept drivers exhibit their lack of common sense. If only it was possible to fit caravan seeking missiles to the car ;)

iainvaughan said:
... but I would like to comment on the standard of driving in North Norfolk or rather the lack of it, does the national speed limit actually mean anything there? Or does everyone drive at 30 wherever they go? I am not a fast driver by any means but I do like to make progress.

Not a problem at all.

There are other people on the roads too you know.

The rest of your post was quite interesting

Last edited:
A friend of mine has just told me there was a group of about 15 or so birders looking out over Breydon Water late yesterday afternoon from somewhere near the hide (near Asda), obviously something of interest.
Don't suppose anybody knows what I missed?

Binoculators said:
A friend of mine has just told me there was a group of about 15 or so birders looking out over Breydon Water late yesterday afternoon from somewhere near the hide (near Asda), obviously something of interest.
Don't suppose anybody knows what I missed?

An RSPB outing perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back