• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

July 4th trip to southcentral Alaska (1 Viewer)

These shots were taken between June 30th and July 5th, 2017. Camera used was a Canon Powershot ELPH100 HS. The zoom is 4x, resolution 12.1mp. It's a pocket snapshot camera, for family gatherings, etc. Not a champ for outdoor wildlife photography.
I am posting these as a "before" example. I just bought an SX-60 and expect I'll be able to make a better showing next time I go home. And in the meantime, I can hone my chops here in the Philly area.
The editing software is Zbmodule. I think it came with my ELPH100.

Edit: I failed to read the rules. My apologies. I posted here to demonstrate I had great views but weak equipment to share those opportunities... not to flaunt bad behavior. Corrective measures have been taken.

Attachments

• IMG_2712sub.jpg
    IMG_2712sub.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2994sub.jpg
    IMG_2994sub.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2997sub.jpg
    IMG_2997sub.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2999sub.jpg
    IMG_2999sub.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3003sub.jpg
    IMG_3003sub.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Looks like you are off to a good start rainman.

I will advise you thought that BF frowns on nest photos as we are all about what's good for the bird ;)

Hope to see some of your photos in the Gallery and the Gallery Guidelines are at the top of the Gallery page ;)

Hmm nest is in a tree over a building supply and an espresso cart. Got coffee there two days in a row before it was brought to my attention.

The eagle on the stump was on t he beach. I have frames with twenty eagles in the shot. I have a sequence where a passing truck spooks a dozen eagles and as many gulls. They take flight out to sea, and immediately circle around to land where they were. I also have frames where my sis is standing within 10 ft of the one on the stump. He couldn't care less. It's their Beach.

I realize that but when newbies see a nest shot they think it's okay.

Heck, we had one member who bragged about climbing a tree to get a better picture of the nest and the parent flew off so he got the kids. That is one of the reasons why nest shots are not allowed here.

I totally get you. In Alaska, noobs do stupid stuff with wildlife all the time. I didn't trespass or interfere with them in any way.

In general, eagles are everywhere in that region. As I said, it's their beach... and I just happen to know a beach in my hometown that has a virtual colony. They've been there all my life.

Lucky you! We sure don't mind pictures of Eagles though ;) They are just starting to make a comeback down here.

Lucky you! We sure don't mind pictures of Eagles though ;) They are just starting to make a comeback down here.

I am unable to access pics from 2012. The shots with my 8mp/12x zoom Powershot at least tried to do the birds justice. I have a closeup from that visit on my Mastercard.

And as for poor equipment, I carry an old school cellphone and it's camera is not up to smartphone standards, either. Attachment here being an example of it's output.

Attachments

• 0709171950sub.jpg
    0709171950sub.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 60
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back