• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HELP please :-) - Menorca July (1 Viewer)

mogs04

Hi everyone, I will be visiting Menorca in the last week of July this year and was wondering if any of you have been there and done some birding whilst there? If so any help with respect to locations and species lists would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Hi there, its getting on for 20 years since I was there with my parents, but I visited Algendar gorge which held breeding Egyptian vulture, Booted eagle, as well as Eleanora's falcon, Crag martin, Audouin's gull etc. Son Bou and S'Albufera were also great areas but probably worth getting information from somebody who has been there in the last decade at least... There is an old (but good book) by Graham Hearl which contains some good site information. Hope this is of some assistance to you, early mornings will probably offer your best chances of activity in July, as it will be hot and post-breeding season. Enjoy!

I've not been there since 2005, but as Daniel says, the Algendar Gorge is well worth a look for vultures and other species, taking the footpath from the tuning circle at Cala Galdana. The reedbeds at the bottom end of the gorge are also worth spending some time at. Over the years I went there I had zitting cisticola, moustached warbler, water rail and various other species. Late afternoon/early evening at Cala Galdana usually had a small flock of Alpine swifts coming squealing through, while pallid swift were there constantly.

The last time I was at Son Bou I discovered that purple gallinule had begun breeding there, presumably having arrived from the reintroduction on Mallorca.

The dunes behind the beach at Cala Tirant were good for green sanpiper and tawny pipit, while the track leading north towards the Cala had a bee-eater colony, turtle doves, red kite, booted eagle, etc.

The rocky flatlands on the road to Cap de Cavalleria in the evening are excellent for stone curlew.

thank you

Hug Thanks for the replies , a great help , i hope that i will see the species you both have mentioned as there will be a fair few lifers there for me , Thanks again :)

Look up Javier Mendez who runs Walking Birds Menorca. He'll take you out for a day's birding. I went with him last time we were there & end up with at least a dozen lifers :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back