• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor in flight - Ottawa, ON (1 Viewer)

Gillian_M

Birding since 2006!
I saw this bird flying overhead at Mud Lake today. I'm guessing it is an accipiter based on the long tail and the shape of the wings (they're definitely not pointed like a falcon's). The bird was very high up, and appeared to be carrying a mouse or small prey in its talons. As it flew, it would give about 6-8 fast, strong flaps of its wings and then glide for a few seconds; then it would alternate with another set of flaps.

Is it possible to make a positive ID based on these photos and the flight description? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, as always!

Attachments

• Mud Lake 850 (2).jpg
    Mud Lake 850 (2).jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Mud Lake 851 (2).jpg
    Mud Lake 851 (2).jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Mud Lake 852 (2).jpg
    Mud Lake 852 (2).jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 100
Lots of Accipiters om here all of a sudden. Very small shape, fairly large head for size, and squarish tail point to Sharpie for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back