• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identification Help (1 Viewer)

jrmc2000

I live in Georigia and came home last night to find the most unusual bird in my front lawn. I did take digital photos and will upload tonight to input into post.

The bird was about the size of a chicken which was my first guess when I saw it. However, it has a bright yellow head with a bright orange patch at the nape of the neck. The body is combination of emerald green and dark purple. The tail was longer than the length of the body alone and very closely resembled the plumes of a peacock. It wasn't disturbed by my presence and I never saw it fly. It just gingerly walked across the street into my neighbors woods.

Based on all the research I've tried to do today with looking at photos. The closest thing that I've come across is a King Bird of Paradise. However, this would be greatly out of place for a rural town in Georgia, USA. Any help is appreciated.

Hi jrmc2000,

From all the BirdForum Moderators and Administration, Welcome!

We are glad to have you join us in our appreciation of nature, especially wild birds.

We hope you find this site enjoyable and rewarding.

Could the bird you saw perhaps be a peacock? Maybe some sort of exotic pheasant? A Bird of Paradise would be very unusal indeed!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back