• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying gear in Hong Kong (1 Viewer)

Paul_Gower

Hi,

I will be in HK for a couple of days in July - not been before.

Various people have suggested I should do some shopping while I'm there - I'm thinking of some new bins, possibly a camera - does anyone have any experience there? Is stuff really cheaper?

Cheers,

Paul

Paul_Gower said:
Hi,

I will be in HK for a couple of days in July - not been before.

Various people have suggested I should do some shopping while I'm there - I'm thinking of some new bins, possibly a camera - does anyone have any experience there? Is stuff really cheaper?

Cheers,

Paul

Luck of the draw, you will pay a lot less but you have to consider very carefully the warranty and return issues if there is a problem.

Just ask yourself how you're going to deal with a problem, should one arise!
1.Some warranties are not worldwide.
2.The cost of posting something back to HK, tracking it, will you see it again!
3.A retailer or company may make a handling charge for their time and labour.

Any of the above may eat severely into your initial savings, plus the hassle factor - however, good luck.

PYRTLE said:
Luck of the draw, you will pay a lot less but you have to consider very carefully the warranty and return issues if there is a problem.

Just ask yourself how you're going to deal with a problem, should one arise!
1.Some warranties are not worldwide.
2.The cost of posting something back to HK, tracking it, will you see it again!
3.A retailer or company may make a handling charge for their time and labour.

Any of the above may eat severely into your initial savings, plus the hassle factor - however, good luck.

I used to be there about 25 years ago. Even then warranties on Nikon equipment were honoured by Nikon Hongkonkg only if the goods were sold by an authorised Nikon dealer. The general rule was that buying on Hongkong side was safer than on Kowloon side (where the prices were lower and more tourists went).
Chhayanat

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back