• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adder or Asp Viper? (1 Viewer)

nickderry

C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.
Can somebody please tell me what this snake is, seen 15th April in the Dombes region of France. I assumed it was an adder at the time but wasn't aware that Asp viper is apparently the commoner of the two round here.

Attachments

• dombes 011small.JPG
    dombes 011small.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 161
  • dombes 012small.JPG
    dombes 012small.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 175
  • dombes 014small.JPG
    dombes 014small.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 182
Was the snout upturned or not? if it was, then it's the Asp Viper (Vipera aspis ssp.). if it's not, then it's the Adder (Sommon Viper- Vipera berus berus)
I'm leaning a bit more towards the Asp Viper, but from these pics (and the fact that I've never seen (in the wild)/handled both species) I'm not a 100% sure...

Here's an interesting thought: it may be a hybrid from those two species. I know that they have them in captivity (http://www.vipersgarden.at/), but I don't know if that happens in the wild...

just wikipedia
I wouldn't rely too much on Wikipedia when it comes to snakes... there is a lot of incorrect data on them.

The pattern looks more asp to me, also going on wikipedia, left my reptiles guide in the uk. The snout did seem to be upturned, certainly the head seemed to have a quite remarkable shape to it.

The wide back of the head should clinch it as an Asp Viper then, excellent. Never saw any snakes in Britain, but now I'm getting more and more ino them as in my region I've seen Western Whipsnake and Aesculapian Snake, this Asp Viper and two Grass Snakes were seen on holiday.

thanks everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back