• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spectrogram/sonogram viewing on tablet/smartphone (1 Viewer)

andyotter

I'm considering getting a tablet for viewing sonograms when I'm on field trips away from wifi (and mains for that matter!). I'm looking for an app that will read a pre-recorded sound file (rather than produce real-time spectrograms from the internal mic).

Here's my set-up:
I record with an Olympus LS-11. I typically use the 8Gb internal memory, though I have a 32Gb MicroSD in an SD holder if I need it. I usually go over the recordings using Sonic Visualiser on a Mac at home.

This is what I want:
I'd like to have a mobile Listening/Looking-Back set up for when I'm spending several days "in the wild". Typically, I have no internet/wifi access and rely on batteries/ juicepaks for power.

As Apple devices are adverse to importing anything other than images via SD adapter, I'm assuming I need to look at Android/ other OS* devices (I may be wrong on this ~ if anyone knows of ways of getting audio files directly into an iOS device, I'm happy to hear it!)

*not really aware of what else is out there on tablets. (anyone use Linux?)

I've never even picked up an Android tablet, but I'm guessing many will read & write from an MicroSD card. If the answer to this "No" or "NO, not anymore", then that's useful knowledge too; I'll just stop looking!

All the android apps I've turned up in searches, however, seem to only produce spectrograms "as you listen". This is not useful to me - I'm very happy with my routine with the LS-11 as using it interferes very little with the most important bit whilst out and about: watching and listening to birds. I want to leave the more technical stuff for when I get home/"back to camp".

If anyone has any knowledge/ experience in this area, I'd be very grateful to hear about it.

I think you need a Windows 10 tablet in addition to purchasing a recorder with a spectrogram.

Not sure what the issue is, segregating the spectrogram, I bet the playback drivers keep it from being offered as a stand alone app. I could be wrong.

As an example, the NuVision 8 inch Windows 10 tablet is under a 100 dollars. Don't know how well rated it is.

On my desktop I use High Criteria Total Record VidPro Edition. Been using it for 14 years, started out with the Standard Edition, went to the Professional Edition and finally the VidPro Edition. The Professional Edition and VidPro Edition has a spectrogram, called a Sound Image Panel, which can be detached from the recorder and viewed in a separate window.

FYI, this recorder does not work on Mac machines but in their FAQs it says users run Total Record on Macs with virtual systems and provides a link to Parallel Desktop.

Hope this helps.....Good Luck my friend.

Last edited:
I'm considering getting a tablet for viewing sonograms when I'm on field trips away from wifi (and mains for that matter!). I'm looking for an app that will read a pre-recorded sound file (rather than produce real-time spectrograms from the internal mic).

Here's my set-up:
I record with an Olympus LS-11. I typically use the 8Gb internal memory, though I have a 32Gb MicroSD in an SD holder if I need it. I usually go over the recordings using Sonic Visualiser on a Mac at home.

This is what I want:
I'd like to have a mobile Listening/Looking-Back set up for when I'm spending several days "in the wild". Typically, I have no internet/wifi access and rely on batteries/ juicepaks for power.

As Apple devices are adverse to importing anything other than images via SD adapter, I'm assuming I need to look at Android/ other OS* devices (I may be wrong on this ~ if anyone knows of ways of getting audio files directly into an iOS device, I'm happy to hear it!)

*not really aware of what else is out there on tablets. (anyone use Linux?)

I've never even picked up an Android tablet, but I'm guessing many will read & write from an MicroSD card. If the answer to this "No" or "NO, not anymore", then that's useful knowledge too; I'll just stop looking!

All the android apps I've turned up in searches, however, seem to only produce spectrograms "as you listen". This is not useful to me - I'm very happy with my routine with the LS-11 as using it interferes very little with the most important bit whilst out and about: watching and listening to birds. I want to leave the more technical stuff for when I get home/"back to camp".

If anyone has any knowledge/ experience in this area, I'd be very grateful to hear about it.

Hi Andy,

try the app "sonocord" for iOS which was especially developed for birders needs. You can import audio snippets or make your own recordings and the app shows the sonagramm. I payed just about 1 EUR for it and am happy with it.

Cheers!

Hi Andy,

try the app "sonocord" for iOS which was especially developed for birders needs. You can import audio snippets or make your own recordings and the app shows the sonagramm. I payed just about 1 EUR for it and am happy with it.

Cheers!

At 99p a valuable tool in the arsenal of any field birder; great app!

RB

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back