• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owners: How Are Your Leica Noctivids Serving You?! (1 Viewer)

dwever

After releasing the Noctivid in August of 2016 some retailers like B&H are only now seeing some consistency on having them on hand. Many Leica fans have made the leap and purchased a pair; as a Noctivid owner how is it going?

(These are owner's opinions not reviews, so respectfully don't post how full-of-it an owner is saying Leica's industrial design is better than brand X)

1. Magnification Purchased (8 or 10):

2. Months Owned:

3. Price Paid:

4. Brick and Mortar Purchase Or Internet:

5. Name of Company:

6. Your Level of Satisfaction With Retailer:

7. Your Level Of Satisfaction With Your Noctivids (any plans to re-sell):

8. Were There Any Specific Expectations The Noctivids Failed To Achieve For You:

9. Were There Any Unexpected Ways In Which The Noctivids Exceeded Expectations:

10. Your Primary Use or Uses:

11. Warranty Issues or Dissatisfactions With Your Noctivids:

12. Are Your Noctivids Now Your Go-To (Primary) Binoculars:

13. If Your Noctivids Are Now Your Primary, What Binocular(s) Did They Replace:

14. Regarding The Noctivid's Alleged 3D Effect, Does It Really Exist, Or Is It More Likely A Bad Case of Internet Hysteria:

15. What Other Alpha Binoculars Do You Currently Own:

16. Other Comments:

Attachments

• IMG_3895.jpg
    IMG_3895.jpg
    588.3 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Magnification Purchased (8 or 10): 8

Months Owned: 4

Price Paid was Shipping Free and Overnight: $2,599, Yes and Yes

Brick and Mortar Purchase Or Internet: Internet

Name of Company: Eagle Optics. I have been satisfied in the past with CameraLand NY, this was clearly better.

Your Level of Satisfaction With Retailer: Great Experience

Your Level Of Satisfaction With Your Noctivids (any plans to re-sell): Exceedingly satisfied. None.

Were There Any Specific Expectations The Noctivids Failed To Achieve For You: No

Were There Any Unexpected Ways In Which The Noctivids Exceeded Expectations: The image is a little better than I imagined; the Zeiss HT 8x42 used to be my favorite image barely above my beloved UVHD+ 8x42, now it is the Noctivids. Flare Management from the Sun is exceptional. I was concerned about all the early posts railing against the Noctivids additional weight; those posters may have issued their concern prior to actual use. Weight is a non-issue. Exceeding even the excellent industrial design of the Swarovision EL's, the Leica Noctivid's industrial design is the most pleasing surprise, it is phenomenal, they feel very robust, and they say Alpha bin even before you put them to you eyes (viscerally, only the Leica UVHD+ 7x42 were as pleasing to me as the Noctivids).

What Other Alphas Did You Try And Consider: Zeiss HT and SF in 8 power and a Swaro EL 10x50. Also used a Noctivid 10x42 for two days. Regarding the excellent 10x42 Noctivid, the 8x42 Noctivid appeals to me much more, and is more distinguishable from other Alphas.

Your Primary Use or Uses: Nature, Travel, Law Enforcement

Any Warranty Issues or Dissatisfactions With Your Noctivids: None

Are Noctivids Now Your Go-To (Primary) Binoculars: Yes

If They Are Now Your Primary, What Binocular(s) Did They Replace: Leica Ultravid HD Plus 8x42

Regarding The Alleged 3D Effect, Does It Really Exist, Or Is It More Likely A Mild Case of Internet Hysteria: Somewhere in between hysteria and actual existence

What Other Alpha Binoculars Do You Currently Own: Zeiss Marines

Other Comments: While my overall experience has been superb, I would like just a little less resistance from the focus wheel, having said that the focus wheel is smooth as glass. I’ve curiously had to remove and clean grit twice from the eyepiece, probably as a result of where they live in my car.

Last edited:
Better a firm focusing wheel than sloppy or even worse given of overtravel.

Interesting to read your experience and look forward to others.

LGM

Have you changed your mind about selling them then?

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=343295

I was able to buy the camera system mentioned in that post for a trip to Africa and keep the Noctivids, rather than have to re-buy the Noctivids later.

Pic taken in Akagera, Rwanda, other side of the water is Tanzania (Olympus EM-1 Mark II with 12-100 PRO).

Attachments

• 165382548.662sIo5n.jpg
    165382548.662sIo5n.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
Not many posts from owners, are there few owners ?, is it that they have`nt been available in stores ?. are they just not selling ?. I have to say I`v yet to see one around a Birders neck out in the field.

Not many posts from owners, are there few owners ?, is it that they have`nt been available in stores ?. are they just not selling ?. I have to say I`v yet to see one around a Birders neck out in the field.

Or, owners may not be interested in a sixteen question survey on social media. :).

I have seen one other Noctivid in the wild. Availability has goten better for the last two months if US web based sales sites are a good measure.

Or, owners may not be interested in a sixteen question survey on social media. :).

I have seen one other Noctivid in the wild. Availability has goten better for the last two months if US web based sales sites are a good measure.

I was looking forward to owners input now after some time since first launch, as it takes a while to come to a qualified opinion after hours and months spent in field use, anyway that`s what I believe.

Maybe price is a factor, after all here in the UK they are still £2-300 more than their peers.

Come on owners, lets hear from more of you.

1. Magnification Purchased (8 or 10): 10X

2. Months Owned: something live 5 months or so.

3. Price Paid:I think $2300

4. Brick and Mortar Purchase Or Internet: internet

5. Name of Company: An honest to goodness Leica dealer in NY but the name escapes me.

6. Your Level of Satisfaction With Retailer: Fine

7. Your Level Of Satisfaction With Your Noctivids (any plans to re-sell): I like the Noctivid fine. I wish I had gotten 8X, I would have used it more.

8. Were There Any Specific Expectations The Noctivids Failed To Achieve For You:
Yes! FOV while competitive...is not class leading.

9. Were There Any Unexpected Ways In Which The Noctivids Exceeded Expectations: Yes. The eyecups are probably the best in the business. Focus adjustment is pretty much class leading as are objective covers and eye relief.

10. Your Primary Use or Uses: birding

11. Warranty Issues or Dissatisfactions With Your Noctivids: No. But still waiting on an return call or email from Leica USA....five months. :smoke:

12. Are Your Noctivids Now Your Go-To (Primary) Binoculars: For 10X it's kinda split between the Noctivid and the Canon IS 10X42

13. If Your Noctivids Are Now Your Primary, What Binocular(s) Did They Replace:

14. Regarding The Noctivid's Alleged 3D Effect, Does It Really Exist, Or Is It More Likely A Bad Case of Internet Hysteria: Sure it exist...but it does for any quality binocular IMO

15. What Other Alpha Binoculars Do You Currently Own: several

16. Other Comments: Leica has some nice binoculars...it would be great if there customer service was at the same level.

Hello everyone, I'm new here so please be forgiving!

I've actually been lurking here for 8 months or so, so I feel I've got to know some of you already.
Before I answer dwever I feel a little background is in order. First, I'm not a birder (yet!) but I very much appreciate and enjoy looking at nature, good scenery etc through binoculars. My, Dad had a pair which I would pick up from time to time, but I actually purchased my first binoculars 20 years ago; a pair of Leica Trinovid BCA 10x25's. I bought them as I wanted a very compact binocular for using mainly at concert venues. At the time (and until very recently) I knew nothing about FOV or exit pupil etc and they were my only binocular until a few years ago when I bought some Nikon ‘Ocean Pro’ 7x50 marine bins for my boat. In all of that time, and even after I’d bought the 7x50’s, I thought nothing of any difficultly with eye placement due to the small exit pupil, or with hand holding a small 10x bin or the narrow FOV. Yes, I noticed that the 7x50 was noticeably better in low light, but even in my relative ignorance I expected that to be the case given that the objective lens was twice as big(!) but I didn’t experience that they were easier to use in any way (eye placement etc), nor did I even notice the different FOV (which of course is bigger, but I only notice that it’s different when I think about it, and I certainly didn’t experience it as ‘better’). What I DID experience was the fact that the image from the Leica 10x25’s was just better in every way than the image from the Nikon 7x50’s. Noticeably sharper with better colours and contrast etc.

Now to the point! I had always promised myself a ‘full size’ pair of Leica’s one day when funds permitted. I had hoped that the Nikons would satisfy my desire for full size bins, but, as explained above, that wasn’t to be the case, and in fact that experience only convinced me that some more Leica’s were what I really wanted. Happily for me my ability to purchase such a bin coincided with the release of the Noctivid, so after some deliberation and much reading on this forum I bought some 10X42’s.

For me the decision to get the 10x42’s was relatively easy. It seems (for reasons I totally understand) the consensus on here is that 8x42 bins are considered as the better alternative, and perhaps have the best overall qualities for a 'one size fits all’ bin. However, having been used to the 10x25’s for the last 20 years I was concerned that I would miss the pulling power of those, and I could imagine putting down the 8x42 NTV’s and reaching for them to get the detail that I was used to, which frankly would be silly! But the main reason I went for the 10x42’s is that I use them mainly for looking from a fixed position over long distances, very often over water, at distant shore lines, boats, and (dare I say) the occasional eagle!

I have to say that I’m absolutely thrilled with them. I know that they aren’t the only bin in their class on the market, and I’m sure that there will always be those who prefer Swaro’s or Ziess, but having been used to Leica’s, and living in a fairly remote part of Finland where it’s impossible to go and try different models, the Noctivids seemed to be an obvious choice. I know that makes my opinion rather less than well informed(!), but I thought I’d give it anyway! The only meaning full comparison I can make is that the Noctivids are not noticeably darker in very low light than the 7x50 Nikons. That, I’m sure, is a function of better optics and coatings and possibly the better twilight factor. It’s certainly easier to see detail with them in very low light.

My only problem now, having been bitten by the ‘buy another pair of bins bug’ is to try to persuade myself that I don’t want to buy the new Trinovid 8x32’s to complete the collection!

Sorry for the long rambling post! I’ll try to make any future contributions more concise!

Michael.

Hello everyone, I'm new here so please be forgiving!

I've actually been lurking here for 8 months or so, so I feel I've got to know some of you already.
Before I answer dwever I feel a little background is in order. First, I'm not a birder (yet!) but I very much appreciate and enjoy looking at nature, good scenery etc through binoculars. My, Dad had a pair which I would pick up from time to time, but I actually purchased my first binoculars 20 years ago; a pair of Leica Trinovid BCA 10x25's. I bought them as I wanted a very compact binocular for using mainly at concert venues. At the time (and until very recently) I knew nothing about FOV or exit pupil etc and they were my only binocular until a few years ago when I bought some Nikon ‘Ocean Pro’ 7x50 marine bins for my boat. In all of that time, and even after I’d bought the 7x50’s, I thought nothing of any difficultly with eye placement due to the small exit pupil, or with hand holding a small 10x bin or the narrow FOV. Yes, I noticed that the 7x50 was noticeably better in low light, but even in my relative ignorance I expected that to be the case given that the objective lens was twice as big(!) but I didn’t experience that they were easier to use in any way (eye placement etc), nor did I even notice the different FOV (which of course is bigger, but I only notice that it’s different when I think about it, and I certainly didn’t experience it as ‘better’). What I DID experience was the fact that the image from the Leica 10x25’s was just better in every way than the image from the Nikon 7x50’s. Noticeably sharper with better colours and contrast etc.

Now to the point! I had always promised myself a ‘full size’ pair of Leica’s one day when funds permitted. I had hoped that the Nikons would satisfy my desire for full size bins, but, as explained above, that wasn’t to be the case, and in fact that experience only convinced me that some more Leica’s were what I really wanted. Happily for me my ability to purchase such a bin coincided with the release of the Noctivid, so after some deliberation and much reading on this forum I bought some 10X42’s.

For me the decision to get the 10x42’s was relatively easy. It seems (for reasons I totally understand) the consensus on here is that 8x42 bins are considered as the better alternative, and perhaps have the best overall qualities for a 'one size fits all’ bin. However, having been used to the 10x25’s for the last 20 years I was concerned that I would miss the pulling power of those, and I could imagine putting down the 8x42 NTV’s and reaching for them to get the detail that I was used to, which frankly would be silly! But the main reason I went for the 10x42’s is that I use them mainly for looking from a fixed position over long distances, very often over water, at distant shore lines, boats, and (dare I say) the occasional eagle!

I have to say that I’m absolutely thrilled with them. I know that they aren’t the only bin in their class on the market, and I’m sure that there will always be those who prefer Swaro’s or Ziess, but having been used to Leica’s, and living in a fairly remote part of Finland where it’s impossible to go and try different models, the Noctivids seemed to be an obvious choice. I know that makes my opinion rather less than well informed(!), but I thought I’d give it anyway! The only meaning full comparison I can make is that the Noctivids are not noticeably darker in very low light than the 7x50 Nikons. That, I’m sure, is a function of better optics and coatings and possibly the better twilight factor. It’s certainly easier to see detail with them in very low light.

My only problem now, having been bitten by the ‘buy another pair of bins bug’ is to try to persuade myself that I don’t want to buy the new Trinovid 8x32’s to complete the collection!

Sorry for the long rambling post! I’ll try to make any future contributions more concise!

Michael.

Its great to hear from you Michael and I am sure you will enjoy your Leicas. The new Trinovid 8x32s may not suit everyone as their field of view falls just a little short of being competitive but on the other hand they have a really great close focus so if you like looking at all of those great northern butterflies and dragonflies you have in Finland they would be a great companion.

Kipis

Lee

Thanks Lee,

I certainly don't want to derail a thread as my first act here on the forum(!) but thanks for the words about the Trinovid 8x32's - very helpful. I know there's a thread about those and perhaps I might post some further questions there, but it would seem that some 8x32's would be an obvious companion for the 10x42's. Thanks again! Cheers! ;)

Having just returned from Point Pelee, Warbler ID in the tops of trees, as hard as birding gets imho, Noctivids performed superbly, easily resolving fast moving birds into readily identifiable Named Birds, 10/10

1. Magnification Purchased (8 or 10): 8x

2. Months Owned: 5 months

3. Price Paid: 2600 euros

4. Brick and Mortar Purchase Or Internet: brick

5. Name of Company: A random Leica dealer in The Netherlands

6. Your Level of Satisfaction With Retailer: satisfied

7. Your Level Of Satisfaction With Your Noctivids (any plans to re-sell): more than satisfied, selling off my other bins

8. Were There Any Specific Expectations The Noctivids Failed To Achieve For You: None

9. Were There Any Unexpected Ways In Which The Noctivids Exceeded Expectations: Eye relief

10. Your Primary Use or Uses: multiple uses, birding, nature, boats, planes, etc.

11. Warranty Issues or Dissatisfactions With Your Noctivids: none

12. Are Your Noctivids Now Your Go-To (Primary) Binoculars: yes

13. If Your Noctivids Are Now Your Primary, What Binocular(s) Did They Replace: Leica Ultravid HD 8x42 and probably 10x50

14. Regarding The Noctivid's Alleged 3D Effect, Does It Really Exist, Or Is It More Likely A Bad Case of Internet Hysteria: There is definately something going on

15. What Other Alpha Binoculars Do You Currently Own:Ultravid HD 10x50, Ultravid 8x20, monovid, 1980's Trinovid 8x42

16. Other Comments: none

Nv 10x42

The NV 10x42 is serving me very well.

I've been using the NV 10X42 and the SV 10X42 side by side during long time and many hours in the field and both are superb and the final decision among this 2 binoculars are more a personal choice than technical one.

For me the NV is the best because the flare suppression is amazing and side by side is very easy to notice it.

The 3D enhanced perception and less compressed view help to recognise the shapes and proportion better with a more realistic view of course not at the level of my Zeiss 7x50 BGAT but better than other roofs.

NV has a more solid view more contrast and nice color, the SV has a very nice color but softer compared with the NV due to a minimum a residual veil glare ( Milky view ) easy to see when both binoculars are used to see the same targets.

Sharp to the edge is useless for hand held binocular, i never try to see at the edge of FOV this is only useful tripod mounted of for astronomy, the better and more corrected FOV of the NV compared with the Ultravid series is enough for me.

Finally i gonna sell the SV not because is worst, just because i prefer the view of the NV and their superb flare, veil glare and straight light suppression because is a very very good advantage on field.

Is not needed to see close to the low sun to notice it, at any time if you try The NV and your current Alpha bin side by side you will see it.

Check if if you can........:t:

Sorry for my english and i hope all of you understand my post, i did my best.

Regards.

Jesus.

Last edited:
Hi GLOBETROTTER,

I am with you about the importance of flare and, specially, this "milki" veil...!!!! All other the same I would chose a binocular with the best correction of these!
By the way, in two weeks I will be in Europe. Arriving to Barcelona (we have one of our daughters living there) and from there to other places, including the UK (to visit our eldest son in London).
I "need" to see the Noctivid with my own eyes!
Will be in touch, if I go to Madrid.
Best Regards!

PHA

For me the NV is the best because the flare suppression is amazing and side by side is very easy to notice it.

Sharp to the edge is useless for hand held binocular, i never try to see at the edge of FOV this is only useful tripod mounted of for astronomy, the better and more corrected FOV of the NV compared with the Ultravid series is enough for me. [snip]

prefer the view of the NV and their superb flare, veil glare and straight light suppression because is a very very good advantage on field.

Interesting points you raise, and I agree wholeheartedly. Glare control, especially the suppression of veiling glare, and flare control in general are to me in real life situations very, very important. More important than many other optical parameters, including a (very) wide field of view or, indeed, a field of view that's sharp to the edge.

Good posting.

Hermann

Magnification Purchased (8 or 10): 10x

2. Months Owned: Don't know exactly... Seven?

3. Price Paid: U.S. List

4. Brick and Mortar Purchase Or Internet: Brick and Mortar (my local Leica Boutique)

5. Name of Company: Camera West

6. Your Level of Satisfaction With Retailer: Extremely High--lots of experience with them

7. Your Level Of Satisfaction With Your Noctivids (any plans to re-sell): Very high--no plans to re-sell

8. Were There Any Specific Expectations The Noctivids Failed To Achieve For You: Met expectations

9. Were There Any Unexpected Ways In Which The Noctivids Exceeded Expectations: Contrast

10. Your Primary Use or Uses: Combination of nature and astronomy

11. Warranty Issues or Dissatisfactions With Your Noctivids: None

12. Are Your Noctivids Now Your Go-To (Primary) Binoculars: Yes, for full size bins (50% of use?)

13. If Your Noctivids Are Now Your Primary, What Binocular(s) Did They Replace: Gen 1 8x42 Ultravids

14. Regarding The Noctivid's Alleged 3D Effect, Does It Really Exist, Or Is It More Likely A Bad Case of Internet Hysteria: I don't see a 3D effect, and I'm not even sure the term is well enough defined for me to recognize it if it were present. The depth of field is exactly what I would expect on a 10x42 roof prism, and I'm not sure what a "plastic" view is. Contrast is exceptional, resolution is excellent, color accuracy is very good, CA control is reasonable, ease of eye placement is natural (for my face, anyway), and focus accuracy and precision are very good.

15. What Other Alpha Binoculars Do You Currently Own: 8x32 Ultravids and 8x20 Ultravids

16. Other Comments: The contrast is really the stand out feature. For best results, having your pupil properly centered is critical but easy to achieve. Very pleased with the binoculars, but there's nothing magic about them. I'd buy them again.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back