• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recent history of the Trinovid? (1 Viewer)

Mark9473

Belgium
I'm getting a bit lost with the many versions of the Trinovid I've seen since the turn of the century, and was hoping somebody here could clear things up for me.

I think I remember a new Trinovid series being announced a good decade ago, that had a very cool design (IMHO) and was regarded optically as fine, if not at the level of the Ultravid.

Then sometime more recently there was a more affordable version made that cut costs by losing the close focus ability (or was another brand doing that??). Was this already called HD?

Now the current (?) Trinovid HD appear to have regained the close focus ability, but I don't know what other optical changes have been made. I saw the recent x32 announcement in this series.

Did I miss any steps? Can somebody compare the pros and cons of the various versions? How can they be distinguished just by looking at a picture of them?

Last edited:
The previous Trinovid have the diopter setting on the focus wheel (like the Ultravid), but on the latest Trinovid HD it's on the eye piece. A cheaper solution. Trinovid have moved from the top of the line segment in the 80's, to being a budget binocular. Also with the 42mm HD model you get the "adventure strap/wrap" but no conventional cordura-case any more. Optically I thought the previous 8x42 Trinovid was quite nice, sharp etc. though specs where not impressive (FOV, Close focus) and perhaps CA was slightly worse than more expensive models, but still a nice binocular. I haven't tried the latest HD version yet, but I suspect it's a new optical design. Reviews I've seen have been a bit mixed. But for the price it might be worth looking at.

Last edited:
There is a long thread about your question, part way down the Leica page.

It will show the differences in a photo, I preferred the newer HD Trinovid over the recent
one.

Jerry

There is a long thread about your question, part way down the Leica page.

Is this the thread you mean "Please compare the 2012-2015 Trinovid to the new Trinovid HD"?
Do you mean there are only two recent Trinovid versions (this centrury)?

Is this the thread you mean "Please compare the 2012-2015 Trinovid to the new Trinovid HD"?
Do you mean there are only two recent Trinovid versions (this centrury)?

You asked about recent history, and there it is. Leica has been making
binoculars since 1907.

Do a google search, for lots of information out there.

Jerry

There are 2 iterations of the Trinovids since Leica began using the Leica name on their new roof prism binoculars which used new S/P roof prisms. The first series were named Trinovid. They were later updated and given the name Ultravid. Then a lower priced version of the Ultravids was introduced and they were named Trinovids in honor of the old name.

See this Company 7 link for a history of the Leica Trinovids from the BA version to the BN version and then their replacement by the current Leica Ultravids.

http://www.company7.com/leica/binoculars.html

Prior to all that (going back from about 1990 and many years before that) when Leica was using the Leitz name they also had a series of Trinovid binoculars which used Uppendahl roof prisms. They came in various sizes. I have a Leitz 7x42 Trinovid BA Green Armored binocular.

Bob

Last edited:
I happen to have the last three versions of the Trinovid at this time. I took a picture for you to see the differences.

Weights of the above binoculars:
Trinovid BN- 31oz (2002-2006)
Trinovid- 28oz (2012-2015)
Trinovid HD- 26oz (2015-current)

I like all three. All three are VERY well made binoculars. The Trinovid BN doesn't give up too much to current state of the art binoculars.

The Trinovid HD gives up a little FOV to the previous model but has a closer "close-focus" as well as more eye-relief. At 26oz, the Trinovid HD is one of the lightest available 8X42 binoculars. It's also one of the smallest. Given the choice between the latest two Trinovids, I'd pick the 2012-2015 model all day every day if size/weight aren't an issue. It comes across as a higher quality product giving up very little to the Ultravid HD.

Attachments

• DSC_0114.jpg
    DSC_0114.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 456
Thanks all. I conclude that I was mistaken thinking that there are two versions of the Trinovid HD. Thanks for clearing that up.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back