• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

leica 8x42 bn 2007 model (1 Viewer)

stringaz85

Hi guys new too the forum. I've recently purchased a pair of leica bns8/42 for five pounds from my local charity shop there Inn exelent condition apart from a small scratch on one of the lenses witch isn't noticeable when viewed through the binoculars I have noticed that they are expensive . Should I sell them and buy new ones with the money and what would be a reasonable price. Thanks

Hi and welcome.

So long as the binocular is clean inside, keep it and use it.
If the scratch is on the front objective it shouldn't cause problems.

How do you know it is from 2007? Is there paperwork?

P.S.
Perhaps go back to the charity shop and see if they have a Leica Noctivid for five pounds. :)

Last edited:
Like I said I'm new to the game. The scratch is on the big lense but dosnt hamper viewing . There are pull outs on the small lenses and I did a little bit of research so I guessed they were 2007 as it say they were phased out then. Such a noob sorry if I get things wrong . But the they are very clear with a beautiful view . How would I clean them safely and how can I upload a picture to show you guys as you sound like the best people to help me out

Hello Stringaz,

Leica owners are very finicky and would greatly devalue your binocular because of the scratch. I think that you may get far more value using the binocular than selling it and buying a lesser brand.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Stringaz85.
I use Baader Wonder cleaning fluid to clean the outer optical surfaces, using a Kleenex for Men white tissue which has no residue. about £12.

Don't spray the Baader Wonder optical cleaning fluid on a lens.
Just a small amount on a tissue.

I think that genuine Zeiss wipes are also good.

As long as the view is clear then just use the binocular.
Don't attempt to dismantle it in any way.

As Arthur says, you are unlikely to get as good a view for the money if you buy a new binocular.

If the scratch is really deep and a gouge then I would carefully blacken it, but I doubt that this is the case.

P.S.
Do Leica BA and BN binoculars have a 30 year warranty in the U.K? Does anyone know?

Last edited:
Like I said I'm new to the game. The scratch is on the big lense but dosnt hamper viewing . There are pull outs on the small lenses and I did a little bit of research so I guessed they were 2007 as it say they were phased out then. Such a noob sorry if I get things wrong . But the they are very clear with a beautiful view . How would I clean them safely and how can I upload a picture to show you guys as you sound like the best people to help me out
Attach a photo for a good ID.
Start a reply and then scroll down to attach files and click on Manage Attachments. Find the photo and upload it.

The Leica 8x42 Trinovid BN looks like this:

http://www.allbinos.com/237-Leica_Trinovid_8x42_BN-binoculars_specifications.html

Note the rugged exterior.

Bob

Stingaz85,

My first great roof prism binocular was an 8x42 BA, the model prior to the BN. I wish I had it back. My current #1 is a 12x50 BN.

The BN has better coatings and thus a brighter image than the BA, and also will focus on closer objects.

The new binocular that could be bought with what you could sell yours for would not provide near as much enjoyment to an experienced binocular user. But I get that you are not into binoculars, in which case you might well choose to sell it for the (considering your description of the scratch) maybe 200-300 pounds that it might bring vs perhaps 500 for one in excellent condition. FWIW, Leica seems to be losing the capability to repair binoculars this old, so buying it cheap and having it cherried out by Leica is probably not an option for an enthusiast looking at a "good deal".

If this experience has piqued your interest in binoculars, you could then buy something much cheaper, which won't be nearly as good but may serve your purpose, and have money in your pocket.

But do realize, you have a gem there, a classic. Considering what you paid, you should be arrested!

Ron

£5.00. Charity shops round here want £30 for them 20x50 things that were popular in the 80s to see france with. More then lucky my friend. My hand would shake handing over £5.00

I saw 2 silk Persian rugs going for £5 and £7 in a local charity shop.
Unfortunately a lady was examining them and not sure whether to buy them. She must have seen the glint in my eyes, and bought them.
They were £500 each.

A friend saw a 'toy' box camera for a fiver in a junk box. He knew what it was, bought it, and got £2,000.
Another friend got a Leica Compur for £60.

These finds are rare, but happen.

I got a Leitz 7x50 for £5 in a junk box.
A Swift 8.5x44 very good for £15 and an as new Hensoldt 16x56 for £20.
An Olympus OM4 Ti and lens for about £10.
Minolta 50mm f/1.2 lens £10.
Canon 50mm f/1.2 rangefinder lens and Leica adapter for £6.
4 Professional tripods and a dolly? for £40.

If I factor in the time I spent in charity shops, it doesn't work out so well.
And some items turn out to be write offs.

The local charity shop found £2,000 in a donated jacket. They did not know who donated the jacket so kept it.

I also saw a very fit young man sprinting with a lot of clothes on hangers, stolen from the charity shop, to a bus. About 200 yards. He should have entered the Olympic 200 metre event.

Think about the poor soul who bought a 26.27 carat diamond for £10 at a boot fair. He thought it was custom jewellery.
It just sold for £676,750 at Sotheby's.

Last edited:
Gijs,
British charity shops are strange.
Some pay no rent and half business rates. So all we have here now are restaurants, betting shops and charity shops, plus a few surviving stores. The internet has destroyed our high street.

I have donated el cheapo binoculars with minor faults back to the charity shops.

I bought ten radio controlled new projector thermometer clocks for £2 each. They are accurate to better than 1 second. Dotted all around for astro timing.

A professional model maker died quite old. He supplied RAF museums. His widow gave 700 plastic model aircraft mainly 1/72 scale to the furthest charity shop, which was difficult for me to reach.
I bought 300 and made about 25 trips, carrying them back in cardboard boxes. The charity shop staff and customers damaged 300 or 400. They are delicate. The staff were amazed when I could say "No, I have got that one".
I regret not buying a large one in glorious colours. I can only not identify one Japanese floatplane.
150 are displayed in a glass cabinet. The rest still in boxes.

As an aside, I spent 7 years free hard labour running a flat management company.
The unbelievable number of edicts from Brussels, many conflcting, make running such a company impossible unless you break the rules, many of which are mad.

The fire officers instructed us to dispense with the 6Kg fire edxtinguishers in the hallways as we were told the firemen would save us. We ignored their advice and have fire extinguishers. We have emergency lighting. I have many fire extinguishers, fire blankets and smoke and CO detectors.
There is full emergency signage. Every time I see a door kept open I close it.
Thieves walk off with fire extinguishers, so we paint them all with big letters now.
Modern life is fraught with problems, many of our own making.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back