• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ripponi (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

I am just curious where the C in George C. Rippon (1861-1927) in the key derived from? In his obituary in The Ibis here is no C. Could the C. stands for Colonel? Or does anyone know the middle name?

Sorry just realized that he was already covered in ...

No. 2 – ripponi in …
● the subspecies Lophura nycthemera ripponi SHARPE 1902 a k a (most often in aviculture) "Rippon's Silver Pheasant"
= the fairly unknown British military officer (Lieutenant, Major, Lieutenant-Colonel and later Colonel) George (C.?) Rippon (1861–1926), of the British-Indian Army (Indian Staff Corps) 1880–1912, who sent more than 3000 bird skins, from India, to British Museum (today's NHM).

After his retirement in 1812 he settled down in Burma (Myanmar), but returned to England (and his Duty) when World War I started, and retired (again) when it ended. The remaining years of his life he spent in a little cottage outside the coastal village of Lymington, Hampshire.

Nevertheless Bjön question the C. as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for resurrecting this, Martin. Wynne 1969, Biographical Key, p. 177, (usually reliable on Army personnel) has Lt. Col. G. C. Rippon, but Rippon's obituary in Ibis 1927 refers only to George. I have amended the Key.

From his Obituary 1927 in The Ibis, pp.527-528:
We have to record with deep regret the death at the age of 65 of Lieut.-Colonel George Rippon on 28 April last ...
[...]
Rippon was born on 18 November, 1861, ...
Doesn´t that indicate that he passed away in 1926?
--

Last edited:
From his Obituary 1927 in The Ibis, pp.527-528:Doesn´t that indicate that he passed away in 1926?
--

No, the obituary mentions that he died at the age of 65. He would have been 65 starting on 18 November 1926 and ending on 17 November 1927... had he not died on 28 April 1927.

Sandhurst Records indicate that our George Rippon was the son of Army Pay Department, Chief Paymaster and Honorary Colonel George William Rippon. George obtained a commission at Sandhurst at the reduced rate of 60 pounds (due to his connections within the army). Even in his Sandhurst records there is no indication of a middle name.

Anyone know exactly when that certain issue of The Ibis (incl. pp.527-531) was published?

Pre- or Post-28 April 1927 ... ?

If the latter I guess the "late" mentioned in Rippon's Obituary mean "April, that just passed". I haven´t seen the full volume (only that pdf).
--

Last edited:
Thanks, James! And Martin, and everybody else.
I assume this mean he did die in April late, the April that just had passed.

Well, thereby George Rippon (1861–1927) it is. I fold, and shall amend my MS accordingly.

My error, my bad. Sorry for wasting everybody's time and for the unwarranted confusion!

Björn

PS. The Good thing is that I don´t have to mess things up further with similar threads on the other guys mentioned in the same Obituary pages. Apparently also they passed in the same 1927 (as is already claimed ... all over). ;)

Not really a waste of time... as you well know by now, it's easy to find incorrect and misleading information these days. Making sure that you have the correct version is not a sin.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back