• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Love watches! (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
I thought I'd liven up this forum a little...;)

I'm MOSTLY a dive watch type person.. I have several....all price ranges. All types of bands but really prefer the nato-type bands since they are easy to change out.

A couple of years ago I stumbled up a British watch brand I really like....called SCURFA. I've bought three of them and shipping to the states is fast and problem free.... On of the best inexpensive watch brands I've ever owned. This is the latest purchase:

IMG_38381.JPG

Whatcha THINK?

Nice watch! Kinda reminds me of a Sinn EZM.

I also like dive watches, but find most of them have cases that are too thick for my preferences. The one I wear the most is a titanium Omega Seamaster w/blue-wave dial. If I get time this weekend, I will try to post a pic or two.

I always liked divers. Black face, rotating bezel, stainless and water resistant. I put a few Seiko divers and a few Invicta divers through hell while surfcasting. Yeah, things get smashed into slippery rocks in the night. The Omega Seamaster 2254.50 was a favorite for eight years (worn to office only - no surfcasting), but then it needed about 1/3 of its original cost in maintenance. Bye-bye Seamaster. Went back to Seiko SKX175 with a replacement Oyster bracelet. Not as accurate, but a tough watch.

Nice watch! Kinda reminds me of a Sinn EZM.

I also like dive watches, but find most of them have cases that are too thick for my preferences. The one I wear the most is a titanium Omega Seamaster w/blue-wave dial. If I get time this weekend, I will try to post a pic or two.

Thanks! Where's the picture?;) I have an Omega Seamaster...dress watch. I hardly wear it but I really like it!

I always liked divers. Black face, rotating bezel, stainless and water resistant. I put a few Seiko divers and a few Invicta divers through hell while surfcasting. Yeah, things get smashed into slippery rocks in the night. The Omega Seamaster 2254.50 was a favorite for eight years (worn to office only - no surfcasting), but then it needed about 1/3 of its original cost in maintenance. Bye-bye Seamaster. Went back to Seiko SKX175 with a replacement Oyster bracelet. Not as accurate, but a tough watch.

The Seiko's ARE hard to beat.. You reminded me I needed to post a picture...2nd generation Orange Monster I wore birding...looks like June 24th!

IMG_3846.jpg

I'm MOSTLY a dive watch type person.. I have several....all price ranges. All types of bands but really prefer the nato-type bands since they are easy to change out.

A couple of years ago I stumbled up a British watch brand I really like....called SCURFA. I've bought three of them and shipping to the states is fast and problem free.... On of the best inexpensive watch brands I've ever owned. This is the latest purchase:

IMG_38381.JPG

Whatcha THINK?

These look superb for the price and I intend to pick up the Bell Diver one on my return to the UK

Thanks,, Andy

IMG_38381.JPG

Whatcha THINK?

Chuck, I'd like to see a picture of this watch under low light conditions.

Citizen BM8471-01E

This one is clunky (~10 mm thick) compared to my favorite Hamilton field watches, so it doesn't slip under a cuff as easily as they do, but I've been loving it over the past year for daily wear with short sleeves at work (teaching). I like practical watches with plain and easy to read dials that are priced like tools rather than jewelry or status symbols. This cheap and cheerful 42 mm ecodrive watch from Citizen is like having a wall clock on your wrist, and the hands and numbers show well in the dark, all night long. Impossible to resist given that it sells for under $100!

--AP

Attachments

• DSC09214_cr.jpg
    DSC09214_cr.jpg
    634.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
I only have two watches, one is a gold Seiko dress watch and the other one is this. Only other watch I’ve been tempted by recently is a Citizen Eco Drive Red Arrows Chronograph. Afraid I only see watches as utilitarian, rather than fashion items or collectibles.

Attachments

• 0FD0E71A-9FF0-4006-87D7-CB67A73FC9DC.jpeg
    0FD0E71A-9FF0-4006-87D7-CB67A73FC9DC.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 58
I’m a bit of a pilot watch fan and have worn my STOWA A dial birding on occasion. If I were to wear a proper watch in the field now it would likely be my Laco as it is cheaper, but I instead wear my Samsung smartwatch as I get bird sightings pop up on screen which I now find really useful as it saves getting my phone out 👍

Few pictures of watches mentioned taken from the interwebs...

3FDA0016-FFE5-4FE2-9BF7-8298C3715166.jpegF8CFA51C-B19A-4AD8-818A-F5AB2D29B47A.jpegCEB0122C-441F-4C85-B7E6-1D48A2207E14.png

Hi

I'm partial to divers watches too, I have a couple, Also like Chronographs too though (y)

Citizen Promaster..
YOaOyXX.jpg

Dan Henry 1963 Chrono
tQmbWTH.jpg

A couple of cheap auto Alpha triple daters!
cE583J1.jpg

1965 Breitling Navitimer manual wind (Venus 178 movement)
PLFjJcV.jpg

A 1970's Jacky Ickx Easy Rider bullhead chrono..
jVSiXor.jpg

Auto Valjoux 7750 powered Victorinox Swiss Army chrono,
U1IZzdy.jpg

One of my more recent buys, Hamilton King Khaki Qtz..
MZWImIk.jpg

Seiko 6139-6002 auto chrono..
NuJxdQr.jpg

Another in silver..
HKME26v.jpg

John(y)

I do have a few new ones since I posted this....
DSC_0005_1.JPG

CWC Royal Navy Diver

image_411.jpg

Helson Shark Diver....one of my very favorites!
That Helsen is a beauty!! :love::love:

I have a Kronos style dive watch that is very similar to the CWC, Also, I used to have one of Eddie Platts's Broadarrows (PRS3) that was very similar but traded it for something else!
KYiUT7W.jpg

Here's a few more of my divers or divers style watches 👍
hwrXCcy.jpg

John 🙂

Recently bought a 2020 Omega Speedmaster Racing Co-axial (I swapped the bracelet for a chestnut brown leather one from Watch Gecko).

The Speedy Racing is less hassle than the manual and somewhat ubiquitous 'Moonwatch' and the glass is sapphire crystal, not acrylic... but then there's no chance of mine smashing into a million pieces in the International Space Station!

Smaller than I'd normally go for, at 40mm. I have 8 1/2" wrists and my scruffy old Longines Conquest is 43mm. I think a lot of people (men) buy watches that are far too big for their wrists; back in the day 39mm was considered large, 36mm standard. I'm getting more and more vintage, so I figured so should my watches!
.DSCF4248.JPG

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back