• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HMW Handbook of the Mammals of the World (2 Viewers)

There is opinion that Gaur is not the largest cattle.Badly need record history of this statement.

I found source of this hypothesis
In HMW2 this refers to Leslie & Scheller(2009) Mammalian Species 836: - Bos mutus. They say: "Mass varies widely among Bos, but B. mutus is generally considered the largest in the genus and the 3rd largest extant
mammal in Asia (Harris 2008)".

In Richard Harris "Wildlife conservation in China: preserving the habitat of China's wild west", 2008 is written:
"And large cow it weighting generally more than any wild bovid, heavier even than American bison or African buffalo. At reputed weight up to ton in adult males(citation) the Wild Yak is larger than all other animals in Eurasia except for Asian elephants and Indian rhinoceroses".

I understand, that author love Yaks, since little kid, but these are very hard words!

the order of people receiving these seems weird...Some people in the UK and on the continent have received it, and some people haven't. Lord knows when someone on the other side of the ocean will get it!

the order of people receiving these seems weird...Some people in the UK and on the continent have received it, and some people haven't. Lord knows when someone on the other side of the ocean will get it!
It's the same each year with HBW, Morgan. Mine seems to arrive long after others have reviewed and discussed it. :smoke:

That's what I was thinking, too! Let's see if Wyoming or Ohio gets it first :)

Steve,

Got my from Lynx yesterday - well worth the wait. As with volume 1, a bit depressing looking at all of the rainforest mammal species which you known you'll never see!

cheers, alan

Alan

With the growing cost of flights for a family of four, a weak pound and my wage effectively going down courtesy of our lovely government, I'm not sure when I'll see a rain forest again, let alone any of the mammals in it.;)

cheers

Between my financial aid check, HMW, and the September issue of Birding, this month has been a lesson in disappointment every time I go to the mail box :(

I recently tried to order HMW through the Lynx site, and it denied my bank account four times. I called the bank and they said that there was absolutely nothing wrong with my bank account, yet Lynx still wouldn't accept it. Has anyone had this problem or a similar one? How have you guys paid? Any suggestions?

I recently tried to order HMW through the Lynx site, and it denied my bank account four times. I called the bank and they said that there was absolutely nothing wrong with my bank account, yet Lynx still wouldn't accept it. Has anyone had this problem or a similar one? How have you guys paid? Any suggestions?

I guess, the problem is local bank issues, if you were trying to use MasterCard or American Express . Successfully paid with Visa, 10 days ago.

This is the bank, responsible for transfer:
http://www.catalunyacaixa.com/Portal/en/Particulares

You can buy it from here, but must pay £15.40 for shipping to USA
http://www.nhbs.com/handbook_of_the_mammals_of_the_world_volume_tefno_158778.html

Last edited:
Try to email Lynx Edicions directly, they were very helpful.

I don't see a problem with Asia's 3rd biggest land mammal. Quick look at HMW shows Javan Rhino to be by far the heaviest, and Wild Yak the longest. Naturally, these dimensions of wild yaks may turn to be the same kind as 11m. anacondas.

Maybe I will wait with discussion until everybody gets his/her book.

Last edited:
I don't see a problem with Asia's 3rd biggest land mammal. Quick look at HMW shows Javan Rhino to be by far the heaviest, and Wild Yak the longest. Naturally, these dimensions of wild yaks may turn to be the same kind as 11m. anacondas.
This made my point , actually. There is no record to justify this statement. Agree, that Yak is the longest, but Gaur is higher and Asian Water buffalo is heavier.Think that, they put Javan Rhino in Indian rhinoceroses here |:d|(they are in same genus). I wrote an artical in one bulgarian magazine called "Is the Doomsday of rhinos near?".Friend of mine called me and said: God, I thought, there is only one species of rhino!?

Last edited:
I just realized, that plates from the HMW would make excellent mammal field guide.

Wonder if Lynx will follow that?

So you guys have ordered from Lynx Edicions before right, it is a legitimate business? When I talked to my banker about the whole credit card issue, she said she thought the website looked suspicious. So now I'm kinda worried about that.

Yeah, Lynx is a legitimate business for sure. Check out the Handbook of the Birds of World series, the pre-cursor to HMW.....Big bucks for big books! Nothing funny about them at all, except their delivery times...sometimes ;) I usually order mine from a UK dealer as I have had problems with printing issues before and have needed to send the book back....much easier to send it in-country than abroad.

They are legit, but it sure would be nice if they followed amazon's lead and let people know the status of their orders beyond "Ships in September"

You can see I am getting frustrated can't you? :-C

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back