• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where Are The Birds (1 Viewer)

TNMOCKINGBIRD

I just wondered if anyone else has noticed there are very few birds around. I first realized it when I noticed all the butterflies and dragonflies that seem to be EVERYWHERE! I looked around for the mockingbirds that I have always enjoyed watching catch these insects and they just seem to be absent. I thought of the mockingbird that had always stayed in the big tree outside my house and hollered. He's gone too. I am getting concerned. I know fall is nearing but don't mockingbirds stay around for the winter? If anyone has any info to confirm or dispute my observation, please post or email. I have also observed a large bird chasing some of the smaller birds earlier in the summer. Some one else had told me they witnessed the same thing, & they even saw the attack. The one I saw looked about the size of a small hawk, smaller than a crow, maybe about the size of a bluejay, but this was no bluejay! Sadly, I fear these may be part of the problem.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BirdForum :t:

What you are witnessing is quite normal. Most all of the birds have finished nesting and are not nearly as protective of their space as they were when there was young ones to be fed.

Keep in mind that there is plenty of natural food around right now and you activity should start picking up when their natural food is gone.

I grew up in East Tennessee with a birdfeeder on the backporch surrounded by woods.

* sigh *

I wish I could go back to those days, that feeder, and all those birds!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back