• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Polish Mr. & Mrs. Branicki's in different "Branicki's Birds" (1 Viewer)

Returning briefly to the Branickis (pronounced Branitzky), I based my Key entries on A. A. Prestwich, 1963, I Name This Parrot, pp. 12/13. Wladyslaw and Ksawery were cousins. The latter's father, Konstanty, decided to found a zoological museum, but died in 1884 before his plans reached fruition. The cousins took over the project, and the Branicki Zoological Museum was opened in 1887. Sztolcman was the museum's first director, and important collectors included Kalinowski. In the Key I have retained the Polish spellings, but now omitted the 'von' (a later German-influenced embellishment).

see e.g. (in Polish):
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ical_mammals_discovered_by_Polish_naturalists

There should be lots of other links in Polish - they are well known naturalists.

But Konstanty Jelski (1837-1896) seems to be of russian origin if The Eponym Dictionary of Birds is correct. If he was born in Minsk it was part of the Russian Empire from 1813 till 1917. And found as well Julian German Kozłowski 1866-1923 e.g.here. So why Julian H. Kozłowski? Not sure if there is bird dedicated to him. But there are mystery Kozlowski's birds ;)

And found as well Julian German Kozłowski 1866-1923 e.g.here. So why Julian H. Kozłowski? Not sure if there is bird dedicated to him.
Phrygilus gayi koslowskii Lowe 1923 ? Current entry in the Key:
koslowskii
Julio Germán Koslowsky (born Julius Kazlauskas) (fl. 1920) Lithuanian/Argentinian naturalist, collector, pioneer explorer in Patagonia (syn. Phrygilus gayi caniceps).
The OD (Ibis 1923:515-516) just notes that the type (and several other specimens from the same locality kept in the British Museum, that are thus paratypes) was collected by "J. Koslowsky", in 1901 in the Valle del Lago Blanco, Chuput, Patagonia.

More about him (in Spanish) [here]. 1866-1923; born in Steinholm near Riga, Latvia. (I'm a bit unclear what makes him Polish in the current sense of the term. Neither does he seem to have been Lithuanian, actually.)
"Julius Kazlauskas" would be the original Latvian (? -- on various places on the Web, Kazlauskas is presented as a Lithuanian version of "Kozłowski"), but I don't find him online under this name; "Juliusz Herman Kozłowski" is a Polish-language equivalent; "Julio Germán Koslowsky" the Spanish version he adopted in Argentina; "Julian", presumably Anglicized ?

(The index of the document in Jurek's link cites the Spanish spelling of the name. The document also cites the Lago Blanco Valley (the type locality of the Phrygilus) as a place where Kozłowski is supposed to have collected.)

Last edited:
But the whole history in this turbulent times is very complicated (at least for me).
Not only for you, I think ;)
Possibly his family (noble and rich according to the Museo paper) was Polish, but then his name having been originally Kazlauskas seems a bit strange.
Latvia was part of the Russian Empire when he was born, I think.

Last edited:
Taphrospilus;3579362 So why Julian [B said:
H.[/B] Kozłowski?

"Germán" is the Spanish spelling of "Herman" [English] or "Hermann" [German]. I'm betting he was born "Hermann" and changed it in Argentina.

Also, was he was a Russian subject at any time? Conversion to & from Cyrillic is a frequent source of confusion between G & H.

Last edited:
For what it´s worth; Greenway (1987) spelled his name "Julius Koslowski" (here, p.28, top, second column)

He´s also mentioned by Pomar (1923) here, in Spanish, as "Julio Koslowsky", on several pages; 41, 62-63, 77-78.

If of any use?

Sorry now it is me to reopen this thread as I found another dedication to the Branicki/Branicka family here. I am not sure how James came to

Hedwige Gräfin Branicka (fl. 1901) mother of Polish zoologist Ksawery Graf Branicki (syn. Chlorochrysa fulgentissima, syn. Metallura eupogon).

I feel with no clear evidence that the dedication might be for here:

Hedwige Comptesse Branicka née Potocka (1827-1916). Not sure if she was mother of Ksawery Graf Branicki as I do not understand this family.

OK. She seems to be the mother of Xavier Alexandre Ladislas Constantin Andrè Léon Branicki (1864-1926) (and Ksawery = Xavier). So the key seems to be correct and may only be enhanced by the birth and death date and née Potocka if James agree.

Or polish Jadwiga Branicka.

Last edited:
And of course the name was already discussed here:

hedvigae (Metallura): for ”Madame la Comtesse Hedvige Branicka”. Name was given by Taczanowski in 1874. The countess is also commemorated in the name hedwigae (Chlorochrysa).
hedwigae (Chlorochrysa): H.Berlepsch & J.Stolzmann, 1901: ”Nous nous permettons de dédier cette belle espèce, qui est très distincte des espèces connues du genre Chlorochrysa, à Mme. La Comtesse Hedwige Branicka, mère de Xavier Branicki.” (we permit ourselves to dedicate this beautiful species, which is very distinct from the known species of the genus Chlorochrysa, to Madam Countess H.B., mother of X.B. See also hedvigae)

Well found!

Soo it seem, "Lesbia victoriae juliae" HARTERT 1899 (as "Psalidoprymna juliae")... now suddenly, in this entry from 1902 (according to von Berlepsch & Stolzmann) contradicts HBW Alive ... !?

Let´s wait for James ...

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claim is of couse less than we discussed here.
Black-tailed Trainbearer ssp. Lesbia victoriae juliae Hartert, 1899
Hartert left no etymology and there are too many possible candidates to make even an inspired guess as to the 'Julia' in question. Oscar Theodor Baron collected the hummingbird holotype in Peru.

Sorry now it is me to reopen this thread as I found another dedication to the Branicki/Branicka family here. I am not sure how James came to

I feel with no clear evidence that the dedication might be for here:

Hedwige Comptesse Branicka née Potocka (1827-1916). Not sure if she was mother of Ksawery Graf Branicki as I do not understand this family.

OK. She seems to be the mother of Xavier Alexandre Ladislas Constantin Andrè Léon Branicki (1864-1926) (and Ksawery = Xavier). So the key seems to be correct and may only be enhanced by the birth and death date and née Potocka if James agree.

Or polish Jadwiga Branicka.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Metaltail sp. Metallura hedvigae Taczanowski, 1874 NCR [Alt. Fiery-throated Metaltail; JS Metallura eupogon] Orange-eared Tanager Chlorochrysa hedwigae Berlepsch & Stolzmann, 1901 NCR [JS Chlorochrysa calliparaea] (See Branicki)

Leads us to here
Branicki's Hummingbird2 Heliodoxa branickii Taczanowski, 1874 [Alt. Rufous-webbed Brilliant]
Grey-mantled Wren2 Odontorhynchus branickii Taczanowski & Berlepsch, 1885
Branicki's Conure4 Leptosittaca branickii Berlepsch & Stolzmann, 1894 [Alt. Golden-plumed Parakeet]
Branicki's Ibis5 Theristicus branickii Berlepsch & Stolzmann, 1894 [Alt. Andean Ibis; Syn. Theristicus melanopis branickii]
Tanager 3 sp. Chlorochrysa hedwigae Berlepsch & Stolzmann, 1901 NCR [Alt. Orange-eared Tanager; JS Chlorochrysa calliparaea]
Branicki's Tinamou1 Nothoprocta ornata branickii Taczanowski, 1875 [Alt. Ornate Tinamou ssp.]
Branicki's Blue-and-black Tanager2 Tangara vassorii branickii Taczanowski, 1882
Booted Racket-tail6 ssp. Ocreatus underwoodii annae Berlepsch & Stolzmann, 1894
The first generation of the family were Alexander, Count Branicki1 (1821–1877), Hieronim Florian Radziwill Konstanty Count Branicki2 (1824–1884) and his wife Jadwiga (Hedwiga) Potocka, Countess Branicka3 (1827–1916) and the youngest brother Count Wladyslaw (Ladislas) Michael Branicki4 (1848– 1914). The next generation is represented by the son of Hieronim and Jadwiga, Xavier, Count Branicki5 (1864–1926) and and Countess Anna Branicka6 (1876–1953), who was a daughter of Count Wladyslaw (Ladislas) Michael Branicki. The superscript numbers refer to which family member eponymised in which birds. The wealthy aristocratic Polish Branicki family was very interested in hunting and Alexander and Konstanty started hunting abroad (1863), visiting Egypt, Sudan, Palestine and Algeria. Zoologists such as Taczanowski (q.v.) and Waga (q.v.) accompanied them and they were persuaded to take a more scientific approach to their favourite pastime (1867). They employed Konstanty Jelski (q.v.) to collect for them in South America. They also employed Jean Stanislas Stolzmann (q.v.), Mikhail Ivanovich Jankowski (q.v.) and Jan Kalinowski (q.v.) as collectors. This resulted in the creation of the Branicki Museum in Poland. Poland was then part of the Imperial Russian Empire and they feared that the museum in St Petersburg might be covetous and transfer the collections. So Konstanty decided to rotect it by establishing a private museum, which was achieved (1887) after his death by his nephew Wladyslaw and his own son Xavier. Following the Treaty of Versailles (1919) Poland became independent and the collections were transferred to the state.

But the key is sill missing her birth year here. I personally would mention her as Hedwige (Jadwiga) Gräfin Branicka née Potocka (1827-1916).

Take it for what's worth.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back