• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Etymologies; the beginning of the end, or .... (1 Viewer)

The itooi name is not explained in English but maybe in the Japanese part. I added the page about furuitii falcon.
For what it's worth, Google Translate transcribes "Itō" as "伊藤", which I think I see in the penultimate line of p.54 (just after "ci, 21."). My reading of Kanji doesn't go much farther than this, I fear.
----
伊藤和貴氏**. ? ("Itō Kazutaka-shi", "Mr. Kazutaka Itō" ?)

Last edited:
In TYPES OF JAPANESE BIRDS
Hiroyuki Moriokai, Edward C. Dickinson, Takashi Hiraoka,
Desmond Allen and Takeshi Yamasaki
is a mention of Kazutaka Itō.
"Cinclus pallasii itooi Momiyama, 1927, Annot,Orn. Orient,,1 (1),pp. 1
(nomen nudum, 54 (Jap.), [J].
Details from 0D. TYpe locality:Kawaguchi (upper Kagami River),Kagami-mura,
Tosa-gun, [ Tosa[Kochi Prefecture].Holotype: Momiyama
Prov No. ci, 21, ad. 6 collected 14 Feb. 1927 by an unknown collector and
donated by Kazutaka [or Kazuki]Ito.
Other details. Holotype: YIO Mom, 27,0453,details as above.
Now. In the synonymy of Cinclus pallasii pallasi Temminck, 1820 (Orn.
Soc.Japan, 2000,Check-list:199);previously in the synonymy of Cincius
paliasiihondoensisMomiyama, 1927 (Orn,Soc, Japan, 1942,Hand-list:78).
And "Ceryle lugubrissi koldana Momiyama, 1927,Annot,Orn.Orient.1 (l),pp.1
(nomen nudum), 67,[J/El.
Details from OD. [type locality:Iklcu-mura,Tbsa-gun, Prov [Ibsa[Kochi
Prefecture].Holotype:Momiyama Prov No. c, 10, ad. scollected 20 Dec,
1926,collector unknown and donated by Kazutaka Itō".

I agree with Laurent, well found Mark! And well linked, Laurent :t:

That pdf probably also gives us (for example), on page 22:

abei
● as in "Parus atricapillus abei" MISHIMA 1961 (the one missing from the unseen Japan Wildlife Bulletin 18)
"…, collected 2 Apr. 1950 by Hisashi Abe"
I guess it could be worth reading all of it!

Björn

PS. As the type specimen of "Parus atricapillus abei" was collected at "Kôhtsu-san, Tokushima" in 1950, I guess (!) we´re talking of this man (here); Hisashi Abe (1933–), retired professor in Hokkaido University Natural History Museum (in 2013; Director of Hokkaido University Botanic Garden & Museum, Field Science Center for Northern Biosphere).

At least he apparently collected a specimen of the Dsinezumi Shrew Crocidura dsinezumi at "Kawashima, Tokushima pref." in the early 1950's, even before he started his University Studies, and a specimen of Japanese Shrew Mole Urotrichus talpoides on "Kotsu-san, Tokushima pref." [most likely on the mountain Kōtsū-san] in 1954 ... Of all he collected, see here.

It ought to be the proper guy.
---

Last edited:
Travaux de la Société Impériale des Naturalistes de St.- Pétersbourg
1898 Alectoris graeca margaritae Davidoff, 29, p. 57+
[Here] it is said of Konstantin Nikolaevich Davydov:
Году в 1897 году у него появилась гражданская жена, Маргарита Никандровна Зилова, прожившая с Давыдовым более 20 лет, хотя брак официально не был зарегистрирован.
So at the time he introduced the name, he had a "гражданская жена" (a common-law wife) named Margarita Nikandrovna Zilova.

[Here] it is said of Konstantin Nikolaevich Davydov:

So at the time he introduced the name, he had a "гражданская жена" (a common-law wife) named Margarita Nikandrovna Zilova.
Google translate gives us:
... In year 1897 he had a civil wife, Margarita Nikandrovna Zilova, who lived with Davydov for more than 20 years, although the marriage was not officially registered. According to the memoirs of those who knew her after 1919, she was a rather overweight woman who was much older than Davydov, whom he (in his words) came to under the windows in Tver "with a guitar under the stink" in his youth. ...
Well found, Laurent! :t:

Yes, thanks again, Laurent. Another Russian name resolved. These little nuggets make my day as I laboriously work through the synonymous genera in the Key (have just reworked Gambetta).

Last edited:
prince Aleksandr Yevgen'yevich Kudashev - A talented ornithologist, student of the Petrograd University, author of several scientific publications, he took part in a trip to the Aral Sea together with NA Zarudny, one of the subspecies of bird he described is named in honor of his bride. After 1917, there is not any information about him. He probably died in the Civil War. There is no biographical publications about him, so far as I know, no.

Could it be this guy here? Alexander Sergeevich Kudashev (1872 - 1917)?

It does say Александр Евгеньевич Кудашев (Aleksandr Yevgenyevich Kudashev), here (in text, all in Russian) ... but no additional dates or years, nor regarding his wife Tatyana (not that I can see anyway, not understandig Russian at all, only helped by Google Translate).

PS. Its the same paper as in Laurent´s Post #25.
--

Last edited:
Excerpts from that document (via Google Translate with minor emendations -- it's a pretty good quality translation):

In the summer of 1914, a student of the University, Prince Alexander Evgenievich Kudashev, took part in the expedition of N. A. Zarudny to survey the shores of the Aral Sea. It is difficult to doubt that this trip took place under the patronage of Deryugin, who continued to maintain contacts with the teacher of youth after Zarudny's move to Tashkent.

Soon after graduating from the University, Lazdin began to prepare for a long trip. The pretext to it was the desire to collect material on the development of rare sturgeon fish - the great Amudarya (???) pseudo-pathogen (Pseudoscaphirhynchus kaufmanni). Lazdin organized the expedition at his own expense, but secured the support (including financial) of the Petrograd Society of Naturalists. It was necessary to reach the southernmost limits of the Russian Empire. Like Deryugin, Lazdin planned to collect extensive zoological collections.

Lazdin's companions were to be AE Kudashev and NV Prosvirov. Kudashev was a talented ornithologist, he studied the fauna of birds in the vicinity of Sochi for several years. At the suggestion of Deriugin, he compiled the next issue of the catalog of the collections of the Zoological Cabinet of Petrograd University, during this work he singled out several new forms of birds (the Crimean subspecies of Dubonos named [by] Kudashev in honor of his bride Tatiana). Plans for a new trip could not come true, as Kudashev himself put it, "in view of the war."

The last publication of Kudashev was published in the journal for 1917. Later his name appeared in 1924 in a book on "revolutionary youth", which published materials about Kudashev's participation in printing the illegal satirical magazine "Nedotykomka" published in the elite Vvedensky gymnasium of St. Petersburg and proclamations of the Social Democratic content. Apparently, this did not save him from the "red terror". The already completed issue of the Catalog of Collections of the Zoological Cabinet has never been published.

I don't know what species "Dubonos" refers to.

At the end of the document are references: you could try looking for

Lazdin V.Ya. 1915. Route of a trip with a zoological purpose to Eastern Bukhara and the Western Pamirs // Yearbook of the Zoological Museum of the Empress. AN. T. 20. S. LIV-LVIII.

but it looks like Kudashev didn't go on this trip. (If he had, we would have known his date of death because most of the participants were killed by bandits.)

Last edited:
Also see post #134 in thread Some "unseen" descriptions … now seen! (here), for the invalid "L. c. [Linaria cannabina] kudashevi" PORTENKO 1960 ...

Why it ended up listed as kudaschewi in today's Key, is however beyond me.

Björn

I think I must have got kudaschewi from a German text, but I haven't recorded the origin. Linaria cannabina Kudashevi Portenko, 1960, is listed in Peters 1968, XIV, p. 256, but I have not yet found the Coccothraustes coccothraustes named after Tatyana.

I think I must have got kudaschewi from a German text, but I haven't recorded the origin. Linaria cannabina Kudashevi Portenko, 1960, is listed in Peters 1968, XIV, p. 256, but I have not yet found the Coccothraustes coccothraustes named after Tatyana.
The OD of the hawfinch is now viewable [here].
The Richmond Index (card [here]) has kudashevi as 'kudaschevi', corrected manually from (I think) 'kudaschewi', but cited from an apparently later source (a 1962 work in Труды зоологического института, instead of the 4th volume of Птицы СССР, which is dated 1960).

Last edited:
Coccothraustes coccothraustes tatjanae

Note the dedication (in Russian):
Называю эту форму въ честь моей невѣсты, много помогающей мнѣ въ моихъ научныхъ работахъ. [from the BHL, OCR reader]

Also note the brief English part in the title of the OD: "[Оп the russian species of Genus Coccothraustes. Ву Ргіпсе Alexander Koudashev].

If relevant, or not? Maybe clues to find them both?

/B

Coccothraustes coccothraustes tatjanae

Note the dedication (in Russian):
I have translated the dedication in [post #25] above.

(As I understand it (I'd be happy to be corrected), невеста ('невѣста' before the spelling reforms), which Google translates as 'bride' (also in the first quote in [Paul's post] above), can mean a fiancee or a recently married wife. It can also simply mean a girl of an age at which she can marry, but this meaning is not compatible with her having been 'his' невеста.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back