• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So I was wondering ? (1 Viewer)

Steve

Staff member
United Kingdom
What sort of wrist watch do you wear in the field or out and about, do you have several? or just one favourite?

Feel free to post a picture, here is my everyday watch :t:

Attachments

• IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 346
Cheers Andy, coming up for two years now, I`m a big Seiko divers fan, looking to get a 6105 if I can find a good example, many are franken watches now with modded parts fitted.

For a diving watch,have a look at the rolex 116660 deep sea Blue, Stunning !

Very nice, certainly would`nt be my daily wear though !!

Really like the Tudor Pelagos and Black Bay at the moment, passed on a nice Pelagos last year, splashed out on the Leica`s instead.

I gave-up wearing watches for 20+ years because I rode a motorcycle and they interfere with the cuffs, and same problem with year-round cycling. I've been just relying on my cell phone or any nearby computer.

I finally decided I wanted to track fitness metrics so I went hunting for a fitness watch and after a year of on-and-off research went with the Basis Peak. But they just got recalled with no word on a successor. So I'm back to being watch-free and on the hunt for a replacement fitness watch. Right now only the Pebble 2 series (due to ship next year) looks promising, though it is a big step down in sensor tech and data collection.

I have realised I hate the whole concept of time - everything I enjoy doing has the potential to be spoiled to some degree by time, and everything I have to do but don't enjoy is dictated by it. Needless to say, my favourite days in the field are watchless!

Cheers Andy, coming up for two years now, I`m a big Seiko divers fan, looking to get a 6105 if I can find a good example, many are franken watches now with modded parts fitted.

Thanks for the info. Yep, you need to be wary if you want a genuine classic of any marque, all sorts of non standard bits as fashion dictates.
cheers,
Andy

Raymond Weil,
been everywhere with me since I bought it on the way home from Israel in 98, just noticed the date is wrong but I can't see it now anyway!

A

Attachments

• rsz_p9070944.jpg
    rsz_p9070944.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 278
... been watching this Rolex "Zephyr" since 1982.

Ed

Attachments

• Rolex Zephyr #2.jpg
    Rolex Zephyr #2.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 237
I used an entry level Omega Chronostop Seamaster bought in 1970 mainly for sailing used it continuously until '79 when I replaced it with a Seiko quartz sports 100 and was worn daily until 2001 when I broke the bracelet. Instead of spending £120 on replacing the bracelet, scatched glass and service, I bought two Suunto X-Landers, one of the buttons failed on the first one and I find the face of the second one unreadable in certain light conditions because of the poor LCD display. Five years ago I bought a Seiko military style Chronograph which until a couple of weeks ago was doing fine, albeit with a scratched glass, but after having the battery changed discovered the button resetting the stop watch was no longer functioning.

I have just acquired a Citizen Royal Marines Commando (Eco-Drive) watch, which despite it dubious (marketing) connection, promises much. Rugged construction, titanium case, Kevlar strap (more comfortable than nylon) and water resistant to 300M. It is a sensible size and the RM Commando box on the face which can put off prospective buyers is hardly noticeable.

The original Seiko still works keeping exceptional time, I replaced the bracelet with a nylon strap and use it as a gardening watch. Only reason I don,t use it as an everyday watch is because it's glass is much scratched and the dial is no longer luminous but it is 37 years old.
Incidently my Omega stopped working a couple of years ago so I had it restored (it's apparently classed as vintage) plus a new glass (rather soft plexiglass) and two helium valves, cost £680! I now just wear it for best I regard it as modest bling.

Last edited:
I use the omega seamaster and I also have a rotary aqua speed and to top them off 3 different gshocks with wrist compass on the straps

If only I could learn to restrict my watch shopping, they are one of my biggest wastes of money after optics and camera gear! Here are a few of my current favourites.

Attachments

• 4190632050_de604846b4_b.jpg
    4190632050_de604846b4_b.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 224
  • 8388965659_cfe095a60b_o.jpg
    8388965659_cfe095a60b_o.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 231
  • 8408401072_ee13e02719_o.jpg
    8408401072_ee13e02719_o.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 224
Haven't worn a watch for 10 -20 years (I have no clue how long really, which is perhaps slightly ironic).

Could say it was liberating, but the sad truth is that with the onset of portable speaking devices (mobiles), and eventually getting one myself, an actual watch became superfluous.

How old are most of the people on this thread, claiming to be into watches? ... ;)

...with the onset of portable speaking devices (mobiles), and eventually getting one myself, an actual watch became superfluous.

How old are most of the people on this thread, claiming to be into watches? ... ;)

For me, wearing a watch is essential to my sense of time. I see the dial subconsciously (I think even in my sleep), and it informs my brain of the time and of how much time is passing. Of course I look at it deliberately too, when I want to know the time consciously. Mobile devices etc work for the latter use, but not the former, at least for me. Even for the latter use, I find it irritating to have to fish them out of my pocket rather than just stealing a glance at my wrist.

I'm 45.

I like Hamilton Khaki Quartz (several related "field" models) with brushed stainless steel case, black dial with clear numbers, white luminescent hands, sapphire crystal, and fitted with one-piece (modified to remove the "extra" piece) Zulu nato style band from Maratac. I have an automatic version as well, which is fun and beautiful but not as practical or cost effective as quartz drive.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back