• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Victory HT 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Starre

Hello, I just got this binoculars after comparing it with a Conquest HD and a Leica Trinovid (not the newer HD) all 8x42. Leica was sharp and compact but less bright, Conquest not as sharp but close. Any owners of the 8x42 HT here and what do you think of it?

Love mine, bought them within a couple of months of their launch; at the time I was considering these or Swarovski EL. The Victory HT's won it for me, as ergonomically, they are superb in the hand and to my eye they were brighter. I felt that the Swarovski had a slighter better colour definition; however again to my eye the HT's were sharper around the edge of the image.

Hello, I just got this binoculars after comparing it with a Conquest HD and a Leica Trinovid (not the newer HD) all 8x42. Leica was sharp and compact but less bright, Conquest not as sharp but close. Any owners of the 8x42 HT here and what do you think of it?

Hej Starre

HT is bright and has a transparancy of view that beats SF, IMHO, and means it really performs well in dull situations like dawn, dusk and under dark skies. However SF hits back with a huge FOV which is so useful in so many situations and although HT handles very nicely I think SF is easier to hold steady for longer periods. SF is sharper nearer the edges but to me that doesn't mean so much: HT is plenty sharp enough.

HT provides its own balance of performance and handling.

Lee

Last edited:
Hej Starre

HT is bright and has a transparancy of view that beats SF, IMHO, and means it really performs well in dull situations like dawn, dusk and under dark skies. However SF hits back with a huge FOV which is so usefull in so many situations and although HT handles very nicely I think SF is easier to hold steady for longer periods. SF is sharper nearer the edges but to me that doesn't mean so much: HT is plenty sharp enough.

HT provides its own balance of performance and handling.

Lee

Ok nice, of the 3 tested the HT had the biggest view, but the SF is then even bigger/wider, must be pleasant to have. Like you say I can see a small difference in sharpness at the edges, but since it is very sharp in center I do not think it is a deal breaker, thus I got it.

Hi,

I have both HT, 8 and 10x42. Great binoculars, indeed. And, as Troubador says, they are the best 42s for low light conditions. Their ergonomics, to me, are second to none. Almost perfect!!
Good luck with your 8x42 HT!

PHA

I've used most everything, apart from the new NV's, and have yet to see a more transparent or more vivid view. I use them everyday, and everyday they amaze.

**IMO of course and you will find the differences in the top binos to be pretty minute - they're all pretty fantastic.

Compared these to my Nikon HG L 10x25 and for sure they are "much" brighter. Sharpness is almost the same, hard to tell a clear difference. The small Nikon is sharper to the edge but less field of view. The bigger Zeis is more neutral in color I think, and thanks to the bigger exit pupils easier to use. But even if the Zeiss is better I am impressed how good the little Nikon is.

Compared these to my Nikon HG L 10x25 and for sure they are "much" brighter. Sharpness is almost the same, hard to tell a clear difference. The small Nikon is sharper to the edge but less field of view. The bigger Zeis is more neutral in color I think, and thanks to the bigger exit pupils easier to use. But even if the Zeiss is better I am impressed how good the little Nikon is.

Starre

When Spring begins, give yourself a treat and nip over to Smaland and visit Storre Mosse with the HTs. Even under dark skies you will find the HTs perform well in the woods around the mosse. Great place for birds and trollslaender.

Lee

I originally compared the HT and the Conquest HD when looking for my first pair of bins and ultimately decided on the Conquest HD due to cost. I compared the two in the daytime, and couldn't see much of a difference in brightness. Mind you, I was very inexperienced with binoculars at the time.

After a few years, I decided to do another comparison and the HTs have a much, much better view. The resolution is sharper, there is much, much less CA than the Conquest. The HTs just have this "pop" that makes images look so good. However, I'm finding that the Conquest HD is really no slouch when it comes to brightness.

I originally compared the HT and the Conquest HD when looking for my first pair of bins and ultimately decided on the Conquest HD due to cost. I compared the two in the daytime, and couldn't see much of a difference in brightness. Mind you, I was very inexperienced with binoculars at the time.

After a few years, I decided to do another comparison and the HTs have a much, much better view. The resolution is sharper, there is much, much less CA than the Conquest. The HTs just have this "pop" that makes images look so good. However, I'm finding that the Conquest HD is really no slouch when it comes to brightness.

Hi Bloody, when looking through the Conquests do make sure you are looking on-axis as viewing off-centre makes a big difference to the CA. I find the Conquest plenty bright enough but near dawn or dusk or under dark skies or in dark skies and pouring rain, HT has a significant advantage.
Won't blame you if you stick with the Conquest and shout that its a bargain because I feel that way about the 8x32 version.

Lee

Hi Bloody, when looking through the Conquests do make sure you are looking on-axis as viewing off-centre makes a big difference to the CA. I find the Conquest plenty bright enough but near dawn or dusk or under dark skies or in dark skies and pouring rain, HT has a significant advantage.
Won't blame you if you stick with the Conquest and shout that its a bargain because I feel that way about the 8x32 version.

Lee

Hi Lee,

Yes, I notice that there is more CA if I don't have the IPD set correctly. However, I am quite sensitive to CA for some reason.

The other reason I went with the Conquest HD was due to the size difference from the HT.

Hi Lee,

Yes, I notice that there is more CA if I don't have the IPD set correctly. However, I am quite sensitive to CA for some reason.

The other reason I went with the Conquest HD was due to the size difference from the HT.

I wear spectacles so it is easy to put the bins up to my glasses so I am not looking on axis as the bins aren't centred by the eyecups nestling into my eye sockets, so if you wear glasses this is something to look out for.

Lee

I wear spectacles so it is easy to put the bins up to my glasses so I am not looking on axis as the bins aren't centred by the eyecups nestling into my eye sockets, so if you wear glasses this is something to look out for.

Lee

I normally wear contact lenses, as my glasses are way too heavy (-8.50 in both eyes).

However, the downside is that I find that most bins don't have long enough eyecups for me. The Conquest HD is the only exception out of the 8 bins that I currently own, since Zeiss provided extended eye cups. This is the sole reason that I still keep these bins, as they are the most comfortable out of all the bins that I own (Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42, Swarovski EL 10x32 SV, Cabelas Instinct Euro HD 10x32, Swarovski 10x25 CL-P, Zeiss Terra 10x25 Pocket, Pentax AD 8x25 WP, Pentax Papillio II 8.5x21, and Bushnell Powerview 8x21).

I was outside today in sunny winter weather with the Zeiss HT. Very bright and good depth in view, a clear improvement over the small Nikon.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back