• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

noctivid fov (1 Viewer)

I recently read a review of the noctivids in Birdwatching.com that claims that the fov for the 8x42 and 10x42 are 443 and 376 feet, respectively. Does not seem right to me - seems wildly inflated. Am I incorrect about this?

Yes, it is incorrect. It is also incorrect in the PDF of the stats for the binoculars on the Leica website if you check there.

The translation from meters @ 1000 meters to feet @1000yards is incorrect. They forgot that yards are shorter than meters.

The linear FOV for the 8x42 is 7.7º and 6.4º for the 10x42. Multiply these degrees by 52.5 feet to get the FOV in feet.

Bob

Last edited:
I believe that we here in the USA also use the same standard gauge for our railroad tracks that England uses; which was based on the axle width of the Roman Chariot.

The only three nations that do not use the metric system are Myanmar, Liberia and the United States. ��

Non-metric systems do live on throughout the world. For example, shoe sizes in Germany are typically shown in EU and British sizing. Plumbing pipe sizes in the Netherlands. International standards like the nautical mile and knot have whole metric units.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautical_mile

Last edited:
And in the UK our fuel for cars is sold in £GBP per litre but our road signs give us distances in miles not kilometres and the fuel economy is provided by magazines and manufacturers as miles per gallon but the emissions that arise from the cars burning this fuel is given in grams per kilometre.

AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH :eek!:

:-O :-O :-O
Lee

And in the UK our fuel for cars is sold in £GBP per litre but our road signs give us distances in miles not kilometres and the fuel economy is provided by magazines and manufacturers as miles per gallon but the emissions that arise from the cars burning this fuel is given in grams per kilometre.

AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH :eek!:

:-O :-O :-O
Lee

Really time for a brexitB :)B :)

I think that Napoleon or a compatriot introduced 100 minutes in the hour. I can't remember whether 10 hours in a day.
It lasted about a year.
Some clocks have these intervals.
Maybe the French surveyor who got the kilometre slightly wrong lost his head. Meant to be 10,000 kms equator to pole.

The nautical mile has many values.

Wide gauge trains ride well, but going into Russia etc. trains have to be changed.

The milibar was changed to hPa hectopascals or maybe fruit pastels. They are the same, but I think there is no hecto in SI units, It was made up as a fudge.

1.0936132 is the factor or 2.54x36 equals 0.9144 regarding the often incorrect fields. Anyway they rarely measure exactly as stated but Zeiss and Leica are very close to stated values. Probably Swarovski also. Nikon and Minolta are pretty good also. Except 10x40 Action VII is almost 11x40.

Many cheap Chinese binocular specs. are complete fiction.

P.S.
Brunei train track 7ft.?

When driving in Scandinavia on a trunk road at high speed, my car was very unstable because the track was 4ft 10in.
The studded tyres of most cars had left deep tracks in the road surface, which were a bit narrower.
The car kept weaving side to side.

At a garage filling station I chatted to a Swede with a Lamborghini. I asked how fast he driven in it. He said 305kph.
I don't know how he kept it on the road. Maybe the track was very wide.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back