• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Trinovid worth it ? (1 Viewer)

Do you guys think these bins are still worth 1000 euros ?

Johnny-come-lately here...

To answer your question in three words: Yes they are!

I absolutely love my 10x42 Trinovid, a solid 10 out of 10 so to speak. They are in good company. The 7 x 42 UV+ is next.

Attachments

• P1040469_1_1.JPG
    P1040469_1_1.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 311
  • P1040467_1_1.JPG
    P1040467_1_1.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 221
Unfortunately there is no way to test them outdoors for a few hours. This would be perfect but simply not possible. Next time I test them mostly for ER and ease of view. Just to make sure I buy one that really fits my eyes.
The SF was really too much ! Maybe that super sharp flat field binoculars are just not my thing. As I was panning left to right I got somewhat sick and confused. Price tag is 1499 Euros new for the last grey model. The price is very interesting but I think I would sell it sooner or later.

And all my writings are just an absolute beginners experience. I never saw CA with any set of bins. And yes, maybe they are all sharp. To be honest, after all I wasn't able to tell the difference between a plastic bottle and a Noctivid.

To be honest, after all I wasn't able to tell the difference between a plastic bottle and a Noctivid.

Well, it can't be that bad, so don't hide your light under a bushel too much ... ;)
I think you should go back and focus on the Trinovid which you first had in mind. If you really like it, maybe that's all there is. The only problem with it: it will outlast you, and your grandchildern will still like it once you are history.
After all, differences in sharpness, contrast, CA, brightness, etc. etc. tend to be quite small if you compare excellent binos like the Leicas, Zeiss or Swaro. I still wait for the birder who can demonstrate a situation in which he or she can determine the species of a bird with an SF 8x42 that cannot be determined as well with a Trinovid 8x42.

...I still wait for the birder who can demonstrate a situation in which he or she can determine the species of a bird with an SF 8x42 that cannot be determined as well with a Trinovid 8x42.
Canip, that might be less improbable than you think, and might happen in a quick look at a raptor or other high-flying bird. Here is what Mike Alibone in Birdguides said in a review of the Trinovid HD 10x42 (http://www.birdguides.com/webzine/article.asp?a=5840). According to yourself (post #2 above) the older Trinovid that Riverstalker seeks "shows similar amounts of CA".

"This glass is a different grade from that which is used in the Ultravid, accounting for the price differential. It may also account for the level of chromatic aberration evident in the image. Watching Common Swifts against a grey, though bright, sky for instance highlighted a greater degree of colour fringing in the centre of the image than I would have expected, but in all other viewing conditions this was largely unnoticeable."

It happens that I am right now particularly alert for this situation with this model, as I am thinking of paring down my binoculars to just a pocket 8x20/25 and a 15x56, but sometimes think of adding a smallish 10x mostly for high-fliers, and the Trinovid HD is the smallest of the very good 10x42s. However, I have not used the more recent Trinovids or the SF, therefore am not sure how much that "greater degree" of CA will hamper ID, hence am open to correction by those with more experience.

Last edited:
Unfortunately there is no way to test them outdoors for a few hours. This would be perfect but simply not possible. Next time I test them mostly for ER and ease of view. Just to make sure I buy one that really fits my eyes.
The SF was really too much ! Maybe that super sharp flat field binoculars are just not my thing. As I was panning left to right I got somewhat sick and confused. Price tag is 1499 Euros new for the last grey model. The price is very interesting but I think I would sell it sooner or later.

And all my writings are just an absolute beginners experience. I never saw CA with any set of bins. And yes, maybe they are all sharp. To be honest, after all I wasn't able to tell the difference between a plastic bottle and a Noctivid.

A SF with 1.000,00 euro discount from a legit Zeiss dealer?
Where are you waiting for?

Jan

oh jan ... the price is hot but the SF is too overpowered to my eyes. I think rolling ball effect would disturb me too. Thats why I did not try the SV, same binoculars in many ways what people wrote at birdforum.
The old Trinovid is still more than 1000 Euro. Way too expensive I think ...
I really liked the CL Pocket 8x25, maybe I start with them and buy a full size later. Let`s see ...

oh jan ... the price is hot but the SF is too overpowered to my eyes. I think rolling ball effect would disturb me too. Thats why I did not try the SV, same binoculars in many ways what people wrote at birdforum.
The old Trinovid is still more than 1000 Euro. Way too expensive I think ...
I really liked the CL Pocket 8x25, maybe I start with them and buy a full size later. Let`s see ...

OK, but the old Leica Trinovid in red is 750,00 euro, so you're right but the owner can allways go down in price, never higher;).

Jan

After all, differences in sharpness, contrast, CA, brightness, etc. etc. tend to be quite small if you compare excellent binos like the Leicas, Zeiss or Swaro. I still wait for the birder who can demonstrate a situation in which he or she can determine the species of a bird with an SF 8x42 that cannot be determined as well with a Trinovid 8x42.

Hello Canip,

Pure heresy!

Actually, among those binoculars it is mostly personal preference. Colour bias, focussing, rolling ball and ergonomics may paramount in deciding among them.

Experience, persistence and patience make a better birdwatcher than do his optics.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

I still wait for the birder who can demonstrate a situation in which he or she can determine the species of a bird with an SF 8x42 that cannot be determined as well with a Trinovid 8x42.

Same can be said for lots of different binoculars when compared with the SF, many cost 1/3 the price.

Same can be said about cars.
They will all bring me to Rome. How do they bring me to Rome?

Do I need a FOV of 148 meters, high transmission, no lens faults, ultimate coatings, sharpness to the edge etc or am I satisfied with less. It's nothing more than personal preference.

Jan

The new Opticron Bga Vhd is well worth consideration, I tried a 10x42 today, it may well have just changed the sub £500 perception, very sharp on axis, gradual fall off towards the edge, bright, very little CA, and very light.

Good point, proper evaluating a binocular takes days, under many light conditions to properly
get acquainted. It is easy to find those you just can't get along with, as far as ergos. and handling.

Jerry

Back in 2009 when I was ready to jump in and buy a good pair of binos, I spent a lot of after work time at the shop trying everything. That's when I joined this site to learn more about optics. It finally came down to be between a 8.5x42 Swarovski or 8x42 Ultravid BR. My shop let me take home both pairs for a weekend. I live out in the country with lots of trees, rolling fields and mountains in the back yard, so was able to give each bino a really good test.

I ended up keeping the Leicas, but it was close.

I did a second run and just checked out my favourites. I concentraded mainly on ease of view, overall fit and finish, handling and of course colour reproduction.

The winner when it comes to colours is the Noctivid ! The handling is somewhat strange though. It's a heavy brick and I tend to "jam" my fingers into the bridge when adjusting IPD. Same with the Trinovid 2012/2015, the barrels come pretty close when adjusting them to my eyes. Noctivid is beautiful build and the greatest colour experience, focus feels better on the SF though.

Zeiss SF clear winner in ergonomics ! Just more yellowish colours compared to the Noctivid. Checked for RB but nothing fancy. I may could live with it. Great view just not as washed clear than the Noctivid. Ease of view a little better than the Leica too.

Swarovski CL Pocket 8x25 was again very easy on the eyes, nice optics, nice built quality. I want one of those anyway ;-) I think they are the clear winner within their class.

Zeiss Conquest HD very nice overall, HT I could just try the bigger version but loved everything about it. All fine binoculars.

These are my favs, I buy one the next weeks when I have more time to use them. Shop says in worst case I can swap them out for other model after a week or so. Just in case RB killes me or whatever can go wrong.

The 2012/2015 Trinovid is out, the Leica Store won't go below 980 Euros and they are not worth it to me. Ease of view is medium at the most, the thumb rests are a bit akward and the barrels tend to push my fingers at ideal IPD. They are build like a dream and look just stunning though !!!

After all I'd like to have the Noctivid colours in a SF housing :)

Keep you updated folks and thanks for all the help and input !

Cheers Max

Forgot some ... If any Nerd out there is keen for a Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 T*P ... I know a mate that sells his for 1200 Euros. Condition is good, had a complete check at Zeiss in 2015. The papers of the check are included.

I did a second run and just checked out my favourites. I concentraded mainly on ease of view, overall fit and finish, handling and of course colour reproduction.

The winner when it comes to colours is the Noctivid ! The handling is somewhat strange though. It's a heavy brick and I tend to "jam" my fingers into the bridge when adjusting IPD. Same with the Trinovid 2012/2015, the barrels come pretty close when adjusting them to my eyes. Noctivid is beautiful build and the greatest colour experience, focus feels better on the SF though.

Zeiss SF clear winner in ergonomics ! Just more yellowish colours compared to the Noctivid. Checked for RB but nothing fancy. I may could live with it. Great view just not as washed clear than the Noctivid. Ease of view a little better than the Leica too.

Swarovski CL Pocket 8x25 was again very easy on the eyes, nice optics, nice built quality. I want one of those anyway ;-) I think they are the clear winner within their class.

Zeiss Conquest HD very nice overall, HT I could just try the bigger version but loved everything about it. All fine binoculars.

These are my favs, I buy one the next weeks when I have more time to use them. Shop says in worst case I can swap them out for other model after a week or so. Just in case RB killes me or whatever can go wrong.

The 2012/2015 Trinovid is out, the Leica Store won't go below 980 Euros and they are not worth it to me. Ease of view is medium at the most, the thumb rests are a bit akward and the barrels tend to push my fingers at ideal IPD. They are build like a dream and look just stunning though !!!

After all I'd like to have the Noctivid colours in a SF housing :)

Keep you updated folks and thanks for all the help and input !

Cheers Max

Hi Max

Difficult choice to make. You are right about Noctivid colours but SF has huge field of view as well as better handling. HT has great handling too and has terrific bright transparancy and Conquest is great value too. If you like watching butterflies and dragonflies you could do worse than get a Conquest 42 for birding and Conquest 8x32 for butterfly and dragonfly habitats and all for less than an SF!

Would you kindly do me a favour? Where is the best place for birding on Ammersee just west of Munich??

Tschuss Lee

Hi Lee,

I am new to birding so no glue what Ammersee hotspot is good. All I can tell you is there are more lakes that are worth a trip. Chiemsee is where I live (70 km from Munich), Walchensee ... One of the best birding lakes orround here should be Neusiedler See National Park in Austria. Almost every TV Show I came across showed birds and birders there. It is in Austria though ... And have a look at the Mountains, Munich is next to the Alps, always worth a trip !

Hi Max

Difficult choice to make. You are right about Noctivid colours but SF has huge field of view as well as better handling. HT has great handling too and has terrific bright transparancy and Conquest is great value too. If you like watching butterflies and dragonflies you could do worse than get a Conquest 42 for birding and Conquest 8x32 for butterfly and dragonfly habitats and all for less than an SF!

Would you kindly do me a favour? Where is the best place for birding on Ammersee just west of Munich??

Tschuss Lee

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back