• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optolyth 30x75 servicing (1 Viewer)

PJL123456

I just inherited this scope from my father who was a keen bird watcher. It rattles although it is still possible to focus the image. If you look down the wrong end there is also a water streak running across one of the internal lenses. It is not going to be economic to professionally repair so I would like to have a go. Anybody know how to strip it down? It has a rubber cover which I assume needs to be removed first starting at the wide end? I am guessing that there is a good chance the rubber cover will split given the age of the thing?

Any advice appreciated or a service manual even better. Thanks Peter

Hi and welcome.
If you don't want to try to strip it down yourself, I would think East Coast binocular repair might service it.

I have a similar Mirador, luckily in good condition.

An objective can rattle if a contact doublet.

Peter

You have have inherited a fine scope - I had one as my first scope years ago when I started out birding.

I basically stripped it down to clean it so I can hopefully help you though I no longer have it. (Another story).

I would start with gaining access to the prism inside. To do this locate the very small flat screw near the top plate at the eyepiece end on the metal scope barrel. You will need a watchmakers screwdriver to undo it, make sure you don't lose it as it is tiny.

Once done the top plate can be unscrewed from the metal barrel(of the body of the scope), and you will see the prism assembly and how it is fixed in place. The prism can assembly can be unscrewed (you will see), and cleaned as necessary and carefully put back in the same place.

I would see how you get on with that before going any further.

Good luck, I'll try and help further if you need it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back