• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travelling with expensive cameras and lenses? (1 Viewer)

49bentley

Canada
With air lines slowly restricting destinations where cameras, lenses and laptops can be brought on board as carry on luggage, how does/will someone get his/her expensive cameras, lenses and laptops to a destination safely and in tack?
Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris,

I travel often with Nikon D 300S + Nikkor 70-200/ 2.8 und sometimes also Macro 60/2.8 and lens 15 - 80/ 5.6.
Also I carry Carl Zeiss Bino 8x32 and Svarowski Scope HD 80 + Gitzo tripod.
For hand luggage I use backpack Mammut Extreme Light.

I had never problem with hand luggage in airlines yet.
I made flights with
Air Berlin to Madeira, which is an cheap airline.
Austrian Airlines to Bangkok.
Lufthansa to Dublin, Bastia, Larnarca, Sao Paulo, Santiago de Chile and Buenes Aires.
Aegan Airlines to Thessaloniki, which is rather cheap airline.

In every case I would not fly with Air France, because it is not known if you will arrive destination and also not Iberia, because package was stolen in past.
Also British Airways is not reliable.

Better spend some more money and enjoy the vacation time.

Best regards
Dieter

With air lines slowly restricting destinations where cameras, lenses and laptops can be brought on board as carry on luggage, how does/will someone get his/her expensive cameras, lenses and laptops to a destination safely and in tack?
Thanks
Chris

examples?
Bar some countries that seem to ban everything optical (Jordan, Egypt) or some countries that put binoculars and scope under very strict scrutinization (Israel), I have never heard of any airliner not willing to allow optics in carry-on. Even 500mm lenses.

I have posted this exact same question in the photography section.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=343437

There is talk that a laptop ban will be extended to Europe and will also include larger items, bigger than than phones and small pocket cameras. It will soon become a real issue I think for those that carry cameras.

There will have to be moves for airlines to accept responsibility for such items which unless you fly first class, they currently don't. Personal insurance will also have to change to cover these items in the event that they go in to the hold, it currently doesn't, well at least mine doesn't.

Andy

Last edited:
examples?
Bar some countries that seem to ban everything optical (Jordan, Egypt) or some countries that put binoculars and scope under very strict scrutinization (Israel), I have never heard of any airliner not willing to allow optics in carry-on. Even 500mm lenses.

I have travelled to Egypt and Israel with lots of camera gear + scope + bins with no problem at all. The former was a while ago but the latter is very used to birders.

I understand that there were real issues with big lenses in Cuba until recently?

The current issue with laptop / camera bans will have to be addressed when it happens but many will just avoid the US, this will also include flights that transit the US of course.

A

In German newspapers I red, some airports in Britain and US, wants to forbid laptop and similar electronic device in the had luggage.
Even laptop in cargo room can be much more dangerous.

US wants to forbid laptops in flights from Jordan, Egypt, Saudi-Arabia, Kuwait, Morocco, Katar, Turkey and Emirats.

Germany do not follow this rules.

This information is form 21. March 2017.

I can'r find any information about Cuba.
Best way ask consulat of Cuba.

The problem is at immigration when you arrive, there have been instances I believe where long lenses were not permitted in to the country?

I think I read it in Birdforum somewhere?

A

Lap top ban and relevance to optics

I think people are getting their heads around the lap top ban but am not sure about connecting flights. I am entirely unsure how this extends to cameras. As a camera is larger than an IPhone, presumably this is (will be) treated the same of the affected routes? As for lenses, I'm not sure - no active electronics but then is this just about the ability to hide explosives within the casing?

cheers, alan

Lap top ban and relevance to optics

I think people are getting their heads around the lap top ban but am not sure about connecting flights. I am entirely unsure how this extends to cameras. As a camera is larger than an IPhone, presumably this is (will be) treated the same of the affected routes? As for lenses, I'm not sure - no active electronics but then is this just about the ability to hide explosives within the casing?

cheers, alan

As I said before, a major issue for many, is that no one is yet willing to take responsibility for the safety of expensive equipment placed in the hold.

Airlines won't cover it and neither will insurers and I know from personal experience, the light fingered nature of baggage handlers in some places.

Maybe one way would be to have a system in place, especially for high value items which keeps them out of bounds to most baggage staff?

A

No problems when I went to Cuba last year. The man on the X-ray machine on arrival just beamed a big smile at me and exclaimed "Ah,birdwatching!" when he saw my 600mm f4.

Key question is whether a lens is considered an electronic item - not the end of the world to put the camera body well-padded in checked baggage, but would want to do the same with the lens, especially given the gentle handling typical of the average neanderthal baggage handler.

Is there a definitive answer anywhere whether camera lens are included in the ban/prospective ban?

Key question is whether a lens is considered an electronic item - not the end of the world to put the camera body well-padded in checked baggage, but would want to do the same with the lens, especially given the gentle handling typical of the average neanderthal baggage handler.

Is there a definitive answer anywhere whether camera lens are included in the ban/prospective ban?

It's items that are bigger than Iphones and with batteries AFAIK so a lens would presumably be exempt.

One way round it may be to allow cameras on board, minus the batteries?

Security experts warn that lithium batteries in the hold of an aircraft could pose an even bigger danger.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-...might-extend-the-onboard-laptop-ban-worldwide

As I have said before, someone has to take the responsibility of insuring such high value items if they are forced in to the hold.

A

Last edited:
A bit of info re insurance towards in this article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39336518

A

The UK hasn't implemented the bans quoted Andy. If you look at Emirates for example the ban only applies to the US and not any other routes it flies.

As far as transporting "fragile" items in the hold such as a lens, if you think about it when you buy one online (and often from abroad} it probably gets thrown about a fair bit but if it's well packed in polystyrene etc it shouldn't come to any harm. I guess the volume it might take up to securely pack it might be the biggest issue other than the possibility of theft but nowadays that doesn't seem to be reported as happening anymore.Possibly because airport security for all employees has been stepped up too.

The UK hasn't implemented the bans quoted Andy. If you look at Emirates for example the ban only applies to the US and not any other routes it flies.

As far as transporting "fragile" items in the hold such as a lens, if you think about it when you buy one online (and often from abroad} it probably gets thrown about a fair bit but if it's well packed in polystyrene etc it shouldn't come to any harm. I guess the volume it might take up to securely pack it might be the biggest issue other than the possibility of theft but nowadays that doesn't seem to be reported as happening anymore.Possibly because airport security for all employees has been stepped up too.

I know the ban isn't in force yet Dave but it's coming.

Lenses etc when purchased and packed are insured, in an aircraft hold they're not.

Personally speaking I have lost items to baggage handlers and not long ago.

I personally will not travel to the US if this comes in, we won't risk £10K to the hold. Even if you can get insured, if our kit is lost or damaged, the type of holiday we do would be ruined.

A

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back