• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advise needed on Leica compact binoculars! (1 Viewer)

Thanks for coming back here and letting us know of your decision. I would bet dollars (we're here in the US) to donuts that you will love them, as they perform quite well and have such a high level of build quality.

Congrats on your Leica 8x20. It's still the best 8x20 I've ever used. I own both the Ultravid 8x20 and CL 8x25... along with the 8x20 and 10x25 Nikon LX's. The Nikon 8x20 doesn't get used much these days but the other three all fit into their own roll.

For long hikes or climbing mountains, the Ultravid is perfect. For shorter hikes and training climbs I use the CL's as they really do have the most comfortable view of all my compacts. The 10x25 LX is nice a sharp and a great addition to an 8x32 for when I need just a bit more resolution, in which case I typically rest against something in order to cut down on the shakes.

If I could only own one, it would probably be the CL because it's Jack of all trades. It has a decent FOV, isn't picky about eye placement, a super smooth focus and is brighter than my other compacts, which isn't a surprise.

To add to the discussion, I love my little Ultravid 8x20 too! So cute and so useful! I've been looking at the 2 newest premium compacts (the Kowa Genesis 8x22 and the Zeiss Victory 8X25) though, mainly for the considerably wider field of view. Last week I actually ordered the Kowa 8x22 but much to my dismay Eagle Optics shipped me the wrong model (10x22). The construction on the Kowa 10x22 was a step above the little Ultravids - the little Kowas are built like a tank! Comparing the Kowa 10x22 to the Ultravids I found them just a notch below the Leicas (unsurprising given the smaller exit pupil). But the field of view and the 10x made me return them, and they also didn't seem as sharp as the Ultravids edge to edge. I have not re-ordered the Kowa 8x22 and now deciding again between it and Zeiss' Victory. I am most interested in seeing how small the Zeiss are when in their case. I can't stand when a compact is given a huge case to go in -- it defeats the purpose of being a compact!

Hi Manish, Common Raven, and others,

Right now I (personally) want a comparison between the Ultravid 8x20 and new Victory 8x25 than between any other two binoculars, so please post (in this thread or elsewhere) any info from experience, even the briefest - thank you! There is nothing yet (that I can find) on the Victory 8x25 (or indeed 10x25) anywhere.

Common Raven, one can avoid case issues by simply slipping that binocular into a pants pocket. I do this with the Ultravid 10x25 which is the identical size - 20 grams lighter though. If there is nothing else in the pocket it can go in even without lens caps, objective side down. Nothing happens to the lens surface except maybe a bit of lint gets on it which can be simply blown off.

Hi Manish, Common Raven, and others,

Common Raven, one can avoid case issues by simply slipping that binocular into a pants pocket. I do this with the Ultravid 10x25 which is the identical size - 20 grams lighter though. If there is nothing else in the pocket it can go in even without lens caps, objective side down. Nothing happens to the lens surface except maybe a bit of lint gets on it which can be simply blown off.

Adhoc, this is one option, you're right. Although I like to carry binoculars in my everyday carry bag, around town, school, on the bus, etc., and this is why I need them to be compact but still in a case. The Victorys appear to fold small, but if I'm not mistaken from initial looks at the accessories, come in a big case. We'll see. :)

Common Raven: I see, why you need a case. For those who don't, and can dedicate one pants pocket just for the binocular: if it is slipped in without any folding down, the inter-pupil distance is retained, so it can be used that much quicker and easier, the hinges wear that much less, and also it sits there flatter. (This assumes the hinges are not loose).

Adhoc, this is one option, you're right. Although I like to carry binoculars in my everyday carry bag, around town, school, on the bus, etc., and this is why I need them to be compact but still in a case. The Victorys appear to fold small, but if I'm not mistaken from initial looks at the accessories, come in a big case. We'll see. :)

It is potentially bad longer term, but I've carried my 8x20 Monovid in my pocket for about a decade now, rattling around with pocket change and a Swiss Army knife. Thus far, no damage, optical surfaces still pristine. I don't think a case is needed either if you want to carry your Ultravids in a purse.

The soft read leather slipcase that was included with the Ultravid 8x20BL I bought my cousin were ideal for keeping them in a bag. Protecting against scratches but not as bulky as the regular hard case. A little too feminine perhaps. You should reach out to Leica and see if they sell it as a spare part.

If the need is for a compact case, there are lots available in camera shops.
Although designed for small cameras, they work just fine for binoculars as well.
Even better, they are affordable, around 10 bucks.

If the need is for a compact case, there are lots available in camera shops.
Although designed for small cameras, they work just fine for binoculars as well.
Even better, they are affordable, around 10 bucks.

The Ultravid 8x20 BR is a very competent pair of binoculars, and is bound to give many years of very enjoyable service, particularly in situations where weight and size matter. However, when pressed hard, I have found its supplied cordura case, size and fit wise, inappropriate. With some patience on eBay, you likely find the leather case for the older Leica Trinovid most appropriate fit and function wise. It offers excellent protection for the binoculars that stays in my bag all the time. A good picture for this case is in the middle of the page in this link: http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/trinovid/8x20-bca.htm . Enjoy in good health.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back