• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice/value for 1924 6x24 Binospo (1 Viewer)

fstop

Can anyone give a rough estimate of value for Leitz Wetzlar Binospo 6x24 binoculars? I think market value is in the $80-100 range, but can't find others to compare, other than military later models. Leica tells me they were delivered in 1924; they are not military; are in the original case, mechanically and optically no issues, other than a bit tight; a bit of scuffing on the leather and black paint. It impresses me to find something like this that's nearly a century old, yet is still usable. Many thanks in advance for any help!

fstop, post 1,
Leitz made different 6x24 porro's:
- one model (Binoli, Binospo between 1914 and 1926
- the other one (Binol, Binolit) between 1927 and 1939.
The price now may be affected by the model you have and the condition the binocular is in now..
Gijs van Ginkel

Bedankt, Gijs! Leica says it's a Binospo that was delivered 1924. Other than a bit of black paint gone to brass, and surface scuffing on some leather, it's in great shape. Do you agree that one in good condition w/case (but no strap) would be roughly $80-$100?

Hello fstop,

Please post some photos of the binocular. There might be someone on the Forum interested in it.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Thanks for the heads-up, Arthur! I didn't include pictures since this isn't the sales thread and I was only trying to determine relative value. Another question comes to mind though: It would be easy enough to apply some quality leather dressing to the scuffed portion of the leather, but due to its age, I think it might be best to leave it in an original state -any thoughts on this? I have it in Europe and will place it in the "For Sale" part of BF. Attached are a few quick snaps for the sake of identification.

Richard

Attachments

• binoculars-1.jpg
    binoculars-1.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 114
  • binoculars-2.jpg
    binoculars-2.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 92
  • binoculars-3.jpg
    binoculars-3.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 110
  • binoculars-4.jpg
    binoculars-4.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 98
nice looking early Leitz.....I have a monocular from the same era [my avatar].....let us know if you decide to sell.....

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back