• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Seed but No Birds? (1 Viewer)

Hi, I just bought a wooden bird feeder. My dad filled it with some kind of expensive bird seed (dark blackish pellets) and I havent seen a single bird eat it yet, why wont they eat it?

It's obvious that the bird seed just dosent interest the types of birds that are present around my house. So I will try adding another feeder with just standard regular seed and see what happens.

I wonder if I place a feeder with regular seed beside the more expensive seed to see if the birds will notice the expensive seed and perhaps try it out, but probly not.

There's no guarantee that you will get birds in your garden but you sometimes have to wait a while to see the benefits. You don't say how long the feeders have been out but it normally takes time for the birds to notice the feeders and build up confidence before using them.

Hi,
Often it will take birds several days (or even) weeks to firstly locate and secondly trust birdfeeders. I am sure it will be used soon. However, have you placed it near shrubs where they can take the food to eat. Most birds like to take away the food (siskins, coal tits in UK). They need a hiding place from hawks etc.
It maybe that all your local birds are presently breeding and so feeding their young with insects etc and therefore not using the feeder.
Also: are there cats or other predators that could be scaring the birds? Local hawk perhaps? Is the feeder high enough off the ground (about 1.5metres minimum?)
I am sure if these matters are addressed, if that is, they need to be, then the birds will soon be flocking to your feeders. Remember to keep it stocked as some birds will come to rely upon it.
Good luck,
Jono
Attached a poor photo from my back door of a great spotted woodpecker on my feeder. Took over a year for this bird to arrive. Now a regular

Attachments

• DSC_03720248.JPG
    DSC_03720248.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Try sunflower hearts, they are a good source of energy and they can be eaten by almost all types of bird.

You're an hour and half east of where I am. Lots of birds are coming to my feeders now, although it was slow for a while when they were feeding young. Now the young finches and woodpeckers are coming to the feeders with their parents. If by blackish pellets you mean black oil sunflower, they will attract chickadees, house finches, purple finch, goldfinch, rose-breasted grosbeak, cardinal, hairy and downy woodpeckers, white-breasted nuthatches, mourning doves, bluejays, and of course, house sparrows, starlings, and grackles......lots and lots of grackles.

There are some good pointers above. Don't leave it too far out in the open, but also don't put it right in next to bushes where the cats will ambush the birds on the ground. If you are in town you won't get as much activity, but even in new subdivisions you will eventually get a few birds. Be patient.

Scott

Right patience is a virtue, also don't get frustrated, I hate to say this but winter will be here sooner then you think. Then you will have more birds then you will have time to look at. I find peanuts work well too for Woodpeckers, titmice, chickadees, nuthatches, and wrens among other things.

Don't get disheartened. I've had my table up over a year and I've only ever had Wood Pigeons, Collared and Starlings (the very occasional blackbird or magpie).

And it took a while for these guys to come. The Starlings especially love fatballs, they don't touch the seeds at all.

Nige

Can't say too many times the importance of a water source. Water will attract when foods don't. Be patient, it took weeks for bird to come to my feeders; now I get new species all the time! My latest ( last few days) are Pygmy Nuthatches! They are all over the area but took almost 3 years before they came here. I have found that sunflower chips ( hearts) are the favorite of all the birds who come here. My goldfinches prefer it to Niger even. Peanuts in shell also a fave. But even if the feeders are empty, they ALL come for water. Look forward to your first photo posts! And make sure everything is Unsalted!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back