• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk or Levant Sparrowhawk? - Romania (1 Viewer)

Cristian Mihai

Cristian Mihai
Plese help me to solve the dilemma...

Attachments

• P9026979m.jpg
    P9026979m.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 167
  • P9026980m.jpg
    P9026980m.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 176
  • P9026983m.jpg
    P9026983m.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 155
  • P9026984m.jpg
    P9026984m.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 239
Levant sprawk - the last pic shows the throat streak really well. I'd say moulting adult female?

Ken

I've never seen Levant Sparrowhawk but I've seen thousands of Sparrowhawks. Looking at the thumbnails I was struck by how pointed the wings of these birds appear when compared to Sparrowhawk.

I've never seen Levant Sparrowhawk but I've seen thousands of Sparrowhawks. Looking at the thumbnails I was struck by how pointed the wings of these birds appear when compared to Sparrowhawk.

That was also remarked upon in a previous thread in this forum. One reason is that the number of free primaries (fingers) is supposed to be 4 while Eur Sparrowhawk has 5-6. In the previous thread it was remarked upon how similar the flight profile could be to common kestrel.

Niels

careful with moulting primaries at this time of year, niels, like seen in this adult female. but despite moult - even a moulting sparrowhawk with only 3 grown "fingers" has much blunter tipped wings when soaring. i actually have mistaken levant sparrowhawk for a falcon species when i didn't know it as well as i do now. nice shots, cristian.

Lou, I agree, and I also noticed that one primary in each side is growing on the bird we look at here.

Cheers
Niels

actually I'v always found the blakish tips of wings very telling first thing that was striking me in Levants...but true quite falcon looking as well

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back