• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Planning to go to Eglinton - Rutland Water first thing tomorrow. (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Planning to go to Egleton - Rutland Water first thing tomorrow.

Hi there

OH and I are planning a visit to Egleton - Rutland Water first thing tomorrow morning as we know it is a large area to investigate - and could take best part of a day

We have had breakfast there as part of our Rutland Belle trip in August time, and we said that we wanted to go there - and now it is coming true

Cannot wait, and I hope the weather remains as it is now - bright and sunny.

Wonder if there is some interesting 'bird' sightings coming our way.

Any hints and tips appreciated

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Hi Kathy

I hope you enjoy your day at Egleton (not Eglington!). If you look at the LROS website www.lros.org.uk tonight you will see the main sightings for today. There were the first three Garganey of the year on lagoon 3 this morning.

Yesterday I saw a total of 84 species around Rutland Water, but not all on the Egleton reserve. Some of the scarcer birds are in the north arm, such as Slavonian Grebe and 3 Long-tailed Ducks. Maybe you could have a look there before or after your visit to Egleton.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Kathy

I hope you enjoy your day at Egleton (not Eglington!). If you look at the LROS website www.lros.org.uk tonight you will see the main sightings for today. There were the first three Garganey of the year on lagoon 3 this morning.

Yesterday I saw a total of 84 species around Rutland Water, but not all on the Egleton reserve. Some of the scarcer birds are in the north arm, such as Slavonian Grebe and 3 Long-tailed Ducks. Maybe you could have a look there before or after your visit to Egleton.

Cheers
Steve

Thank you Steve

Will make the best of the day, and the sightings. Never seen a S. Grebe yet (seen Long tailed ducks in Spain)

Will report back with a bird report of the day as laspsed a little, and need to back into the flow once more of writing bird reports. :t::t::t::t::t::t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Hi there

Had a fabulous day today, and heard that one of the Ospreys 03 has returned to Rutland during the day while we where at Egleton - so it is good news.

Our bird of the day was the 'Garganey' and that was a great find. Last time I saw one for a few years back at Marston Vale close to where we live in Bedford

Will sort out the photos, and write my report asap while things are fresh in my mind.

Regards
Kathy
x

These are some of the photos that we took of the 'Garganey'

The bird was quite far away, but the eye stripe gives it away Kx

1. Garganey, Teal, and Canadian Goose
2. Garganey, Teal, and Gadwall
3. Garganey
4. Garganey, and Teal
5. Garganey, and Wigeon

Regards
Kathy
x

Attachments

• 366.JPG
    366.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 367.JPG
    367.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 416.JPG
    416.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 428.JPG
    428.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 493.JPG
    493.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back