• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

curious about file size... (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've been reading a few reviews of the 40D in the last week (a dangerous think to do) and have noticed that the expected size of a RAW file is ~12mb. I was wondering if this is about right? I use a 400D which in is also a 10.1MP camera but the average RAW files from that are more like 9mb. If the 40D really does have much bigger files does anyone know why?

Actually Peter, some of my 40D RAW files are more than 12mb - certainly 12mb files are common enough.

Dunno why..!

;)

What I find more interesting/confusing is the size of sRAW files - they're miles bigger than you'd expect, with 6, 7, and even 8mb files.

Incidentally, if you're trying to avoid 40D temptation, don't read the Practical Photography review: 5 stars out of 5 for everything - handling, features, performance, image quality and value for money - and logically enough, an overall 5 out 5 as well.

Hard to see how a camera could be better, really.

So yeah, don't read it..!

;) ;) ;)

Last edited:
Incidentally, if you're trying to avoid 40D temptation, don't read the Practical Photography review: 5 stars out of 5 for everything - handling, features, performance, image quality and value for money - and logically enough, an overall 5 out 5 as well.

To late for that Keith... to be honest I've already given in to temptation and had my new toy in hand when I asked the question yesterday (I just hadn't had time to test it).

As for the camera... it feels great in the hand (a real step up for me), controls are easy enough to get the hang of, 6.5fps is great. Took it out today to give it a proper test, a real joy to use... however when I got home I was a bit disapointed with the results on the screen, made me very suspicious so I did some tests and sure enough it's front focusing to a noticeable degree. I got straight on to the retailer I got it from who offered to repair of refund! I have suggested that as I'd had it less than a day they should be replacing it... they don't agree, we'll continue discussions tomorrow.

To late for that Keith... to be honest I've already given in to temptation and had my new toy in hand when I asked the question yesterday (I just hadn't had time to test it).

As for the camera... it feels great in the hand (a real step up for me), controls are easy enough to get the hang of, 6.5fps is great. Took it out today to give it a proper test, a real joy to use... however when I got home I was a bit disapointed with the results on the screen, made me very suspicious so I did some tests and sure enough it's front focusing to a noticeable degree. I got straight on to the retailer I got it from who offered to repair of refund! I have suggested that as I'd had it less than a day they should be replacing it... they don't agree, we'll continue discussions tomorrow.

they DONT agree
Well thats not on at all Why on earth should you have to be the one with a problem -it should be them not you .
Rob.

however when I got home I was a bit disapointed with the results on the screen, made me very suspicious so I did some tests and sure enough it's front focusing to a noticeable degree. I got straight on to the retailer I got it from who offered to repair of refund!

All sorted now... took the camera back and they agreed that it was front focusing. I tried another one in the shop which seems fine (I'll no for sure once I've tested in on some birds), so they swapped it over. Now I'm just waiting for the battery to charge up...

just played with mine for the first time today properly. I am a complete novice. Any tips?? I have my 100-400 lens now and was practicing although the light was terrible.

Last edited:

Hard to see how a camera could be better, really.

;) ;) ;)
Just read the review Keith and I notice that they say " If you have got a 30D Its going to be hard to justify upgrading" and concludes with "it is still not that much different from the 30D" Must say I was a little surprised with this after all the hype.

Aye,

that part of the review is just bloody silly: it's a from the ground up redesign, and about the only things the 30D and 40D have in common are the lens mount, the colour and the Canon logo!

;)

Aye,

that part of the review is just bloody silly: it's a from the ground up redesign, and about the only things the 30D and 40D have in common are the lens mount, the colour and the Canon logo!

;)
Thanks for that Keith - I was seriously looking to get one but from the comments in the review I had second thoughts as to whether it was worth it coming from the 30D.

hi Roy,

all I can tell you is that since I got my 40D, my 30Ds have just been gathering dust, even though I can use the TC with the 30Ds.

Honestly, everything about how the 40D does its stuff is an improvement on the 30D: some differences are subtle, some not so subtle: but plenty different enough to banish my 30Ds to a back-up role.

I simply have no interest in bringing 'em out any more - good as they are.

having come from a 400D I can see a number of big differences... I'll put together a comparisson when I've given the 40D a bit more use.

These bigger RAW files really do crunch through the memory cards, and make my PC work a bit harder. Just loaded up todays shots and the new camera seems to be working fine... just me to blame for the dodgy shots now!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back