• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Sea Thread (3 Viewers)

Oh! I thought you were all being evacuated Paul.

Stay safe then lad.

You’re going to miss that Ross’s gull!

I'll get it when it heads back the way. :t:

Oh! I thought you were all being evacuated

I think the press picked up on one or two of the less stable platforms being down-manned as a precaution. No problem on my platform, although the majority of workers were confined to the accommodation. Thanks for the concern though. :t:

Still pretty rough outside. I'm just back from rescuing a Herring Gull that managed to get itself stranded on a walkway. Every time it tried to take off, the wind would push it back down. A quick helping hand through the handrail saw it soaring off with its mates.

Conditions easing up a little, but it has gone much colder with snow showers blowing through. Another Glaucous Gull in at midday.

Attachments

• DSCF9903 RSZ.jpg
    DSCF9903 RSZ.jpg
    719.9 KB · Views: 47
Now four Glaucous together, in close to the platform with Herring Gull flock.

I've checked my records for the year, and including today's four birds, that makes thirty-nine White-winged Gull sightings. Twenty Glaucous and nineteen Iceland.

Previous NSBC records only show two or three sightings per year on average, but I believe they are probably being under reported because the interest in gulls will not be as high as the interest in migratory birds.

Orcas

Four Killer Whales seen under the platform last night. First time they have been seen here for a few years, and I've missed them again.

Last two for the year.

Heading home in a few hours, but just time to report on a last couple of birds. Today, we have had our third Cormorant of the year and another tagged GBBG.

The GBBG was tagged as a chick in Pikkerholm, Hirsholmene, Nordjylland, Denmark on 22/7/16. It was next spotted in January 2017 on Fraserburgh Beach, then recorded 24 times this year in Fraserburgh Harbour, until the 14/09/17. Now it has turned up here.

Also seen yesterday was our semi resident Grey Seal. Good to know the Orcas didn't get him.

Attachments

• Corma RSZ.jpg
    Corma RSZ.jpg
    683.7 KB · Views: 45
  • GBBG JWZ44 RSZ.jpg
    GBBG JWZ44 RSZ.jpg
    867.3 KB · Views: 45

Firstly, a very happy new year to anyone following or visiting this thread.

The final list for 2017 can be seen on post #322. Fifty-four species is a pretty good total, however, a very poor autumn migration slowed things right down following an excellent springtime. Looking at 2016's final list, there are ten birds, mainly seen in the autumn, that did not feature in 2017, although the autumn of 2016 was exceptionally good. Owls and wildfowl made up the biggest gaps.

I arrived back onto the platform today, and before I was off the chopper, I had my first spot of the year. A Cormorant was flying about with the resident GBBGs that had been disturbed by the choppers approach. Cormorants are usually very scarce this far out, and by no means a cert for any year, so it is a good start.

In addition to the Cormorant and GBBGs, we also have Herring Gull and Kittiwake present.

2018 List Updated

1) Cormorant
2) Great Black-Backed Gull
3) Herring Gull
4) Kittiwake

First Fulmar of the year seen yesterday evening, but very quiet otherwise.

2018 List Updated

1) Cormorant
3) Herring Gull
4) Kittiwake
5) Fulmar

Glaucous

Glaucous Gull just in. Or at least I think it is a Glaucous. I don't usually see them at the shown angle, and indeed, it is the first one I've seen sat on the platform structure.

Even given the angle, the primaries look short, and the bird definitely gave a big and beefy feeling, so unless corrected, I'll list as our first Glaucous of the year.

Attachments

• DSCF9972 RSZ.jpg
    DSCF9972 RSZ.jpg
    832.8 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF9975 RSZ.jpg
    DSCF9975 RSZ.jpg
    781 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF9976 RSZ.jpg
    DSCF9976 RSZ.jpg
    785.2 KB · Views: 59
List updated with yesterday's Glauc, and also our first Gannet of the year.

Good numbers of Kittiwake present today. Fifteen; which is a record high for the platform, I think. I have noticed something about the Kittiwakes in recent months, and that is most of them are adults. In previous years, most have been juveniles with the clear "W" mark on the wings. Don't know why this should be?

2018 List Updated

1) Cormorant
3) Herring Gull
4) Kittiwake
5) Fulmar
6) Glaucous Gull
7) Gannet

Owl

Things have been pretty quiet for a few days, apart from one notable exception. On the fifth, we had a visit from an owl. I did not get to see the bird myself, but one of the observers had several close views of the bird, and has confirmed that it was a Short-Eared Owl. That is our default owl species, so no surprises there. Also, we had had a couple of days of easterlies to encourage it to make the hop over to Scotland.

Short-Eared Owl makes the list as the first species of this year that was not recorded during 2017. That is a good boost for January!

Now to find that Hawk Owl. :t:

2018 List Updated

1) Cormorant
3) Herring Gull
4) Kittiwake
5) Fulmar
6) Glaucous Gull
7) Gannet
8) Short-Eared Owl*

Last edited:
Spotted a Blackbird/Thrush type battling against the wind, on my way up to lunch. It never quite got close enough for a positive ID though.

A Glaucous was spotted on the 9th, although it looked like it could well have been the same bird seen on the 4th. Very quiet otherwise, with even the gull numbers plummeting.

From above the Arctic Circle

First tagged gull of the new year spotted today. This one was tagged as a chick, on the 24/06/11, in Ørndalen, Tromsø, Norway (north of the arctic circle). That is 1550 miles, roughly NE) from the platform. Looks like it has been in the wars going by what looks like a head wound, but the bird seemed healthy enough otherwise.

Attachments

• DSCF9998 RSZ.jpg
    DSCF9998 RSZ.jpg
    781.4 KB · Views: 71
And I'm back...

We have had had a few stormy days since I arrived on Wednesday, but today we had a little sunshine, and it brought with it our first Iceland Gull of the year.

Also present today were a few GBBGs, Herring Gulls, a single Gannet and nine plus Kittiwakes along with three Common Seals. It has been a slow start to the year, but Spring is on its way. :t:

2018 List Updated
1) Cormorant
3) Herring Gull
4) Kittiwake
5) Fulmar
6) Glaucous Gull
7) Gannet
8) Short-Eared Owl*
9) Iceland Gull

A couple of Icelanders present today. :t:

Spot the photo bomber.