• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuckoo species seen in the Cameron Highlands Malaysia (1 Viewer)

Gibbo 92

Hello,

Please can anyone advise on what species of Cuckoo this is? I think it is a Dark Hawk Cuckoo (bocki). I saw it on trail 4 just outside of Tanah Rata in the Cameron Highlands, Malaysia.

Thanks,

Chris.

Attachments

• P1160947 (2).jpg
    P1160947 (2).jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 70
  • P1160948 (2).jpg
    P1160948 (2).jpg
    194 KB · Views: 60
Yellow bill base + white tail spots = Cuculus. Given locality, presumably Sunda Cuckoo if it's a resident bird, though discounting Himalayan/Oriental won't be easy!

James

Yellow bill base + white tail spots = Cuculus.

Yes, quite right - I saw the spots at the tip of the tail but not on the rest of it, for some reason. Agree it's a Cuculus. I'm attaching a picture of Dark Hawk Cuckoo taken by a friend at Fraser's Hill for comparison.

When did you see it, Chris? According to HBW, Himalayan winters in Peninsular Malaysia. James, do you know when they arrive and when they leave? I can only say this bird doesn't appear to be a full adult, if that signifies anything.

Attachments

• 088A8127-001.JPG
    088A8127-001.JPG
    300.3 KB · Views: 49
Thanks again for looking at this one. Unfortunately, I only have those two pictures, it was just sat in a small tree in the middle of a kids playground. It took a caterpillar and then flew off. I saw this on the 11th December.

Also do you know if the Cameron Highlands has both Common and Eastern Buzzard? Not really sure about their current range.

Chris

Thanks again for looking at this one. Unfortunately, I only have those two pictures, it was just sat in a small tree in the middle of a kids playground. It took a caterpillar and then flew off. I saw this on the 11th December.

Also do you know if the Cameron Highlands has both Common and Eastern Buzzard? Not really sure about their current range.

Chris

Treating buzzard's by taxa is probably better than 'species', as I'm not really sure what an Eastern is. Thai-Malay Peninsular has recorded all four potential taxa I believe - vulpinus, refectus, burmancius, though I'm not sure if japonicus has been recorded in Malaysia itself, but has been found flying south in South Thailand.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back