• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (15 Viewers)

there has been a pair of honeys drifting around Stiffkey all summer, presumed to be nesting behind the fen. Can regularly be seen drifting over the wood on the hill in the middle of the village opposite the pub. Red Kite hasn't visited since last Friday though which is a shame but i've managed regular Hobbies along the River in the evenings

25 years ago, who would've thought Norfolk would become such an excellent county for raptors; 'x' pairs of Honeys, Monts returning, Hobby...

Kite or Osprey surely can't be too far behind... :t:

James

Hi all, there was a Wood Sandpiper on the freshmarsh at Titchwell RSPB this evening as well as 8 Spotted Redshanks. Sea-watching at Holme NOA was slow this pm despite the northerlies but an Arctic Tern flew west close inshore and other totals included 4 Arctic Skuas and 19 Gannets.

Cheers,

Connor

This morning 06:30 - 08:45

Tim

So this is where I'm going wrong!!

By the time I get out there everythings done and dusted:-O

Can anyone tell me if it's worth yomping across both Kelling and Salthouse heaths this time of year? ..never set foot on either site and wondering wether I should save it for a fortnight or so for possible warblers/shrikes/raptors etc?

Matt

Last edited:
Fairly good afternoon out today. 1 Wood Sandpiper, a Curlew Sandpiper and 4 Spotted Redshanks in the freshwater lagoon at Titchwell, followed by a Shag, 3 Little Gulls, 5 Arctic Skuas and 2 Manx Shearwaters flying past out to sea, albeit mostly quite far out, but nevertheless proving that you can be lazy and only haul your ar*e out of bed at 11 am and still get some good stuff. Went to Burnham Marshes after that. 1 eclipse drake Garganey, 3 Green Sandpipers, 2 Greenshank and a Common Sandpiper for my efforts. Sorry I never made it out your way on Saturday Tim. Bit of a sesh at Po Na Nas etc on Friday night and only got back about 4 am and only made as far as Rush Hill, Saturday lateish afternoon (and got naff all).

Last edited:
7 Arctic Skuas past Sea Palling / Waxham this evening.

fantastic rainstorm and an amazingly bright double rainbow

also saw 81 Little Gulls reported from the south of the county - an exceptional number for early August.

Last edited:
Coming back to Norfolk again in a few weeks but trying to fit in some of the less known sites, could anyone give me directions to the hide at Burnham Norton (or tell me there isn't one but I'm sure people have mentioned it). Is it the best place to view or just from the public footpath/seawall.
Also at Holme I've read in my book that you need a key for the hides which you can collect from the bird obs, 1) Where is the bird obs, 2) What areas are best and 3) What time are the hides opened. Thought Redwell Marsh might be good for an evening visit because it's supposed to be very good for Barn Owls.
Tom

Last edited:
An early morning walk with the mutt Saturday was quite rewarding with my first Garden Warbler of the year (|:$|) along with Blackcap, Lesser Whitethroat, several Common Whitethroats, including a newly fledged family party, 4 Chiffchaffs and a Willow Warbler all in the hedgerows in the south-east corner of the parish. Flyover Whimbrel and a couple of Golden Plover also noted, heard only. Later a flock of c.300 corvids, mostly Jacdaws, 'kettling' south-west of the house drew my attention to a Sparrowhawk and a Hobby; the latter at last added to the garden list.

Didn't get to look at the sea this weekend...

James

Last edited:
Coming back to Norfolk again in a few weeks but trying to fit in some of the less known sites, could anyone give me directions to the hide at Burnham Norton (or tell me there isn't one but I'm sure people have mentioned it). Is it the best place to view or just from the public footpath/seawall.

If there's a hide at Burnham Norton, that's news to me. The best bet is to view from the sea wall. Walk down the path from the car park to the sea wall, and when you reach it, turn right. There's a flood with some water in it, but drying up, viewable from the wall about 50-100 m down (quite good for waders). Worth doubling back on yourself and then walking for almost a mile west. Two pools worth checking, one fairly deep and good for ducks (garganey there today) about 300m along and the one a bit further, very good for waders (just the right water depth at the mo - 3 green sands on there today, see up thread). I've had spoonbill on there several times in the past and even Stilt Sandpiper! If you're really keen, you can walk for about another two miles towards Burnham deepdale marshes, which can be productive, but I haven't been there for ages.

Also at Holme I've read in my book that you need a key for the hides which you can collect from the bird obs, 1) Where is the bird obs, 2) What areas are best and 3) What time are the hides opened.

There are several hides at Holme - indeed there are two reserves there, both requiring seperare entry fees. The NWT reserve hides overlook some freshwater pools As far as I'm aware you don't need a key for these during reserve opening hours (7-5??). Ask at the big house, which is the NWT reserve HQ. They normally hit you for entry fees on the drive-up though, which technically you don't need to pay if your only visiting the other reserve. There's a sea-watching hide on the other reserve owned by the Norfolk Ornithologists Association (NOA). Haven't been there for ages, but don't recall needing the key. There are several hides over-looking patches of scrub - I can't remember whether these are NWT or NOA, the latter I think. Ask at the NOA HQ, which is in a hut, sign-posted just a bit beyond the NWT HQ.

Thought Redwell Marsh might be good for an evening visit because it's supposed to be very good for Barn Owls.
Tom

I don't know about Redwell Marsh, but Barn Owls are fairly common in Norfolk. If you pm me and can vouch your credentials, I can give you directions for a place you can view a nesting/roosting barn without disturbing the birds

Last edited:
Sea Palling this morning 7:45 - 9.15
3 Arctic Skuas
2 Ruff (village tick!)

and the usual terns, Gannets and Kittiwakes etc

edit: 802 Common Terns reported past Eccles ths morning - an exceptional number without northerly winds and almost unprecedented with northerly winds. Coupled with last night's Little Gull movement, all rather unusual. Can't find reference to anything similar at this time of year.

Tim

Last edited:
Thanks for the excellent reply Ilya. With the Barn Owls I have seen them in a couple of places in Norfolk but read that Redwell Marsh is the very best place, which is why I said that specifically.

Terns etc

Sea Palling this morning 7:45 - 9.15
3 Arctic Skuas
2 Ruff (village tick!)

and the usual terns, Gannets and Kittiwakes etc

edit: 802 Common Terns reported past Eccles ths morning - an exceptional number without northerly winds and almost unprecedented with northerly winds. Coupled with last night's Little Gull movement, all rather unusual. Can't find reference to anything similar at this time of year.

Tim

Hi Tim,

I also had good numbers of Terns off Holme, in the last couple of weeks not so many as you had. But I think the Sandwich & Common Tern numbers is related to many failed breeders after the sh$%e weather many adults are on the move together early, how many juvs have you seen?? Not many I suspect.

I went to the watchpoint Saturday and had the usual stuff, without HB but somebody had had two earlier.

What was good, at Buxton Heath yesterday 30+ Keeled Skimmer this probably surpasses Holt low numbers!!

Waders now coming thru in good numbers 19 Spot Shank at Titch, & Wood Sand there yesterday. Got some nice shots of Avocet Friday evening - take a peek at http://norfolkbirding.com/latestpics_8.html

ATB Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back