• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Info on EOS 20D prices (1 Viewer)

I remember the long tele prices well,even in the mid 80's i couldnt afford anything over 300mm,i made do with a 200 and 2*convertor,most unsatisfactory.So i'll wait a while and enjoy the cut price prime lens prices of quality used 35mm equipment,and suffer the development costs and hassle of scanning to pc(which i've yet to try,truth be told).
Have any off you put transparency's onto your pc's?I have 20 yrs worth of colour negs and transparency images,some of which may be worthy of wider attention.At the very least i could use my own images as avatars,,using someone elses isnt quite the same!

Tinca said:
I remember the long tele prices well,even in the mid 80's i couldnt afford anything over 300mm,i made do with a 200 and 2*convertor,most unsatisfactory.So i'll wait a while and enjoy the cut price prime lens prices of quality used 35mm equipment,and suffer the development costs and hassle of scanning to pc(which i've yet to try,truth be told).
Have any off you put transparency's onto your pc's?I have 20 yrs worth of colour negs and transparency images,some of which may be worthy of wider attention.At the very least i could use my own images as avatars,,using someone elses isnt quite the same!

That 400mm Olympus lens that I would have liked never did comply with the vcr syndrome. OK, it was never going to be a huge seller but the final price at Jessops was, I think, a penny short of £3000!

Scanning slides and negs is fine - depending on your boredom threshold! It can be quite time-consuming, sorting out the slide/neg, cleaning it, pre-scanning and adjusting it for scanning, cropping and everything else you need to do in Photoshop and, although you've now got something to put on the internet, in effect all you've got is the same photo that you've already got, anyway!

Adey Baker said:
That 400mm Olympus lens that I would have liked never did comply with the vcr syndrome. OK, it was never going to be a huge seller but the final price at Jessops was, I think, a penny short of £3000!

Scanning slides and negs is fine - depending on your boredom threshold! It can be quite time-consuming, sorting out the slide/neg, cleaning it, pre-scanning and adjusting it for scanning, cropping and everything else you need to do in Photoshop and, although you've now got something to put on the internet, in effect all you've got is the same photo that you've already got, anyway!

Good point,might be bored enough one day to try,plenty of time at present but hate wrestling with techie things at the best of times.Many thanks for advice,much appreciated :t:

Neil Grubb said:
I checked out EOS 20D prices today, thinking about replacing my 300D for a camera with better build, higher frame rate, better metering, pic quality etc. Warehouse Express, from whom I have previously bought all of my kit, charge £899 body only and £965 with the 18-55mm lens. This price seems pretty good although on Kelkoo some other internet retailers can go a few quid cheaper. 7dayshop.com no longer seem to do Canon DSLRs.

Interestingly I phoned Jessops in Edinburgh today and they were, near enough, able to price match Warehouse Express - they initially quoted £1045ish for the 20D with lens, and came down to £976 when I requested a price match. And they threw in a fair number of free 7x5 prints. All of the prices above do not include the £100 cash back from Canon.

20D prices seem to be gradually falling. No doubt it will be replaced (and the 5D doesn't seem to be its successor - see other threads) but the current prices seem excellent for such a good quality piece of kit. And if the pricing strategy adopted for the D20 continues with any successor, a direct replacement is likely to come in initially at £1250-£1400.

Hello Niel

Check this out www.dabs.com - I can't way their price up for the 20D it looks like a print error to me. Saw this in my October Digital Photo magazine.

Roy.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back