• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon AE1 (1 Viewer)

Goatnose

Inspired by IBW
Help Please, Birding this last weekend with CanonAE1 and a lens I purchase used , OSAwa 70 => 150 f3.8. Photos were out of focus, important photos. However low light conditions. I am thinking now that the f-stop button may need to be pushed in at mounting time and that I should use the outer ring to focus instead of the inter ring. Any old guys out there that remember the AE1? Any comments welcome. Thanks.

The Canon AE1 is a "Shutter Preferred" automatic camera, unless it is set for manual only. You will have to set your shutter speed high enough to allow it to hide any shaking caused by a hand held shot. Your zoom, at F3.5 is a bit slow, which will require a longer exposure. Try using faster film, like ASA 400. Also, earlier models of the AE1 used a "breechlock" in attaching the lens to the camera, later models used a bayonet mount. The method of attaching the lens is different and if not done properly could be the cause of your out of focus problem.

Hey, less of the 'old'!

The AE-1 has the unique FD breechlock lens fitting. There is no need to press any butons when attaching the lens - just line it up with the body and twist the breechlocking ring to secure. I am not familar with the lens you are using and if there is a technical problem this is where I would look first, but of course it could also be the body. It is hard to diagnose any problems on a forum like this, but a trip to your local photo store should reveal any faults within a few seconds.

Or as ceasar suggests, maybe your picture-taking technique needs improving. Birding tends to demand long lenses (300mm at least) fast shutter speeds and fast film. If you're serious about this aspect of your photography, you will find that moving to a digital-SLR camera like a Canon 350D set to ISO 800, plus a long lens equipped with IS (Image Stabilisation) technology (how about the new 70-300mm IS?) will open up a whole new world of birding photography for you.

Sorry, good birding photos usually require costly equipment, unless you can get really close, like in a hide.

Good luck,

Richard.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back