• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

On The Hoof - Fieldwork From Orkney (1 Viewer)

timwootton

The theme for this thread will be fieldwork - everything posted has and will be observations made from life.
Currently we still have at least one foot firmly entrenched in winter, which means lots of geese and not a huge amount else, but a red-throated diver flew calling over the cottage yesterday and a Sanwich tern was spotted among a gull flock too, so there's just the suggestion that spring may at some point condescend to make an appearance.
That means skuas and auks, with a bit of everything and anything else thrown in. Til then however, the diet is goose (ringed plovers, purple sands, blackbirds and rooks pop up from time to time). The big wide open-air is the place - that's where I'm going!

Attachments

• gl1.jpg
    gl1.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 138
  • gl2.jpg
    gl2.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 105
  • gl3.jpg
    gl3.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 96
  • bb1.jpg
    bb1.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 105
  • bb2.jpg
    bb2.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 100
. . .

Attachments

• gl4.jpg
    gl4.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 86
  • gl6.jpg
    gl6.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 85
  • gl8.jpg
    gl8.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 92
  • rp2.jpg
    rp2.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 85
  • gl5.jpg
    gl5.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 82
Superb as usual.

If the closing of the old thread means the start of a series of parallel themed Wootton threads like this one, I might write to my MP withdrawing my objection!

Really fantastic group of sketches, Tim! The simplicity with which you are able to portray the various postures and movement of the birds is always so amazing.

This is really what I aspire to! Quite masterful fieldwork. Looking at these, as well as quickly seeing the shortcomings in my own efforts there's something very inspirational about them. The deception is in the simplicity, but then for me that's the beauty...and the craft. I'm blown away.

Like I've said, Tim, don't forget about me if you're visiting this neck o' the woods!

Russ

This is really what I aspire to! Quite masterful fieldwork. Looking at these, as well as quickly seeing the shortcomings in my own efforts there's something very inspirational about them. The deception is in the simplicity, but then for me that's the beauty...and the craft. I'm blown away.

These have left me pretty much speechless for days. But finally I see that I can steal Russ's words and feel that they express my thoughts.

A very fitting way to start a new thread!

Cheers - Russ, I'll be in touch - soonish, I think.
Ta Joanne, ta All.
Martin - time spent on a drawing is a difficult thing to quantify; there's a lot of "looking time" involved - much more than "drawing time". I'd imagine in a session of, say, 40 minutes, I'd be looking most of the time, but drawing for five or ten minutes. Looking back at the sketchbook from which the above were extracted, 40 minutes equals 3-4 sheets of A4, 2-4 drawings/sketches/scribbles per sheet . . . probably 6-16 smallish sketches? No doubt some days it flows better than others - and some days it just doesn't flow at all :)

Hi Tim,
Just got myself a copy of 'Drawing and Painting Birds' and I'd like to join all the other folk on here in congratulating you on putting together a great piece of work. I could write loads and loads about it but I'll keep it simple and state that, for me, this surpasses John Busby's work as THE guide to portraying birds. This is not to do a disservice to the legendary JB; we forget how long this books been around! But it does it for me with the quality of the exemplified art work and and the more 'built for purpose' drawing tips, which I'll no doubt be refering to in the months to come!

Once again, great stuff.

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back