• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tree pipits or meadow pipits - late April in Scotland ? (1 Viewer)

Skylark12

Hello everyone,
I am new to this website, but hope some of you might be able to help.
A couple of weeks ago (around late April / beginning of May) I saw a huge flock of around 100 of what I am thinking might have been tree pipits. The habitat was mixed arable / rough pasture / woodland, and the birds were sitting in trees or on wires or flying. They looked like pipits to me, and at first I thought they were meadow pipits, but why are they still in such a big flock at this time of year ... I thought they were supposed to be breeding by now ?
Hope someone can help. I am doing a Volunteer Farmer Alliance Surevy and would love to know what these were.
Thanks !
Skylark12 x

Mipits would be more likely in a flock that large than Tree Pipits. I've never seen a flock of Tree Pipits larger than about 40 myself on breeding grounds in Britain and that was a post breeding flock of ads and juvs in July. If they were calling it'd help? Also Meadow Pipits sounds slightly better from the described habitat and happily perch in trees and on wires (both species do, Tree Pipits more prone to perching in larger tree canopies than Meadow Pipits though)

Jan

Thanks Jan, that's really helpful!!! Why would they be flocking in early May though ? I thought they would be breeding by then and only seen in pairs ? Thanks, Matilda

We're assuming they are pipits. Unless you're certain of that (you didn't seem to be), all bets are off. The flock size isn't a good sign.

Hmmmm, 95% certain they were pipits ! They were pipit size and shape, had pipit streaking, so I couldn't think what else they could be !! (but then I'm no expert). Any ideas of anything else they could be? Really appreciating this help as I'm a newbie and have only jsut stumbled acorss this brilliant website !

Yes flock seems odd but they were definitely a flock !!!! No they weren't YHs or CBs ... not the right physique !!! Thanks so much ..... I think I'll have to go for meadow pipits as the best guess ! Matilda x

Meadow Pipits in many areas have fledged their first brood by now, and in areas of high abundance (habitat as you described in many areas of Scotland certainly have that), it wouldn't be particularly unusual for a flock of Meadow Pipits this time of year. They're certainly as likely as anything with the size and plumage you describe. If you get a chance to look again see if you can get a look at the bill shape and listen to some calls and we can probably help you more with that :) Even if a bird has to be left unidentified (sometimes best if only for saving the satisfaction for when you see the bird properly for the first time), there's never any harm in asking questions because the information you hear back will come in handy in the field next time you're in that situation!

Jan

Thanks everyone! I'm going to the same farm next weekend so will keep a good look out for them. I have seen meadow pipits many many times before but was thrown by the flocking numbers ! You are all so helpful. Thanks ! Matilda xx

Depends where you are in Perthshire - if the farm is next to moorland/upland then they'll be meadow pipits - they can often come off moorland in the spring if the weather's duff like it has been for most of May in Scotland! - so it could equally be that birds have not even bred yet rather than have 1st broods.

cheers, Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back