• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Mystery at the Beach, still living (1 Viewer)

colleenc

Yesterday I saw this California gull with the group I was drawing, it was completely waterlogged except for the top of the back and head. It did not seem to be greatly injured, walked fine, and was alert and active. last shot is with a Western Gull....John aren't you proud of me, I'm learning, thanks to your prompting:t:

What could have caused this, I only see gulls on the beach, and have not really done deep observation of their ways except in this one spot. So any ideas?

thanks

Attachments

• bedraggled-gull_4095.gif
    bedraggled-gull_4095.gif
    138.4 KB · Views: 46
  • bedraggled-gull_4098.gif
    bedraggled-gull_4098.gif
    161.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Ca-gull-bedraggled_4026.gif
    Ca-gull-bedraggled_4026.gif
    278.9 KB · Views: 48
  • bedraggled-gull_4099.gif
    bedraggled-gull_4099.gif
    193.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Yesterday I saw this California gull with the group I was drawing, it was completely waterlogged except for the top of the back and head. It did not seem to be greatly injured, walked fine, and was alert and active. last shot is with a Western Gull....John aren't you proud of me, I'm learning, thanks to your prompting:t:

What could have caused this, I only see gulls on the beach, and have not really done deep observation of their ways except in this one spot. So any ideas?

thanks

Possibly feeding at sea on a carcass, which would account for the blood on the breast. Plumage is worn as it is before being wet..

Thanks Alan, I didn't quite get what you mean by this

and how long would it have to be in the water before it got so soaked, tail feathers were sort of shredded.

I'm thinking the two are sort of linked..the feathers are in such poor condition (worn, poorly maintained) that they get waterlogged and the blood stains them, instead of washing off like er water off a duck's back

I'm thinking the two are sort of linked..the feathers are in such poor condition (worn, poorly maintained) that they get waterlogged and the blood stains them, instead of washing off like er water off a duck's back
Yes, I'd agree with this assessment. Alternatively; if the feeding has been particularly . . . erm . . . active, and involving lots of birds, then the plumage can take a hammering too.

so you think the feathers were already in poor condition, then the bird was involved with a sort of feeding frenzy on some fish or seal that was in the water providing dinner for the group of scanvengers, and got waterlogged that way?

so you think the feathers were already in poor condition, then the bird was involved with a sort of feeding frenzy on some fish or seal that was in the water providing dinner for the group of scanvengers, and got waterlogged that way?

Hi Colleen,

Worn, damaged and shredded feathers are common in gulls. Large gulls have a full moult of the wing and tail feathers once a year, towards the end of the year the feathers are older and become gradually more abraded due to things like wear and tear, exposure to the sun, feeding in conditions where damage is more likely, such as dumps, carcasses, bins etc. Not sure about California Gull's moult strategy, when they moult that is...
Large gulls moult the body feathers twice a year, your bird looks fine in this area. With regard to worn feathers, they are more likely to get soaked, stained and soiled due to their bad condition. I would guess from the blood on the upper breast that this bird has been feeding on a corpse of some description on the sea, the result is your birds appearance. The bird is totally healthy of course and will look brand new after the upcoming moult...keep a close eye on your local birds and you will see moult progress;)

Have attached three photos of gulls in various worn plumage. Western Gull, Glaucous Gull and Herring Gull.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• western-gull.jpg
    western-gull.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Glaucous_Gull_20110615_Magee_3047_KK.jpg
    Glaucous_Gull_20110615_Magee_3047_KK.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 32
  • gulls-2.jpg
    gulls-2.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 30
Hi Colleen,

Worn, damaged and shredded feathers are common in gulls. Large gulls have a full moult of the wing and tail feathers once a year, towards the end of the year the feathers are older and become gradually more abraded due to things like wear and tear, exposure to the sun, feeding in conditions where damage is more likely, such as dumps, carcasses, bins etc. Not sure about California Gull's moult strategy, when they moult that is...
Large gulls moult the body feathers twice a year, your bird looks fine in this area. With regard to worn feathers, they are more likely to get soaked, stained and soiled due to their bad condition. I would guess from the blood on the upper breast that this bird has been feeding on a corpse of some description on the sea, the result is your birds appearance. The bird is totally healthy of course and will look brand new after the upcoming moult...keep a close eye on your local birds and you will see moult progress;)

Have attached three photos of gulls in various worn plumage. Western Gull, Glaucous Gull and Herring Gull.

Hope this helps.

This has been a great education in gulls and their molts, not that there isn't a whole lot more to learn I know. Still it's been fascinating reading.

Reckon it's just had an argument with a washing machine, someone forgot to press the 'delicates' button.

thanks so much Alan, and the others too.

I work alone and so you are my only source of information and I sure appreciate it. Being a "bird artist" I find I don't fit well into "bird groups" as I want to sit and draw and they want to move on. And given a choice of drawing or just birdwatching, drawing always wins out for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back