• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings (1 Viewer)

Julian Bell

Natural Born Birder
Waxwing movement is picking up. From singles and small flocks the last week or so several 30+ flocks seen moving through today.

Attachments

• Waxwing_8577_660.jpg
    Waxwing_8577_660.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 122
We have been seeing waxwings all week with numbers building yesterday.

What i am wondering was does anybody know where i can find info on the state of the berry crop accross scandinavia or does anybody know the state of play with it.

There was something mentioned about bramblings moving out of the continent and heading over here after their food crop seems to have collapsed on autumwatch last night. Can anybody shed some light on this as well ?

Don't know how these numbers compare with previous years, but seem high to me:

Loch Cill Chriosd, Skye 100; also nearby 300+ at Camustianavaig
Ord, Skye 50+ by Ord road
Torrin, Skye 200

I'd settle for 1 in Uddingston.....Or hamilton, I won't mind travelling for it.....

I wouldn't have thought tthere's enough food to sustain a lot of them for very long. Evevn the cotoneaster are getting a bit berry-less.

There seems to be good numbers here hovering up what ever they can find. They have beaten the redwings to a lot of it this year. I would love to know how the scandinavian berry crop is. That would help give a clue about the potential influx !!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back