• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stalking the Elusive Alpha (1 Viewer)

I argue against Nikon as an alpha binocular brand, but I think it is hard to deny that Nikon has long offered premium/top-end binoculars. Besides the HG/LX and EDG, when it comes to birding bins there was/is the Classic Eagle roof, SE (and EII) porros, and LX pocket roofs. Beyond that, they offer several excellent porro models for other purposes, including the ProStar, Astroluxe, and WX. The Nikon Fieldscopes had top-end performance when first released and later they offered superb performance at a budget price in comparison to their (sometimes slightly better) competition.The ED50 is still arguably the best smallest scope.

--AP

My concerns regarding Nikon and alpha lies in the fact I don't know where/who makes their models. Does a sticker on a good binocular makes that brand to deserve the A-status?
OK, the same can be said about the current Zeiss Terra/Conquest line but from these I know who manufacters them, which can't be said (except for the Lynx clone) about Nikon products.

Jan

My concerns regarding Nikon and alpha lies in the fact I don't know where/who makes their models. Does a sticker on a good binocular makes that brand to deserve the A-status?
OK, the same can be said about the current Zeiss Terra/Conquest line but from these I know who manufacters them, which can't be said (except for the Lynx clone) about Nikon products.

Jan

Well that could be said of the Zeiss SF or HT, I think perhaps in time it may be said of Swarovski. I have viewed all three of the current premium binoculars from Z,L, S and my EDGs will hang with them any day, regardless of where they are made.

A.W.

Well that could be said of the Zeiss SF or HT, I think perhaps in time it may be said of Swarovski. I have viewed all three of the current premium binoculars from Z,L, S and my EDGs will hang with them any day, regardless of where they are made.

A.W.

I agree completely. The Nikon EDG line is compatible/equel to the top dogs of Z/L/S.
AFAIK this line is Nikon made.

Jan

When an ole Swabby talks about food poisoning, it normally includes the consumption of rot-gut whiskey and whatever comes after consuming several pints of that is referred to as "food poisoning".

The Alpha term to me means the head/leader of whatever we are discussing. Relative to binoculars - it would be the best optical instrument the company puts out. When referencing ALPHA binocular companies, again, those putting out the best optical components in a binocular. Understanding the specifications of the optic is what will probably cause us to call a binocular an ALPHA.

All I think I might know is "ALPHA anything" usually runs into money - at least that is what the monkey said when he peed into the cash register.

THIS old "swabby" ... that's CHIEF to you 8-P8-P8-P doesn't drink anything stronger than Coka Cola. :cat:

Bill

PS Back to bed. Chills starting. I thought I had beaten it. That's what I get for thinking .. I'm not good at it.

Last edited:
Though I disagree completely wit Alexis on her thoughts on photography equipment I fully agree that Nikon is not an alpha binocular. When Roberts Camera downsized there binocular department I had a pair of EDG II's for a week at a large discount and returned them. They simply were not as good as my Kowa Genesis. Now Kowa doesn't charge enough nor promote enough to be called "Alpha" but they are a lot closer than most people know because few people have had the chance to look thru a pair. They may not equal the SF or Fl but they are awfully close. I purposely omitted Leica because I've never cared for them going back to the days of the bad close focus.
Steve

Though I disagree completely wit Alexis on her thoughts on photography equipment I fully agree that Nikon is not an alpha binocular. When Roberts Camera downsized there binocular department I had a pair of EDG II's for a week at a large discount and returned them. They simply were not as good as my Kowa Genesis...

I exclude Nikon because I argue that "alpha" is status term relating to brand prestige, not because of the quality of Nikon optics. I find the EDG II absolutely stunning optically, I use Nikon Fieldscopes exclusively, and all my camera equipment, both film and digital (apart from my Sony RX100 iv digital compact) is Nikon. I adore Nikon photography equipment, but the brand doesn't have the same prestige and exclusivity as e.g. Leica, Hasselblad, Zeiss/Contax. Kowa is in the same non-alpha boat despite making awesome binoculars and scopes.

--AP

Last edited:
Several things have come out of this discussion.

Out of the 1,024 (at this moment) visitors to this thread, no one has ventured to answer any of my 3 simple questions concerning the "Alpha" binocular. Should I take that to mean there is no universally accepted "Alpha"? Judging by the comments below my babbling, I would have to say so.

Tenex wonders why the subject keeps popping up. Well, why do some people talk endlessly about their secret formula for cleaning optics and act as if it is tantamount to brain surgery when professionals just do it with no need for fanfare.

Then, we see some folks have their doubts about Nikon being an "Alpha." And well they should. It reinforces what I have harped about for a long time IF THERE IS AN "ALPHA" OUT THERE, IT MUST BE BASED ON THE INSTRUMENT AND NOT ON THE BRAND NAME. All my best binoculars have been Nikon. However, part of that is due to the fact that I treasure quality of VALUE much more than bragging rights and I can assure you the birds couldn't care less. To me, 95% of the of the very best--especially when with decades in optics, I can't see the difference--at 1/3 to 1/2 the cost is a logical move. Nikon certainly SELLS some VERY fine binoculars. I don't know the OEM if it is not Nikon. One thing I have picked up over the years is that some of the most trusted names will not reveal where they get there "flagship" binoculars. And yes Gunut, with no deference to the navy, I think "flagship" is much more descriptive.

Stephen said, "I fully agree that Nikon is not an alpha binocular" [because] ... "They simply were not as good as my Kowa Genesis."

This is the slippery slope that so many on binocular forums find under foot-comparing a BRAND to a PARTICULAR INSTRUMENT. I would compare my 8x32 SE to anything else. But, I would lose no sleep over any disagreement because I know the vast amount of differences people claim they see in various instruments can't be seen by humans. In addition, no two people will see or RECOGNIZE the same issue in the same way or same degree.

While I agree that "Alpha" is incredibly overused, there was method in my madness. I was fishing for information for articles or--down the road-perhaps a book. We now return you to the program ... already in progress.

Bill

Jerry--Bill, the alpha brands are the ones that are the most expensive....

Edj--Can I tell the difference? Sometimes. Of course, "good enough" and "reasonably" vary with each of us;

Stan--A binocular that allows the operator to see the most detail in the most natural way without realizing that they are using a mechanical instrument. (Good job Stan!)

Pileatus--emphases customer service, not instruments.

Padd7-- As it probably means 'first' (as in letters of Greek(?) alphabet), i would assume it meant: best optical quality; best construction quality; best sales and after-sales service etc.
Now, of course, another jar of worms - what is 'best'? (Good question ... that has thousands of answers.)

Dennis--There must be something to alpha's. When objective or subjective testing is done they seem to rise to the top but the difference is only a few % so you have to decide if they are worth the difference. (Maybe I've missed it but I have yet to see the credentials of Allbinos reviewers or the equipment they use.)

Theo98--ALPHA OPTICS=What presents the Best Image, "To YOUR Eyes" (cost a Non-Factor)! As per Chuck's sentiments, I just as soon do away with the misleading term, Alpha?!
The-Wanderer--There are some who would claim that they can see more detail observing through some Canon binoculars, but they don't seem to emerge as being in the alpha class. (I have to agree with Denny on this one.)

Lee--I carelessly think of these brands' top-priced binos as alphas but this doesn't at all mean I think they are perfect, merely that as Chuck put it, they are the cat's meow or, as I put it now, the dog's dangly bits, in the eyes of the brands themselves.

Steve C.--I don't really remember where I even heard the term first applied, but as we seem to have need to pigeon-hole things. (Ain't it the truth, ain't it the truth!-the Cowardly Lion, 1939)

Kevin--I've always disliked the word "alpha" to describe binoculars. It's not very accurate.

Tenex--Yes, that's the problem. When you start talking about status people get very sensitive, even if you say "alpha quality"

Theo98--For instance, when I found "The One", it was the only time while glassing I uttered the affirmative phrase, "WOW"!! (My shop was full of the great ones but I enjoyed those WOW moments.)

Maljunulo--Indeed. It's all about the feelings as opposed to the facts. (succinct and accurate!)

Etudiant--Just my opinion, that Swaro reset the requirement for alpha status with their customer friendly service policies. (Looking beyond the mark. But that a piece of a closely related puzzle.)

[/B]Justabirdwatcher[/B]--So, this is where I have arrived after 25-30 years of playing with optics. There is alpha quality, and then there is "good enough."

Ceasar--I don't think that Nikon cares whether binocular aficionados think that their EDGs are "alphas" or not. (Not only are you correct, it should be recognized that trying to follow all the advice coming their way would force companies into bankruptcy.)

Jan--My concerns regarding Nikon and alpha lies in the fact I don't know where/who makes their models. Does a sticker on a good binocular makes that brand to deserve the A-status? (Only to the novice's novice.)

Bill,

Read my second post again. I thought I tried to cover your points. ;)

Yo, Steve Bob:

Sometimes accuracy is not precise. So, WHERE is that line drawn and name the person qualified to draw it; Give me a name.

Of course, considering you would be wasting your time, don't bother trying.

I once sold one of my Baywatch's to a brilliant friend with 2 doctorates-one was in optics. On it's arrival, he called me:

How do you focus it, with those little "turny things"? :cat:

Bill

Last edited:
Well, there are alpha products, then there are alpha companies who make optical products. Just because you make some alpha products doesn't mean your an alpha company. For instance, what can possibly be going through Leica USA's line of thinking when charging ultra premium prices gets you a great product with a warranty that cheap Chinese binoculars beat handily? Same goes for Nikon. IMO, there is an unsung brand, Meopta, that does both. In fact, these so called alpha companies think so much of Meopta that they let them be their OEM on certain products.

There are lots of alpha binoculars, and a very small handful of alpha optics companies. Those that qualify as both would be Swaro and Meopta.

Well, there are alpha products, then there are alpha companies who make optical products. Just because you make some alpha products doesn't mean your an alpha company. For instance, what can possibly be going through Leica USA's line of thinking when charging ultra premium prices gets you a great product with a warranty that cheap Chinese binoculars beat handily? Same goes for Nikon. IMO, there is an unsung brand, Meopta, that does both. In fact, these so called alpha companies think so much of Meopta that they let them be their OEM on certain products.

There are lots of alpha binoculars, and a very small handful of alpha optics companies. Those that qualify as both would be Swaro and Meopta.

Hi, John:

My original question was: where is the line drawn between "Alpha" binoculars and those VERY good binoculars that don't rate as being "Alphas"? Also, who is qualified to make that distinction?

Finally, what gives the reviewers the authority to make that distinction when many don't qualify any more than some of our BF readers——except that they have a MORE ALPHA vehicle for spreading their opinions. :cat:

Bill

If they have the capability and expertise to perform objective testing like Allbino's wouldn't they be more qualified than a Bird Forum Member to make the distinction because they are actually quantifying their results instead of relying on subjective opinions?

If they have the capability and expertise to perform objective testing like Allbino's wouldn't they be more qualified than a Bird Forum Member to make the distinction because they are actually quantifying their results instead of relying on subjective opinions?

Hi, Dennis:

I Totally agree! But, I haven't seen anything concerning their test equipment or personal. I'm not saying anything MORE than I haven't seen it. Perhaps you could send me a link.

Bill

Bill,

1. There can be no EXACT line between Alpha and incredibly good binoculars that fall short of Alpha because that implies agreement on a set of measurable features that would allow universal agreement on how to rank order the experience of using each binocular in a collection of binoculars. If there is anything demonstrated by this thread in particular and the forum more generally, it is that while you can take many objective measures of a binocular, the subjective response to that binocular will vary from one person to the next. You have stated as much in the “Which is Better?” section of da book.
  2. Nobody is qualified to draw a line which cannot be drawn. Yet, anyone is qualified to express what their experience of a particular binocular may be. To the extent that I have had experience which confirms (or denies) the experience of someone else with a given collection of binoculars, I have some calibration of the likelihood that their opinion of a binocular is likely to correlate with what I am likely to think about that binocular.
  3. Nothing should be seen as gospel (an interesting choice of words when you seem to be striving for objective measures). And yet, even in areas which are rather subjective I've been able to figure out whose advice I value. My point is that even without universal agreement on a precise ordering, we should not be surprised that an individual might discriminate between one binocular and another and thus have a preference. Nor should we be shocked to find others whose preferences mimic our own.
I have certainly found correlations between some objective measures and my rating of a binocular. For instance, there is some correlation between binocular price and my experience of optical/mechanical quality and customer service. But I also believe that each binocular is kind of a “blue plate special.” A large number of design, manufacturing, and after market serviceability decisions are made when a binocular is brought to market at a particular price point. There are always constraints and trade offs must be made. Sometimes the package suits you better and sometimes not so much. We see this even at the highest price points where there are definite differences in how the makers approach designing and marketing their top of the line offerings.

Alan

There is nothing wrong with Nikon's USA warranty. If you purchase a new non-gray market Nikon binocular and register it with Nikon and a problem shows up in it, simply contact Nikon by e-mail with your registration and purchase information and they will either repair it or replace it with a new one at their option.

I have had a well used 4 year old EDG replaced with a new binocular and a one month old Monarch HG replaced with a new binocular under Nikon's warranty.

I am confident that they will do the same thing with their numerous economy line binoculars.

Bob

Last edited:

Who says Allbinos perform "objective testing"?

Hermann

Today’s Alphas are tomorrow’s...???
Seems to be mostly a marketing term.. to help cope with market saturation?

PEter

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back