• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aperture v ED (1 Viewer)

Robert Ellis

Larus marinus
It seems that at just about any price point one has a choice between a bigger scope and one with ED glass. One can get a good ED 60ish mm scope for near the price of a good 80ish mm scope, and the same can be said for the new 50mm ED scopes compared to their 60mm standard glass counterparts.

I would prefer to have a smaller scope with ED glass qualifying that I rarely need over 30x.

Let's have some others chime in on their thoughts. Forced to choose would you take ED or aperture?

Robert Ellis said:
It seems that at just about any price point one has a choice between a bigger scope and one with ED glass. One can get a good ED 60ish mm scope for near the price of a good 80ish mm scope, and the same can be said for the new 50mm ED scopes compared to their 60mm standard glass counterparts.

I would prefer to have a smaller scope with ED glass qualifying that I rarely need over 30x.

Let's have some others chime in on their thoughts. Forced to choose would you take ED or aperture?

ED because i can't be bothered to lug a big scope around anyway, my manfrotto 190 and Zeiss 65 are more than heavy enough

I guess it depends on what the scope is going to be used for. If for digiscoping then I'd definitely go with the ED glass - even though it's a smaller objective.

If for just 'normal' viewing then I'd likely opt for the larger objective since in my experience the eye is less discerning than a camera. A larger objective means a brighter and wider view - ideal for dull conditions or evening use. Also the reason for me having a scope is to get a bit more reach than my binoculars - the larger objective giving more reach than the smaller. On the other hand if I were likely to be carying it far then a smaller scope would be better.

In the end I went for the compromise - larger objective but the most compact design - but probably the dearest one of the lot!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back