• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Serial number on BA's??? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Rowlands

Wales
Hi all,

Just had a friend contact me to help check out a pair of 8x40's he's been offered, can someone tell me if the serial number 950201 is valid for 8x40BA's?

Andy.

The 8x40BA has not been made since 1990 - having just checked it seems that the serial number is correct and the bins were made in 1984.
At that age they will be the model with fold down rubber eyecups and might be branded either Leica or Leitz, obviously they are waterproof. I guess if the are optically sound and the price is right they'd be worth getting, but make sure they check them very carefully first.

Last edited:
just a small addition to this thread. The old syle Trinovid of which this is an example is not waterproof. It is showerproof but the fully waterproof version of the Trinovid was not introduced until 1990 with the x32/42/50 BA series which are waterproof to 5m. gary.

True, Gary, but IMO they're almost as good as waterproof. I wouldn't want to drop them in a pond, but they can withstand pretty torrential showers. I've never has a moment's trouble with mine.

Bluetail said:
True, Gary, but IMO they're almost as good as waterproof. I wouldn't want to drop them in a pond, but they can withstand pretty torrential showers. I've never has a moment's trouble with mine.

Just for the record....

A friend of mine fell in a stream with his pair of these bins, and they fogged up. They cleared up completely in several days on their own, and he has not had trouble with them. So, yes, they are probably splash-proof, but I would not recommend swimming with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back