• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Used telephoto lens sources (1 Viewer)

Hirundapus

Does anyone know any good sources for used (ie cheaper than new!) Canon telephoto photo lenses in the UK?
Are there any company websites that can be recommended, preferably with prices?
If so, how much do the various Canon 400mm, 500m and 600mm lenses go for in good condition used, I wonder?
Also, is it possible to pick these lenses up new significantly cheaper abroad (as seems to be the case with us Brits getting klobbered for everything)?

Canon lenses hold their value extremely well. US prices for used Canon telephotos are not much more than 10-15% off the internet retail prices for new warrantied lenses. Of course, with the prices of some of these lenses, that 10-15% can be quite a bit! Used lenses can be had on eBay - just beware of the usual scams.

I can also highly recommend DigitalRev in HongKong as a trusted seller on Ebay, gotta good deal on a 100-400 canon lens where they paid back my import tax no problem other items also been good prices.

I always browse Warehouseexpress.com for refurbished or returned lenses - got my Sigma 170-500 from them, was actually new with a full warranty.

As Jim noted, the better Canon lenses retain their value very well, so you don't save a great amount here. Be wary of EBAY, because even high ratings don't assure that a seller is a reputable person. With used equipment, I have had good luck with KEH, which is a very large firm operating out of Atlanta. They have a good website that is up to date in terms of inventory, and their ratings of lens conditions are very conservative. B&H has a mixed reputation on used equipment, although on new items they are first rate. Bob

rwhillman said:
As Jim noted, the better Canon lenses retain their value very well, so you don't save a great amount here. Be wary of EBAY, because even high ratings don't assure that a seller is a reputable person. With used equipment, I have had good luck with KEH, which is a very large firm operating out of Atlanta. They have a good website that is up to date in terms of inventory, and their ratings of lens conditions are very conservative. B&H has a mixed reputation on used equipment, although on new items they are first rate. Bob

I agree with Bob. I have used KEH for many years and never had a complaint. As he notes, their lens ratings are very conservative. Every lens I bought from them was cleaner than I expected.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back