• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bempton Cliffs (1 Viewer)

chris3871

Explorer Extraordinaire
I have a feeling today might be a good day, i've heard a booming bittern, seen a kingfisher and watched a marsh harrier being mobbed by terns all before 8am. What an exciting half hour!

Anyway, yesterday was good too, cos we decided to go to Bempton Cliffs. Despite some threats of rain we managed to stay dry and caught up with the usual list of birds to be seen at Bempton. Good numbers of all seabirds, about the same as usual, with plenty on eggs or chicks. We saw the tiniest gannet chick ever. Also saw plenty of birds with plenty of fish, is the North Sea supply okay at the moment? Its one of the greatest worries with all this climate change.

We spotted about 6 puffins which is usually about what we normally see. I don't know how many there are but i do know they can be tricky to find. Its just a case of looking out for their orange wellies!

Noticed also, jackdaw numbers seem to be on the up at Bempton, unless i've never noticed them before. I guess there's plenty of food for a jackdaw, i just hope they don't make a nuisance of themselves.

A good day was had by all really, i even got chance to hone my golf skills afterwards at Sewerby park.

Anyone else been to Bempton lately?
Oh, and i got some pics...(including a lovely view of the cliff top flowers. i'm dead into plants these days, don't you know)

Attachments

• puffin.JPG
    puffin.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 55
  • bempton flow'rs.JPG
    bempton flow'rs.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 54
  • kittiwake.JPG
    kittiwake.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 55
Hi Chris

Sounds like you had a great day, and it looks like you're about to have another!

Lovely pictures, I like the puffin riding the wind. I saw my first puffin on the ferry to Islay in April, but it was at some distance, zooming across the waves at high speed. It'd be nice to see them up close, I've never been to a seabird colony before, but its something I've always wanted to do. I'll need to find out where the nearest one is.

Take care

Hi Chris + Fi

There are clearly advantages in being up and about early morning.;-) I take it that they birds you saw/heard were very local?

Your trip to Bempton sounds a good un. I hope the colonies do well this year. Early days me thinks to estimate how well they are doing, although I seem to recall the news from Shetland on Springwatch was not so good with regard the sand eels again.

The pics are good. That one of the Puffin especially so.

Take care

If the birds you heard and saw before 8AM today are on your land, then the rest of us are not worthy.

Bempton sounds like a good place to go, I'll probably go there when I spend a few days birding on the east coast in a few years time.

Hi Chris,

Did you start your day at Blacktoft Sands by any chance? Sounds good wherever it was.

I was at Bempton Cliffs in early May and, apart from all the seabirds (only saw one Puffin) and the more common warblers, I heard a Grasshopper warbler reeling in the hedge just below the visitor centre. The best, or worst, part of being on the cliff tops when the birds are nesting is the noise and the pong, especially if the wind is coming from the sea!

I'm into wild flowers too and there's always a good display at Bempton at this time of year, especially the Red Campion as your photo clearly shows. Just talking about it has made me want to go again but, unless I make an effort earlier, it will be October before my next visit.

Bea said:
Hi Chris,

Did you start your day at Blacktoft Sands by any chance? Sounds good wherever it was.

I was at Bempton Cliffs in early May and, apart from all the seabirds (only saw one Puffin) and the more common warblers, I heard a Grasshopper warbler reeling in the hedge just below the visitor centre. The best, or worst, part of being on the cliff tops when the birds are nesting is the noise and the pong, especially if the wind is coming from the sea!

I'm into wild flowers too and there's always a good display at Bempton at this time of year, especially the Red Campion as your photo clearly shows. Just talking about it has made me want to go again but, unless I make an effort earlier, it will be October before my next visit.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

You were close Bea, i was at Far Ings this morning, a LWT site not that far from blacktoft. I should of kept my ears open for the grasshopper warblers at Bempton, but i was just thinking about getting to the cliffs and seeing the seabirds. I did note a lot of meadow pipits and skylarks, not to mention tree sparrows in the fields around. Its funny you say about going in October, i've not been before outside of seabird breeding time, but i really want to get up there this november for the Short Eared Owls.

I suppose Bri is right about estimating seabird numbers, but i'm sure that we'll find out in due course. When we were there a guy with a scope was busy counting for the RSPB.

Ant, do let us know if you get over this way, won't you? I reckon you'll enjoy it.

chris3871 said:
I have a feeling today might be a good day, i've heard a booming bittern, seen a kingfisher and watched a marsh harrier being mobbed by terns all before 8am. What an exciting half hour!

Anyway, yesterday was good too, cos we decided to go to Bempton Cliffs. Despite some threats of rain we managed to stay dry and caught up with the usual list of birds to be seen at Bempton. Good numbers of all seabirds, about the same as usual, with plenty on eggs or chicks. We saw the tiniest gannet chick ever. Also saw plenty of birds with plenty of fish, is the North Sea supply okay at the moment? Its one of the greatest worries with all this climate change.

We spotted about 6 puffins which is usually about what we normally see. I don't know how many there are but i do know they can be tricky to find. Its just a case of looking out for their orange wellies!

Noticed also, jackdaw numbers seem to be on the up at Bempton, unless i've never noticed them before. I guess there's plenty of food for a jackdaw, i just hope they don't make a nuisance of themselves.

A good day was had by all really, i even got chance to hone my golf skills afterwards at Sewerby park.

Anyone else been to Bempton lately?
Oh, and i got some pics...(including a lovely view of the cliff top flowers. i'm dead into plants these days, don't you know)

Hi Chris

I was at Bempton Sunday. One Puffin posed quite close! There were considerably more at Flamborough Head and I found some whilst eating my fish & chips at Thornwick Bay.

quite a spectacle isn't it

Hi Chris Sounds like a good interesting birding day, our local RSPB club are running a bus trip to Bempton Cliffs in late September, in view of this posting Ive now decided I will definitely be booking a place. Hope we see some Puffins.

Yours PeterK

chris3871 said:
Ant, do let us know if you get over this way, won't you? I reckon you'll enjoy it.

I will do Chris. I'll probably try to get over your way with the caravan for 2 nights next year.

PeterK said:
Hi Chris Sounds like a good interesting birding day, our local RSPB club are running a bus trip to Bempton Cliffs in late September, in view of this posting Ive now decided I will definitely be booking a place. Hope we see some Puffins.

Yours PeterK

Peter, late september will be too late for puffins unless you are very lucky....there might be an odd juvenile on the sea but the cliffs will be empty of auks. There'll be mostly pigeons and gulls....although you will have the migrants going through, so chances of various warblers and chats.

Keith Dickinson said:
Peter, late september will be too late for puffins unless you are very lucky....there might be an odd juvenile on the sea but the cliffs will be empty of auks. There'll be mostly pigeons and gulls....although you will have the migrants going through, so chances of various warblers and chats.

In late september I can recommend the skua and shearwater cruises running from Brid on the Yorkshire Belle. Its organised by the RSPB and is good to sea most of the usual seabirds plus skuas and shearwaters (hence the name) I think they do sometimes get puffins on these trips too, but not that often. It is a little late. Well worth it though, especially as last time i saw my first whale!

chris3871 said:
In late september I can recommend the skua and shearwater cruises running from Brid on the Yorkshire Belle. Its organised by the RSPB and is good to sea most of the usual seabirds plus skuas and shearwaters (hence the name) I think they do sometimes get puffins on these trips too, but not that often. It is a little late. Well worth it though, especially as last time i saw my first whale!

They are good cruises Chris, I have to take pot luck with them as i can only do Sunday ones...difficult to get Saturday off work. I have had some good birds on them...Sabine's gull. Pomarine skua, and one year a flock of over 100 Little gulls. I have missed whales, too slow getting from one side of the boat to the other, but have seen several harbour porpoises and seals from the boat.
Pretty much guaranteed Arctic skua and Manx shearwater though...occassional Sooty shearwater and Great Skua.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back